• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which mid frequency range do TS and Klon style pedals push?

Junta

I am trying to make the best of the gear I already have to come close to bluesy, SRV like tones at bedroom levels... Yes, I have watched the latest related episode of that pedal show... But to be fair, my quest has been going on for years now... ;)

My 1 watt/0.1 watt Marshall JVM 1 goes into clipping territory (singing harmonics and all that jazz) on the clean channel very nicely, better at the 1 watt setting (which is still too loud for night time) than the 0.1 watt setting (this is good 24 hours... but without the rich harmonics... they are probably still there, but good luck hearing them).

Using the awesome Empress Paraeq:

• If I cut (-6db with a medium Q) the bass freq at around 65-80 hZ,
  • give a lowish hi freq a boost (+6db with medium Q)
  • Using the independent clean boost (this is available in v2 of the pedal. I use around approximately +7db)
I get a base bluesy tone which is not too bad.

What mid freq range should I boost to get in the ball park of:

• Tubescreamer type pedals
  • Klon type pedals
It is difficult to tweak the Q setting and play smth 'real' at the same time. Plus there are other parameters to tweak (amp eq, guitar tone, potential additional pedals, etc).

I understand the nature of the clipping and other technical aspects of the pedals matter a lot (otherwise why pay $$$$ for the clone, right?). Like I said, I am trying to make the best of what I already have.

If I cannot get closer to the tones I am trying achieve with this set up, no big deal, I will get a TS mini or a Tumnus or both :)

Now if only there were a boost for SRV style talent... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Last edited:

Junta

OK... Looks like this is a tough one! OK, let me ask you this:

Does anyone use an EQ or EQ/boost combo for what I am trying to accomplish?

saltbird

Boosting frequencies isn't going to make it sound like a tubescreamer or a klon at all. Those pedals do have a boost in the mids but that's just a small part of their overall character. The primary difference is overdrives saturate and clip parts of the frequency spectrum while EQ's just cleanly boost them.

The traditional tubescreamer mid boost is around 715-720Hz however I believe it's not technically a mid boost, but a bass and treble cut early on in the circuit that gives the pronounced mid bump.

sidehatch

Not starting crud here but I have asked ...What frequencies do Dumbles push. Especially the ODS that robben,larry and sonny have used? Not that I want that.

Nobody could answer or would answer. There has to be a way to play the pedal/amp/whatever and analyze it on a spectrograph (I known nothing) and help us dummies (me) at least see where in the hearing spectrum our desires lie.

Junta

:) I hear you!

There are IOS freq spectrum analyzers available for iphone... But not cheap! I am beginning to think I need one of those to answer my own question...

Junta

Boosting frequencies isn't going to make it sound like a tubescreamer or a klon at all. Those pedals do have a boost in the mids but that's just a small part of their overall character. The primary difference is overdrives saturate and clip parts of the frequency spectrum while EQ's just cleanly boost them.

The traditional tubescreamer mid boost is around 715-720Hz however I believe it's not technically a mid boost, but a bass and treble cut early on in the circuit that gives the pronounced mid bump.
That's helpful, thank you - actually, That Pedal Show had gotten into this in the episode on EQ... Placing an EQ (taking into consideration the freq info you provided above) before a boost is worth a try.

saltbird

I should have mentioned putting some kind of overdrive or boost after the eq because yes, that's some good advice for getting closer.

That's helpful, thank you - actually, That Pedal Show had gotten into this in the episode on EQ... Placing an EQ (taking into consideration the freq info you provided above) before a boost is worth a try.

Junta

I should have mentioned putting some kind of overdrive or boost after the eq because yes, that's some good advice for getting closer.
Which begs the question - does the Empress ParaEQ first EQ then boost, or vice versa? Their customer service is so awesome (I have multiple empress products!), I will find out about this right away!

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
The low-mid bump on a Klon (or good Klone) seems quite a bit lower than the mid-bump of a Tube Screamer ...and anyone who argues that they are similar or the same would not get my vote for Most Accurate Ears In The Western Hemisphere.

-bEn r.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
OK - some 'strategic' choices there then... Thanks!
I have a CircuitRider Fx Klone (TGP affiliated) where the low mid bump is great and the breakup is nice although it seems a bit skinnier sounding than the Tumnus and BYOC. However, it's been on on my board for three years and it's staying there.

The Wampler Tumnus sounded really good in most respects but it just had way too much very low end for me but it might work great for you.

The Chellee Ponyboy seemed a bit stiff and different and did not seem much like a Klone to me ...but it is well-built and inexpensive and some people swear that it is their favorite.

The BYOC Silver Pony has a great feel and Klon-like breakup and low-mid bump but there is also a very slight cocked-Wah thing to the overall EQ that I wish I could dial out.

The Bondi Sick As is a really nice overdrive that is very Klon-like in most respects but it pushes the upper mids really hard and you can't dial it out (much like the DOD Looking Glass) and that may or may not work for you.

I would like to try the Klones by Frederic, Arc, RYRA, Mojopedals, Rimrock, Monsterpiece, etc. to see how they compare.

It's kinda like a chili recipe ...everyone seems to bring something different to it, intentionally or not.

-bEn r.

Junta

It's kinda like a chili recipe ...everyone seems to bring something different to it, intentionally or not.
I think you nailed it! Cheers.

Do you have a strat?
The closest I have to a Strat is a Music Man Albert Lee Signature HH which does the best single coil impression I have heard to date with coil tap (Les Paul's impression sounds like a joke...in comparison)

ogguitar

Best I can tell, Klons push low mids (think the E- A- and D-strings or the "warm" area), TS cuts more than pushes as previously mentioned (the previous 700ish Hz figures seem about right) and does so a string or two higher than Klons, Dumbles push upper mids - I'd guess somewhere around 1-2kHz or higher for that vocal quality/chirp/mix-cutting thing they've got going on. I typically prefer Dumble style mids with a slight hi-cut. I only cut bass on fairly high gain stuff. I have a rather dark/smooth touch, often play humbucker guitars with darker tone woods, and tend to choose neutral to darker amps. So klon mids can sound muddy or get lost in the mix a lot with my set up and style.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom