Which Mini Humbuckers to buy?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Lestercollector, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

I'm looking to buy a new set of mini humbuckers for a Les Paul project I'm working on and was wondering what the Gear Page folks recommend?

Mini's came out of this guitar, so I would like to put mini's back in.

2. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I've got a set of Tom Anderson mini hums in one of my guitars and they're pretty cool. I have an M1 in the neck and an M3 (which is hotter) in the bridge. They have a slightly modern sound to them that I'm personally not crazy about, but I can see why people love them. They are punchy but not muddy and have a pretty balanced sound, particuarly the M1.

I prefer a more vintage tone, so I've been looking for something else to put into this guitar, but haven't come across the right thing yet. I'm strongly considering a set of Lollar Mini Hums or P90s.

3. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

4. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

I've got the Dimarzio DP168s and the Duncan SM2s.

I listened to the duncan sound samples, and the SM2s sounded the clearest. I really hate muddy neck pickups, so the ceramic magnet in the SM2 gives the brightness and airy-ness that I like. I'm really digging this pickup - if you can live with the stamped Duncan logo on it.

The Dimarzios sound rather good, but are a bit fat - cool for jazz, but not cleans or country. What I did there was wire in a series/cut/parallel switch - FANTASTIC. Adds huge dimension, now I can get fat jazz, twangy country or chimey faux acoustics from the same set of buckers.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

You won't find any better than Lollars.

6. hipfan

hipfan Member

Sounds good! I have a set of those that I swap in and out of an Agile LP copy. I went with 300K (actually more like 350K) volume pots and 500K tone pots. Plenty of presence for that guitar. However, I wouldn't change a thing with your set-up. Sounds really nice the way it is.

Did you have a chance to compare the Antiquities to the stock Gibsom mini-hums?

7. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I swapped the pots and caps at the same time I swapped the pickups, so the change may not all be attributable to the pickups, but the stock setup was a bit warmer. Still had plenty of bite, but also some additional warmth that I have a hard time dialing in with the new setup. Of course, the old pickups were also microphonic as hell to the point of being unusable...

The solo on this tune was done with the stock mini-hums shortly before I swapped 'em out. I was in a different room from my cab, so the microphonic pickups didn't squeal while I was doing the take. The rhythm was a Les Paul studio with full-size hummers.