Which modern Boutique amps nail the early EVH "Brown Sound"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AJ Love, Oct 9, 2006.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Lots of threads here on the Dumble clones. Another guitar amp sound I love is EVH's tone on the first few albums. Are there any modern Boutique amps that specialize in nailing the "Brown Sound"? Which ones?

2. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

3. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

There are, Roccaforte is one i have only heard of.
    My Custom By Cougar Hawk has a LOT of that sound, maybe more of a 3 gainstage EL34 for amp. It really has that thight fast response and that can make tones junp out like on the early EVH records. Now the map is NOT made to clone that sound and it can to a great lower gain rock/blues sound as well. Very Express like in how you can run it from the volume knob on you're guitar.
    www.custombycougar.com

4. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

I played a humbucker equipped Strat into a Mojave Plexi going through a Mojave 4x12 and this came really close. It has this neat power dampening device on the back panel to lower power stage output so you can get that grind at low'ish volumes (they are at pains to point out it is different from a power attenuator and not a pre amp gain stage - go figure but it works).

5. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Yeah, Al Estrada is one bad dude... I'd say he's definitely nailing that sound with his Splawn

6. R.D.

R.D. Member

I've got a Dave Bray "modded" 1987x and with the right cabinet it's unbelieveably close !

Check out the sound clips on his website http://www.davidbrayamps.com/soundclips.htm

Marshall's might not be "boutique", but if that's what you're looking for, I think you'll be impressed ....

Stu Cats and tritone 6 like this.
  7. robinson slick

robinson slick Member

8. Free

Free Member

I'm not a huge Eddie fan, but I do know a bit about his gear and sound. You have to keep in mind that his tone was highly dependent on voltages and really pummeling the Marshall's input. Most Marshalls or just Marshall-style amps will get the tone you want - any JTM 45 or Plexi type for sure - THE IMPORTANT THING IS KNOWING HIS EFFECTS LINE-UP TO GET THAT COMPRESSED OVERDRIVE TONE OF HIS. You need to do some internet research. There is more detailed info on Eddie's early Marshall rig than about any single guitarist in history - you just have to put in the work and do the research. It's all out there with some Google searching...

9. nickreynolds

nickreynolds Member

I'm curious, why was that so dependent on voltages?

Also, what kind of pedal(s) did EVH hit the front end with anyway?

btw: Demeter TGA do the compressed sound really well!
    My job here is done, I'm spreading the word about Demeter amps all over the world and James Demeter doesn't know i'm doing it yet either hahaha

10. Free

Free Member

He ran a Variac type voltage regulator into his amps.

Summary of the classic EVH processing chain:
    -Guitar using bridge humbucker
    -MXR 6-band EQ (frown curve), and MXR Phase 90
    -100 watt Marshall plexi with Sylvania 6CA7's; powered via Variac to lower (brown-out) the mains voltage from 120 down to 90 VAC.
    -The head's speaker out impedance control is set at 8 ohms.
    -Dummy load resistor, adjusted to about 20 ohms
    -The load resistor is tapped at center
    -Box with a potentiometer in it and output jack (the output jack is a line-level low-impedance source)
    -The pot. is adjusted for whatever drive level.
    -desktop EQ
    -MXR flanger
    -Echoplex-EP3
    -100-200 watt power amp
    -final power amp by H&H
    -guitar spks: paralleled 4 cabinets down to 4 ohms to connect it to the final power amp.
    -EQ and compression at the mixer

Also check this out... http://www.amptone.com/eddievanhalenrig.htm

C-4 likes this.
  11. mangley

mangley Member

I don't know about specializing, but the Bogner ecstasy blue channel or a Shiva with a bit of boost through a 4x12 cab with greenbacks will nail the SOB.

12. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Jesus...and we worry about whether or not all our pedals have true bypass :NUTS

BADHAK likes this.
  13. Free

Free Member

Right... these pros didn't give a damn about true-bypass in those days. They were into boosting signals and just not loosing too much tone. It's really something though, isn't it?

14. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Why do all the VH clips that everyone thinks "nails' VH tone always have way too much gain in them? IMO, VH didn't have that much gain happening.

BADHAK likes this.
  15. Free

Free Member

His gain is very significant in the Classic Rock scale. But, really no matter how you look at it, EVH used A LOT of GAIN. So, I don't know what you're comparing his tone too, since it's all relative.

16. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

I'm not sure anybody can get that sound again. Hell, even Eddie never got that sound again after the first album. Some guy on here had a thread where he was modding his Marshall and kept tweaking and tweaking and he came closer than anybody I've ever heard. Can't remember who it was, but maybe someone else on here does and can find that link. It was damn impressive. But, like Eddies' amp back then....it's a "one-off" deal and can't just bought.

17. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I just kicked around the Shiva I got friday and she can sure hit the cranked marshall tones.

Johnny:dude

18. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

Personally, I think that the stuff Free is saying is BS. I have heard it all before in that exact same format but it is so easy to get that tone. Eddie did not use a lot of gain, not in the least. His tone wasn't overly compressed either. What you are hearing is a modded Marshall (no-variac) cranked into a greenback cabinet. There is no majic there, not to me anyway. Go crank any NMV Marshall and you can hear/feel the tone that he had. Adjust a few resistors/caps here and there, you have the brown sound.

The components in that particular head of his are anyone's guess. But that is how every Marshall was because of their relatively ****** quality control. There are so many factors that go into the early brown sound. I think tape saturation is another aspect that people forget about. High recording volumes and a strat body, maple neck and a relatively low output humbucker all helped.

Its not majic fellas. Its Eddie lying, he is a liar. I love him and his early tone/playing, but lets face it, he is a piece of **** human being.

If you want instant EVH Brown Sound...look no further than a Roccaforte.

BADHAK likes this.
  19. Free

Free Member

"he is a liar... a piece of Sh** human being."

Man, who are you to say that? And, all I'm doing is trying to help people with interest in EVH - he's not a favorite of mine at all. Look into anger management - really bad vibes here. I'm dropping out of this thread before Marshallnoise has anything more to say - see ya...

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  20. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Marshallnoise. Please show more courtesy with your posts. There are ways to disagree with something without the personal attacks.

Thanks
    Mike
    Mod Team