which mic next for my meagre collection?

jawjatek

I got a fine-sounding (to my ears) project studio going. For pres, I have 4 on my FF800 and a lunchbox with an API 512c and a Purple Biz, as well as a 2 ch tube DIY G9 I am building, and a cheapo RNC squisher. Time for another mic purchase for the locker to bump my cheap-o-but-good collection.

Mics I have are 2 x SM57, Beta58, Senn E609, Audix D6 & i5. What should I get next? I mostly work with my own blues crew and other blues and rock bands, some acoustic, for friends and such. I'm thinking maybe a 421 or ...

TIA :dude

Some kind of condensor maybe?

You don't appear to have any sort of "vocal" mic.

You also lack overheads for a kit or good acoustic mics.

Not being rude, just analyzing your needs.

I have 2 MD421's and love them, but I'm not sure if another dynamic mic will help you right now.

I think you need some small diaphragm condensors and a decent vocal condensor. I think that will really help you out.

I'd look at maybe a ribbon mic for guitars as well (cascade fathead, maybe).

I think you are MORE than set on pres for a LONG time.

Some different types of microphones will probably be better for you than another dynamic (even if it IS an awesome dynamic).

Good luck,
Tim

sethmeister

An MD421 is a good thing to have as they pair very well with a 57 for recording guitars and they're also useful for toms...

But you really need some condensors!

At least one good quality large diaphragm condensor.

One pair of small diaphragm condensors for drum overheads, stereo micing of acoustic guitars, etc.

jawjatek

I appreciate the reply, and you're both right. I definitely need a LDC and a pair of overheads.

For overhead pair, I am currently considering either a pair of Rode NT5s, Kel HM-1s, Fatheads, or the modded Octava mk-12s from Michael Joly.

For a versatile LDC for vocals primarily, I'm looking at the AT4050, KSM32, Sterling ST55, or maybe even a Studio Projects C3.

There may be better choices, so I'm asking around... off to search this forum and gearslutz for recs

dash_doc

I appreciate the reply, and you're both right. I definitely need a LDC and a pair of overheads.

For overhead pair, I am currently considering either a pair of Rode NT5s, Kel HM-1s, Fatheads, or the modded Octava mk-12s from Michael Joly.

For a versatile LDC for vocals primarily, I'm looking at the AT4050, KSM32, Sterling ST55, or maybe even a Studio Projects C3.

There may be better choices, so I'm asking around... off to search this forum and gearslutz for recs

I'm a big fan of the Kel HM-1s, IMOP hard to beat at that price point.

jawjatek

Thanks. Just found a screaming deal on a used pair of MK-012 SDCs. I will try them first, but I'll probably send them to Joly for modding. They should work for OH and acoustic guitar. I'll plan on snagging an SM7 when I find a good deal on one, as well as some sort of LDC...

Gi-gi-giggity

Thanks. Just found a screaming deal on a used pair of MK-012 SDCs. I will try them first, but I'll probably send them to Joly for modding. They should work for OH and acoustic guitar. I'll plan on snagging an SM7 when I find a good deal on one, as well as some sort of LDC...

You really can't go wrong with the AT 40 series. Call Atlanta Pro Audio...I'm fairly certain they had a 4050 used for sale for $300ish?
Do you guys play out...if so, where?

Just asking cause I'm local.

IPlayHamers

Rode NT2000 is extremely useful in many different situations. I've used it on vocals, guitar cabs, overheads, room, etc and it always delivered great sound. For about $600 street, it could be one of the best investments you ever make.

r_cressw

You really can't go wrong with the AT 40 series. Call Atlanta Pro Audio...I'm fairly certain they had a 4050 used for sale for $300ish?
Do you guys play out...if so, where?

Just asking cause I'm local.

Agreed. Great mics for the price, and you can get the studio packs for overheads for drums (2 shotgun mics, or one vocal mic and a shotgun, depending on which pack).

jawjatek

Giggity: My band is not gigging lately since the drummer dropped out for heath reasons suddenly last month, and I'm looking for/breaking in a new drummer. I do sit in with my buds the Breeze Kings sometimes when they play near the house, and sometimes do fill-in gigs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom