Which muff clone does the lower gain stuff well?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SixDemonBag, Sep 18, 2011.

1. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

I currently have a pig mine and run the gain really low, about 8-9 o'clock. I find it a bit too high gain in general. Also had a Pharaoh...again, too aggressive. What muff would suit me better? I don't want tight/aggressive gain. More lose/fuzzy/slightly crunchy overdrive gain :huh

I was looking at a SUF civil war muff. Am I on the right track?

2. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Earthquaker Hoof is exactly what you want. Sounds great at low gains (and I've had around ten muff clones in the past year) and is the most OD-like (depending how you set it) of any of 'em. I had a SUF Green Russian (when he still made them; now it's just the Civil War model) and it was awesome, but the Hoof is a better low-gainer.

3. stump

stump Member

My black Russian Muff does lower gain really well. You can still find them for less than $100.

4. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

Thanks for the quick replies! I did have the new-look hoof in mind. Love top mounted jacks!

5. Fuhgawz

Fuhgawz Member

Are you sure you even want a Muff if you want to play lower gain stuff? Seems a bit illogical to me. Perhaps a Fuzz Face type circuit would suit your needs better.

6. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

Got a fuzzface. Basically I want something to interchange with the Dirt transmitter. Don't get me wrong, love the sound of a good muff, just want something less aggressive. Less doom..more bloom!!!
    [​IMG]

...and no. It doesn't have to be a blue pedal!! It's just a co-incidence. But a SUF cwm would complement the colour scheme.

7. teleclem

teleclem Member

I have the Pig Mine as well (also the Pharaoh at one time), but for lower gain fuzz sounds I would use either the Lunar or even the Screw Driver.

8. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

Had a lunar module and still have my screwdriver! I just didn't bond with them. I guess I want something in-between a SD and pig mine in terms of gain.

...I know. I'm a hopeless case

9. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

The Cornish G-2 is the only muff-based pedal I know of that does low-gain stuff really well.

10. jay42

jay42 Member

There's so much gain in the BMP design, it's hard to understand what the OP really wants. Guess I'll have to look at the G2 to see how it's possible.

11. Z*Z*Z

Z*Z*Z Member

12. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Most fuzzes sound best with the fuzz high up (especially Fuzzfaces, which generally sound terrible without full on fuzz). The Big Muff circuit just isn't low gain. The best thing you can do is ask what muffs sound good with the gain low, set for low gain tones. And to that, my answer would be the Mojo Hand Colossus. I have only had it for a short time and it's billed as a higher gain fuzz (it's really not that high, though. A bit more gainy than the Pharaoh), but that's because that's what most people want in a muff and of course it sounds great full throttle. But it also sounds great with the fuzz knob very low, even at 9 o'clock. I think it's the first fuzz, other than the Pharoh, that has sounded great to me with the fuzz low. Makes a great low gain fuzz set that way. Instead of sounding like a weak fuzz, it almost sounds more like a fuzz with a mix knob that has a lot of the clean signal mixed back in. Very cool and so far one of the best fuzzes I've used.

13. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

Analogman Astrotone...

14. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I thought the Pig Mine did lower gain well.

15. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The pig mine sounds awesome at lower gains but thats still too much for the OP. I think you would just be better off with a different type of pedal. If the PM at nearly minimum gain is too much gain for you then no muff is really going to give you what you want. Try a tone bender of some sort maybe.

16. bshields

bshields Member

Wait, a pharaoh with the gain turned down is too much for you? Do you even need a fuzz? I think its a lovely low gain od/fuzz sound. Maybe get a timmy :p

17. Manx

Manx Member

Ditto that. All 3 knobs at 1.30 o'clock: warm, thick yet punchy! Maybe 60% OD, 40% fuzz.

18. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

If you really want lower gain Muff sounds, I would recommend the Wren and Cuff Box of War. It is not low gain, but it is a lower gain Muff that responds well to your volume control at the guitar.

19. King Rat

King Rat Member

BAT Pharaoh is the Degain'd muff circuit that handled the lower gain settings like a boss.

20. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Good call - my favorite Cornish pedal.