Which Modeler Has the Best Marshall Tones? The Answer is Obvious...Cordy says, Duh!!!

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
Cordy has quickly become a full blown Fractal fanboy(but still tries to be nice to his large longtime Helix subscriber base :bong). He is also very adept at navigating, dialing in, tweaking the AXE3/FM9/FM3 strictly from the actual units themselves...imagine that:cool:

That sounds insanely good!

hemmelight

Copying my comment from Youtube - Totally agreed. I hated all of the Marshalls in the Helix that ultimately led to me giving up with it. Not a single one sounded right to me. The only decent Marshall-flavoured amp I found was the Friedman, with the Bogner Shiva a close second. Since buying an FM3 every Marshall sounds like it should. Super fun!

I just discovered the Cameron Atomica last night and think it might be my new go-to.
I've only had the FM3 for a few weeks and have already found a number of amps that I could be happy with. It's quite satisfying after screwing with the Helix for years and never being 100% happy with anything. :bonk

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
For all of the smoke I give to Neural DSP over their epic mishandling of the Quad Cortex, I have to say that it is probably my favorite source of Marshall tones out of all the big guys - Kemper and Fractal included.

The stock Plexi and JCM800 models sound fantastic. The BE-100 model smokes too. It comes with a pretty nice Marshall-adjacent set of captures of an ADA MP1, Custom Audio 3SE, Bogner Fish, Victory Sheriff and ENGL Blackmore among others. Out in the cloud, it has an amazing set of captures from Headfirst Amplification out of Australia. That guy - Jason Tong - lives and breathes modded Marshalls, and he's done almost every part of the spectrum and captured it all for Quad Cortex.

The one thing I do not lack in this little box is Marshall tones.

Fractal has a great selection of them no doubt....I'm just a little happier with what Quad Cortex offers on that front. As much as I love Helix, I also agree that it's the weak spot of that platform.

Last edited:

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
For all of the smoke I give to Neural DSP over their epic mishandling of the Quad Cortex, I have to say that it is probably my favorite source of Marshall tones out of all the big guys - Kemper and Fractal included.

The stock Plexi and JCM800 models sound fantastic. It comes with a pretty nice Marshall-adjacent set of captures of an ADA MP1, Custom Audio 3SE, Bogner Fish, Victory Sheriff and ENGL Blackmore among others. Out in the cloud, it has an amazing set of captures from Headfirst Amplification out of Australia. That guy - Jason Tong - lives and breathes modded Marshalls, and he's done almost every part of the spectrum and captured it all for Quad Cortex.

The one thing I do not lack in this little box is Marshall tones.

Fractal has a great selection of them no doubt....I'm just a little happier with what Quad Cortex offers on that front. As much as I love Helix, I also agree that it's the weak spot of that platform.

I've no experience with the QC - shock horror :) - but I've said to others posting here on TGP, if Marshalls are your "jam", then get a Fractal device :)

BTW ..... as I must add ;) ..... if you want absolutely classic rock / classic hard rock tones, the GT 1000 X-Crunch, Supreme, Maximum and X-Rodded with the stock AIRD Cabs are just sublime in terms of sound, feel, dynamics and 3 discrete-and-different gain structures per amp :)

All the best,
Ben

Last edited:

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
I've no experience with the QC - shock horror :) - but I've said to others posting here on TGP, if Marshalls are your "jam", then get a Fractal device :)

BTW ..... as I must add ;) ..... if you want absolutely classic rock / classic hard rock tones, the GT 1000 X-Crunch, Supreme, Maximum and X-Rodded with the stock AIRD Cabs are just sublime in terms of sound, feel, dynamics and multiple gain structures per amp :)

All the best,
Ben

Agreed on the GT-1000 stuff! For Marshall sounds, those "X" amps absolutely kill. It does almost no other signature amp tones with any real distinction, but they nailed that much.

To your point, Fractal has a 10-year+ library of Marshall models that have been continuously iterated upon....that's hard to beat. I found some great capture packs on Kemper, no doubt, but it took some doing.

pwnzie

I'd sign up for FM9 but it's €2.200 circa compared to $1,599.99 in US... alright then! so checked FM3 and it goes for 1.399,00€ compared to $1,099.99 US. Used prices also reflect that difference.

That is bs markup. And g66.eu can go f... guess where.

I'll agree with Jono on that, I've had lots (albeit cheap) modellers with hohum Marshall tones but since getting the FM3, the Marshall amps in it are superb. They sound even better with the Suhr / Celestion and Friedman cab IRs I have loaded. Also the Marshall like amps such as the Splawn Nitro, Friedman Smallbox, BE & HBE, Bogners, Cameron's all sound terrific too. My favs happen to be the Plexi 2204 and JVM410 OD2 Orange all pushed with a tube screamer through Suhr 4 x12 V30s and Suhr 2x12 creamback cabs.

Last edited:

BisGuy

I'd sign up for FM9 but it's €2.200 circa compared to $1,599.99 in US... alright then! so checked FM3 and it goes for 1.399,00€ compared to $1,099.99 US. Used prices also reflect that difference.

That is bs markup. And g66.eu can go f... guess where.
You can buy from the US, but as far as I know:
  • You have to add sales tax
  • You have to add shipping overseas
  • You have to add customs clearance cost

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
The QC Marshalls aren't bad, but I'll take the Fractal over it any day for Marshall tones!

The Marshalls in the QC are much more "polite". They sound great if you want a Marshall tone that is sort of pre-processed and smoothed out. They also have more emphasis in the low mids and "chug" more at high gain.

The Marshalls in the Fractal are much more raw and like a real Marshall that hasn't been studio processed. They sound much more natural, and they are way more responsive. They worked much better for me than the QC when I wanted clean -> pushed Marshall tones rather than the high gain modern Marshall tones.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
The QC Marshalls aren't bad, but I'll take the Fractal over it any day for Marshall tones!

The Marshalls in the QC are much more "polite". They sound great if you want a Marshall tone that is sort of pre-processed and smoothed out. They also have more emphasis in the low mids and "chug" more at high gain.

The Marshalls in the Fractal are much more raw and like a real Marshall that hasn't been studio processed. They sound much more natural, and they are way more responsive. They worked much better for me than the QC when I wanted clean -> pushed Marshall tones rather than the high gain modern Marshall tones.

Wow...that is the exact opposite of my experience when I had the QC and FM3 at the same time. We all hear and feel stuff differently, I guess...

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
It's quite satisfying after screwing with the Helix for years and never being 100% happy with anything.

Kinda ironic isn't it? Fractal devices often get dissed for having too much complexity and deep editing but I spend way, way less times dialing things in on the FM3 than I did with the HX Stomp where I was constantly fiddling trying to get things to sound a certain way.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom