Which Multi-FX Unit Is Going To Be Best For Me ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CA$H FLOW, May 25, 2015.

1. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

I'm currently looking into purchasing a multi fx unit and honestly.... I'm having a hard time figuring out what to get. I was hoping you helpful and knowledgeable people could point me in the right direction. First off let me say that I'm not looking to purchase and Axe FX or anything crazy expensive like that. My main goal is just for the effects, not necessarily the amp or cab sims. Just OD, distortion, modulation, delay, reverb, etc. I plan to run them into a clean tube amp for my sound.
    I've been looking at the Boss GT-100, Line 6 M13, and the Line 6 HD500X. What I want first and foremost is sound quality, then durability, and reliability. I know that the Boss will be reliable, but I honestly wonder how it sounds. The last time I used that COSM crap it wasn't too great, and some of the reviews I've read about the GT-100 say that it still isn't that great.
    I'm leaning towards the M13 which is purely for effects(sounds like what I need), and the HD500X. My only concern is that the M13 can only use 4 effects at a time. How are the footswitches on the Line 6 stuff ?
    What do you guys think I should go for ?

2. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

If sound quality is the first choice... Just bite the bullet and start building a pedal board. You didn't say what style of music you play but there are tons of used pedals in the emporium. ;)

3. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

Oh I know a pedal board is the way to go, but right now I'm looking to get a multi-fx unit. After watching most of the reviews I'm leaning heavily towards the M13, but would still love to hear from all of you here.

4. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to agree somewhat. You will not find Overdrive & Distortions in a multi-effect format that deliver great tone (IMO). I use a Musicom EFX router to program the use of various high quality overdrives, distortions, phaser & octave (up front where they sound best) and then buy something programmable to do modulation and delay and run that through your effects loop. I use a simple Digitech GSP 1101 which has unbelievable delay models (Echoplex, Analog, Modulated, etc.) and very nice chorus and flanging with several models to choose from. Bonus = this thing has a fabulous rotating speaker model in it too and parametric EQ with selectable frequencies on highs, mids and lows, and a global graphic in case you get in a weird room that needs a little tweak to make ALL your programs sound right again. The system rocks and that unit is <$500.

5. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I recommend the OP do a few things:

Read through the manuals and effects lists of the various multis under consideration. Be sure what you're looking at does the sounds you want.

Read up on how easy it is to get from one patch to another, non-adjacent patch, and then back to the previous patch, especially if you are going to play live.

Listen to demos and shoot-outs between the gear your looking at and the gear which you think is good.

Don't run amp and cabinet sims through non-FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) amps and cabinets. That newbie mistake is behind a vast number of complaints about how a multieffect's amp sims don't sound good.

I do own a lot of multis and modelers, and use them for different situations. For example, my Zoom MS-50G only gets used on my Theremin because it's a pain to switch patches on without using your hands, so it's on a shelf on the mic stand supporting the instrument. My Boss ME50 gets used alongside an external switch for selecting banks and my Boss PS-3 as a battery-powered ambient machine. My Pod HD and Boss GT-10 get used for more in-depth situations, and they're loaded with all kinds of diverse patches.

(Incidentally, the Pod HD line has the same effects as the M series, and many of the HD units can run more effects simultaneously than the M13. The tradeoff is that the M13 is "bonehead simple" to program. I still kept my M13 and M9 and still use them for that reason.)

YouTube is your friend, as are all those manuals and reviews. Happy hunting!

6. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

One more thought: I remember when some lines of modelers came out, and people started posting blind shoot-outs to identify the "obviously modeled" sound when compared to the real thing. The inability to identify the modelers even 5 years ago was telling.

7. WillLane

WillLane Member

You're probably going to want to use amp sims if you're using distortion boxes as well. I don't think dirt from a multi-fx into the amp will work the same as a real dirt box would in front of an amp. And if you feed dirt into a delay or verb, that might not be so fun (but there are no rules, really). Within the multi effects unit, though, they could work somewhat like a digital dirt box going into a digital amp.

If you put the unit solely through the effects loop of the amp, you can use the power amp as just amplification for whatever you have going in the unit. Guitar > Amp input. Amp send > unit input, unit output > amp return. But you'll have to be really particular here.

You might want to direct some of the money from a unit like the HD500 and invest in dirt boxes, and use the rest of the money on a cheaper multi fx. I use standalone dirt boxes through the front of my amp, and a Zoom G3 through the fx loop. You might save some money too and be more satisfied. The dirt is much more satisfactory than the G3's dirt and sims, but the unit has really neat modulations and time based effects, especially for the price mhm.

8. bloomz

bloomz Member

I'm no expurt - but I found Line 6 was easier to use - for the very simple reason of being able to download patches directly into the box.

I had a horrible time with a Boss Me-70 and got virtually nowhere at finding sounds I liked.

9. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

The GT-100 for effects only is very, very nice. Plus it's rugged. I also like the M13 but it's not very rugged. I had mine upgraded by JHV3 and it as pretty nice after that. Also, the GT-100's overdrives direct into an amp are fine. No mic or cab sims needed.

10. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

OP - I get it and I started there too but....
    You might find it interesting to say my budget is "$300" or what ever... and see what we can come up with?
    Say Fulltone OCD, Catalinbread DLS and a TC Flashback?

Point being, you can build it up over time and if you buy a nice pedal in the emporium and take care of it - you can flip it without losing much, if it isn't the sound in your head. A multi-effect - except maybe an H9 or something like that - is pretty hard to resell.

Buy "once", cry once of a sort.... ;)

11. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

People will laugh at this but I still use a 1999 Boss GT-3 for many gigs. In a live situation, it sounds as good as anything else, I got it for free and it's built like a tank. I love Boss stuff. It works and it's inexpensive.

On a Budget likes this.
  12. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Line 6 M13 with the JHV3 mod.

13. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

I used a boss me 50 for years. All non dirts options were very cool. The dirt was always a source of frustration. So I added a tubescreamer which did the trick.

Flyin' Brian likes this.
  14. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Big M9 fan here. Very easy, intuitive to use and many very good sounds. The JHV3 mod improves the sound a bit but the main reason I sent it to him was one switch started to be a little glitchy after three year. He replaced the switches with high quality, no-click switches. Which spoiled me - now I can't stand the click switches and am trying to find someone to change out my EHX switches.

15. nnajar

nnajar Member

tc nova system.

16. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

Alright so I went with the Boss GT-100, tried it out and was pretty happy with it in person; Also got it for 15% off today which was cool.
    I can always add a stomp box in front of it for analog gain, but I found some decent enough tones with a bit of tweaking.
    Thanks for all the help, and advice everyone.

Flyin' Brian likes this.
  17. minty901

minty901 Member

Obvious answer to me is to get the really cheap Zoom G1on (which is an awesome pedal btw), play around with that for a while, and then you will have a good idea of what you like/want/need from a pedal/mfx.

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

What kind of amp do you plan to use with it? As someone else noted, this makes a huge difference. Modelers usually work best with an amp that doesn't color the sound much or direct in.

19. jm9239

jm9239 Member

Please, don't waste your time or money on a multi-fx unit. Instead, begin building a pedal board. You can build a decent one for not that much more than the multi units and it will sound so much better. I'm not sure why you want to go multi but a board with individual pedals tends to workout better in almost every case. If you want small, you can build a board that way. Inexpensive? You can do that too. Intimidated? This forum will help.

20. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

An excellent choice. Enjoy!