which modeling amp to buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rouss, Feb 28, 2012.

Whic one sounds the least synthetic and has the warmest tone?(reasons and experiences

1. fender mustang series

2. vox vt series

3. peavey viper series

4. line 6

5. They all suck and sound very digital

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rouss

rouss Member

I figured this forum would be ok , we are talking about amps

2. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

My friend just A/B'ed his Viper against his Fender GDEC. As far as amp modeling goes, he said the GDEC had more tonal options and more bells & Whistles, but the Viper models actually sounded better.

3. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Got a Mustang III about 6 months ago and still love it. No other modeler I've had has lasted half that long.

4. Nikola

Nikola Member

I've always had a Vox Valvetronix VT 100-XL and they have served me well from bedroom applications to small gigs.
    They have some circuitry to simulate the warmth of a tube amp.
    They also have a new line called the Valvetronix Pro which could be worth checking out.

5. jp1977

jp1977 Member

If u want one that actually sounds warm and authentic in feel then check out a fender super champ xd . They are great amps for the money with different amp models and nice effects to choose and a real tube power section and pi. The ones u listed above sound very digital and can't compete with the xd.

6. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Vox sounds good to my ears - one of my students has one. Not great, but certainly good, and better than the SS crap we used in the 90s (Marshall Valvestate, Laney Linebackers etc). I can't stand the sound of the others. Line6 used to make a couple of reasonable sounding amps, but they were the big and heavy ones - kinda defeats the object of going for a modelling amp. The Spiders are horrid IMO.

7. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I have used Vox Valvetronix for small stage venues and find them flexible and they do a great job. Currently I use a Vox VT80+ for this application and they are easy to use, to tweak on the fly, and very versatile.

8. rouss

rouss Member

I have a small spider . They are cheap as hell and worth the money I guess . But no their not to great sounding.

9. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

The L6 DT series are the best modelling amp available at this time.

They work great with the HD PODs.

10. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

A year to two ago, I wanted a small giggable modeling amp. I tried them all. I chose the Vox. Here's my write-up:

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2010/07/20/vox-vt30-valvetronix-amp-review/

[​IMG]

That little amp sounded so good that it convinced me to take the Axe-FX plunge. If a$250 modeler could sound so good, I figured the big boy would kill. I wasn't disappointed.

11. champster

champster Member

I've got a Mustang III. I heard a lot of good about the Mustangs and guess what, they sound like a typical POS SS amp. The Mustang is up for sale. Tubes are the way to go for good tone.

12. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

The two best sounding modelling amps in my experience are the Peavey Vypyr and the Yamaha DG (discontinued). While all modelling amps do varying levels of high gain sounds, etc. I think that the Vypyr and the Yamaha have the best clean and light grind sounds, at least with my guitar collection.

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I have the mustang III and just sold my vox vt50.... The mustang was much more realistic FEELING. Tonally they were close.... But the mustang feel is really natural. I just wish it could get more top end chime....

14. Lance

Lance Member

I have a little Vox Mini 3, and am always impressed at the sounds that come out of that little thing. A good tele on the black panel 2 x 12 model, some reverb, and the tremolo, and you can get darn close to vintage princeton reverb tone! The high gain models still have that, wrapped in cellophane sound, but maybe someday.

15. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

Dude the Kemper Profiling amp blows all away. You can do your own modeling then. Take it to your buddies house that has awesome amps and STEAL HIS TONE! lol

16. DarthVanHollis

DarthVanHollis Member

You give 4 options, some of which were just a brand name and others were an actual model.

The style of music will really dictate which might be better for a certain situation. It's all opinion anyway.

I have the DT-50 head (only digital pre-amp) and I love it. I have not tried the others and I don't need to because I am satisfied at this point. I used to have the HD-147 and was not nearly as pleased with it.

Another option you did not give is the Marshall JMD series which are digital preamp and tube power amp. Those are supposed to sound pretty good.

17. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

vt vox are great...I have a 30 watt vox and it is awesome

18. socalscott

socalscott Member

Tech21 has the Trademarks. Very flexible for a non-virtual amp.
    Analog is your ears friend. lol

See if long term users are waiting for the next version. D'oh!

19. CrossHair

CrossHair Member

This ---^

CH

20. dweebetweek

dweebetweek Member

Yeah the Kemper does sound pretty good until you compare it with the real amp and the feel difference is enough to make me always want to go with the real thing. There is still something missing, bloom, dynamics etc. I had the same issue with the Axe , very close but not there yet