Which musician do you think has the greatest amount of signature gear?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Barnzy, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Got thinking about Ritchie Sambora and how many Sambora model guitars were offered from different manufacturers over the years. I find his case particularly impressive. Also thought about Chet Atkins with his Gretsch and Gibson models. Zakk Wylde popped in my head too along with Satch and Vai. But over all, who do you think has the greatest signature guitar gear presence? Would you think EVH? List some "honourable mentions" too if you think of any. Care to discuss?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Van Halen, if you count the various EVH and Wolfgang variations.

3. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Well, there was this musician called Les Paul. You may have heard of him...

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Clapton has a bit.
    I think EVH might win with guitars, amps, and effects. Zakk is likely a close second. Just guessing.

Joe B. Is climbing the ranks. I am surprised there aren't more EJ and Mayer effects.
    Clapton's lot is no slouch, but not much in the stompbox department.

5. taez555

taez555 Member

Kiss

No one even comes close in term's of whoring themselves out as Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and the members of Kiss. From Guitars (Gene sells every one of his signatures basses he plays live after each show) to Condoms, Coffins, etc... There's nothing they won't sell out for. :)

6. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

How did I overlook that? ...(slaps own head...) Clapton was a good one I never thought of too. Quality stuff. Overlooked Joe B. too. He has to have to most recent signature lines being marketed for sure...good one!

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I know a lot of people do, but I don't think of the Les Paul as a signature guitar. It got the name because he was an innovator of it, not because it's a copy of something he played.

Signature gear to me anyway, is a copy of standard gear that somebody played and perhaps modified a bit. The SRV signature Strat for example is loosely based on a Strat that he played and put together to his specs. He had no hand in the development of the Strat in general.

8. Peteyvee

Well, in actual numbers of units sold (mostly guitars and LP model Gibson amps), Les probably is way out front, but in terms of model diversity (most different items), I really have no idea, but I suspect Joe B will rise to the top some day. C'mon, he has 20 different coffee mugs and 15 different pairs of flipflops FCOL. I love Joe's music, but his merchandising department is getting a little out of hand...

9. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

George Lynch and Kirk Hammett have quite a few signature amps and guitars. Lynch edges him out though with pedals, pickups, amps, guitars, maybe even a hair gel?

10. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

Don't forget the signature anabolic steroids.

11. Bankston

Bankston Member

Lynch has a ridiculous amount of signature guitars, amps, pedals, strings, speakers, etc.

12. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Slash is no slouch either. Signature Marshalls, pedals, Guitar Hero game...

13. Fndrbndr

Fndrbndr Member

Joe B has signature everything

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

Joe Bonamassa seems to come out with new Gibson Signature guitars every year.

15. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

A tad off subject, but does anyone find it strange how many different John Petrucci models there are at Ernie Ball? Don't get my wrong, I love EB, but it sort of dominates everything they do..

16. micycle

micycle Member

[FONT=&quot]Yeah, as a former diehard 70s/early 80s fan (still listen to their old stuff) I check in on them every so often and it’s absolutely ridiculous. I think Gene, Paul and Tommy ALL sell their guitars after concerts for an ungodly amount of $, Paul even sells the smashed ones. And they don’t look like very decent guitars, either, which is only fitting. I just sit there and think “WHO BUYS THIS SH*T?!!”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I would nominate EVH – between the amps, stomps, guitars, accessories, many of which have seen a different brand name or three, he’s got to have the biggest all-time signature line. [/FONT]

17. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

18. GSHARP

GSHARP Member

Exactly how I feel...

19. XKnight

XKnight Member

Too bad he has no knowledge of it.

20. Peteyvee

Oh geez, KISS! Of course! And to answer your question about who buys that stuff, my BIL (who is also very good guitar player) has shelves of that KISS crap, new in the box, lining the walls of one room in their house. It's ridiculous...it looks like a 1977 version of 12 year old boy's bedroom...which, now that I think about it, makes perfect sense for him...