Which modern Boutique amps nail the early EVH "Brown Sound"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AJ Love, Oct 9, 2006.

1. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

Anger management...haha. Calling a spade a spade is not evidence of someone's anger existing. People who live their life in the limelight, such as Eddie Van Halen, are in full represenation of their actions. Anyone who kicks out Sammy Hagar because he wants to spend time with his family is a person with no compassion. Also, who would turn their life long bassist/psuedo friend into a salaried road musician because you felt that their contribution wasn't worthy of sharing in profits? There are a million other things out there that lead me to that conclusion that he has alienated every single humanbeing he has come in contact with. I think Yngwie has more friends than EVH.

2. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

I won't argure that. (esp. as a hagar fan!) but I will ask you clean up the posting style bit as based on your original post in the thread.
    Thanks

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I don't care about Eddie's personality, or any of that...

I'm just wondering if anyone ever designed an amp specifically to nail that early VH sound. i.e. plug in and *boom* there is EVH's "Brown Sound" even w/o effects, similar to how Two Rock nailed Robben Ford's sound with the Emerald Pro...

4. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

Roccaforte. You are gonna need some reverb no matter what.

Mods, duly noted.

5. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

I do think the Splawn gets it, but I'm sure Doug Roccoforte's can too. Great tones. Nothing will be 'exact' but both those can get the brown sound.

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I completely disagree. I feel like it was saturation. I hear a big difference between preamp gain and saturation. Everyone has a buzz box they claim mimmick's EVH's tone, and it doesn't sound even close to me.

There was a guy on here a while back with a tweaked Marshall and a variac that got closer than I've ever heard in any clip.

7. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

I think this is the guy you are referring to:http://web.comhem.se/~u51800958/Music mp3/On Fire.mp3

I don't know his story but his webpage is like a shrine to his Marshall. Almost like it is his ONLY posession on this earth.

http://www.ptpcircuits.com/ralle.html

http://web.comhem.se/~u51800958/index.htm

8. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I once owned an old Bassman head that was converted to a EVH style modded Marshall that just blew people away; and I was able to sell it for alot more than I had into it. As far as I know only two were ever made: my single channel/2 input and a friends 2 channel version (from an old bandmaster head). Dan Russell of Blitz amps in Saint Clair Shores Mich. built both of them back around '96, he was the circuit designer for the first Naylor amps, an amazing amp designer and repairman for sure. If you ever want that circuit built for you into an existing amp give him a call at: 1(586)772-4458

This guy has an excellent reputation and is quite the perfectionist!

9. Kevin11

Kevin11 Member

10. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I thought that Blankenship with the variac that there was a thread on did a darn good job.

11. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

No, the bad person part does relate to his excellent tone ... everyone knows he sold his soul to the devil.

:Devil

12. sethmeister

sethmeister Member

To my ears David Bray's modded marshalls get that sound pretty well.

13. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

IMO, there are about a million and a half amps (including all of the ones referenced in this thread that I've had the chance to play) that, with the right chain before and after (most importantly, the right style of chops), will get close enough to satisfy people who have a casual recognition of that tone. There are clips all over of guys who, whether they nail that tone or not, put you completely in that frame of mind just because of their amazing ability to nail the licks.

I've never heard an amp in person that TRULY nailed it, to my ears. There's a whole lot of subtle detail there that most people either don't hear or don't care enough about to follow. The closest of the amps I've owned is my 1959HW:

http://homepage.mac.com/mpackage/dreamer2.mp3

That's just straight out of the box, everything on ten...away you go. No special tweaks or preparation or anything, aside from a plate-ish reverb added after the fact. The guys who tweak and tweak and tweak are oftentimes chasing those minute details, I think. But I don't really buy into that approach. Most (not all) guys who are chasing that tone could get way closer by improving their chops in that style rather than replacing mustards with sozos or tweaking this and that cap value, these repro speakers vs. those, 8.2k bridge pickup vs. 8.9k. Ridiculous, if you ask me. Ed 'nailed' the tone, by definition, whether he was playing a parts strat (any of several), an Ibanez, a Gibson, etc. Beyond the chops, I think the next most important and least used 'trick' is volume.

Not to mention, the tone changes pretty drastically from VH to VH II to Women and Children First to Fair Warning.

Oh, and I think that amptone.com is the biggest load of guitar-related hoohaa on the net.

BADHAK likes this.
  14. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

I agree 100% on everything in your post. Most all of it is in the playing and volume. What cab were you running? They don't sound like greenbacks.

15. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Thanks man. Blackbacks in a Germino 4x12.

16. Luke

Luke Senior Member

The Blockhead amps do it. The secret is volume, as in a 100 watt amp wide open on 10. Everyone wants that tone in a 15 watt amp, but even those wide open are too loud for most playing situations.

17. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

I would think that Greenbacks would have a bit more squish but you are definatley on to something there!:dude

18. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

That's what I'm talking about. :dude

19. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

15 watts:

http://homepage.mac.com/mpackage/JapeApe.mp3

Goes with my theory that most any amp will get you close enough to convince a good number of people...but I agree that without 100 watts wide open, you can't possibly nail it.

20. Tone

Tone Member

What kind of boost pedal did you use?:RoCkIn