Which musician is touring at an old age, and doing a great job?

Sacrifice

Mike Reno at 67

They sound good, for the phone recording. Hard to tell if it's assisted. Sounds like maybe some tape going on there. Not sure. Also not complaining, still good. I'd go.

More alarming (?) is that crowd. Kinda sad. Kind of a sign of the times?

Doublea1269

Jeff Beck

Haven't seen him live yet myself, but I will the next time he comes to the US. Watching videos of his concerts, he's still got it going on
Jeff Beck is phenomenal live...I really do think the guitar and music in general is every bit a part of himself, just like blood and bones and everything else. He communicates through the guitar, makes it sing. And he always has a tremendous backing band, which I believe keeps him young, engaged and driven.

Doublea1269

Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are getting up there and still convincingly get it done. Especially Maiden.
Maiden is staggering. They have stamina and chops, and you have to be in damn good shape to do what they do. A lot of those songs they're playing are epic, nothing simple about them. Watch Bruce Dickinson command the stage and listen to his vocal range, and then remember he's over 60. All of them are like that, truly amazing.

The other thing about Maiden, and Rush was also this way before they retired...they keep coming up with great new music. Still putting out new albums, and they're outstanding; certainly not a band on its last legs.

Kevy_Metal

I'd say all of the original members of Killing Joke, who only a few days ago performed in France at the Hellfest Festival. I mean, they're all in their 60s, so they're not OLD old, but damn, they've still got that fire in their bellies.

Suave Eddie

I've seen James Taylor, Jackson Browne, and Boz Scaggs very recently. They're all closer to 80 than 70 and they are all still killing it. Their voices are still amazing.

Doublea1269

I know it’s an obvious answer here, but Mick and Keith never cease to amaze me with how much they seem to have left in the tank.
Agree completely...and don't underestimate what they do. Mick is still running that stage and is perpetual motion, while bringing it vocally. And Keith's playing is full of nuance and groove. You can see and hear the passion he has for his music.

TylerE

They sound good, for the phone recording. Hard to tell if it's assisted. Sounds like maybe some tape going on there. Not sure. Also not complaining, still good. I'd go.

More alarming (?) is that crowd. Kinda sad. Kind of a sign of the times?

He's suspiciously offmic for the vocals, and seems to push the mic away on the higher notes. Strongly suspect he's singing to tape, and the live mic is pretty down in the mix.

Now for my contribution: Ian Gillan still has great pipes, even at 76. The rest of the Purple guys have aged well too... Paice is 73

Random recent performance... vocals start at 5:36.

Last edited:

Doublea1269

The summer before the pandemic, I saw several shows, and the youngest of the bands was Barenaked Ladies/Hootie & The Blowfish, who were both great. But that summer I saw Billy Joel at Fenway Park, The Who also at Fenway, Iron Maiden and Carlos Santana. All incredible performances by people who really don't need to tour anymore...they just really love what they do, and it comes out in their performances.

Let me tell you, to hear Roger Daltrey in his 70s still have that voice blows my mind. A little less range than he once had, but good lord, can has he taken care of those pipes...and Townshend is still locked right in with his guitar.

I'll be seeing Aerosmith at Fenway in September...there's another band that still kills it live. Not much in the way of new music, but they remain a vibrant live act.

KISS still brings it, in a different way. Obvious epic show presentation, and while some of the vocals have been struggling, they still play the music itself flawlessly and retain their old spirit of putting on a show...and still wearing all of that gear, in their 70s.

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai are both in their 60s now, believe it or not, and haven't lost any chops or desire to keep creating fresh new music.

Before they retired, Rush was right up there too.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
A lot of musicians outside of Rock are doing fantastic - Jazz, Classical, Country, etc.... Rock it's really the vocalist that goes first - then the litany of diseases sets in on the instrumentalist - for some reason (Drugs? Drinking? Lifestyle) rock guys and gals tend to have
problems sooner than other forms of music.

That said - in rock arena - McCartney -Jagger (not Richards) - Springsteen - James Taylor - Ringo Starr - Buddy Guy -Dion DiMucci (Dion and the Belmonts - Clarence Carter - Chubby Checker - Bobby Rush - Frankie Valli - Petula Clark - The Moody Blues - Golden Earring - Neil Young - Graham Nash - The Hollies - Those people are still performing at a high level.

sgguitarzz

Silver Supporting Member
Roger McGuinn. I just saw him this past weekend. He played solo for 2 hours and gave a great show.

Wayne Alexander

Gold Supporting Member
The Who. I saw them just before the pandemic at the hollywood bowl, with a partial symphony orchestra. Masterful performances.

Aahzz

Neil Young still seems to be putting a real effort into it. Roger Waters seems better than he ever was.
Springsteen. The old guard seem to be holding up better than the cassette era rock bands….

I'm not sure I agree on Roger Waters. Saw him in 2018 - really good show, but he had another bass player on stage, and backup singers held down anything on the higher end of the singing. Still a great show, but others did the heavy lifting.

Fred McMurray

Surprised no one has mentioned Dead & Co yet. Bob Weir is 74, Mickey Hart is 78 and Billy Kreutzmann is 76.

Bobby routinely posts videos of his workout regimen. He’s clearly serious about maintaining his ability to tour for as long as possible. On the other hand, Billy has had to bow out of some shows both last year and on the current tour due to physical ailments.
I'll give those guys props. The caveat is that YMMV depending on the show - some of the grooves have been slowed down and dragging just a bit too much. But that would've been true of any original Dead tour back in the day.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom