Which neck humbucker sounds like a single coil?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EXP, Aug 23, 2005.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i have a goldtop LP on the way that has SD 59'n/Custom combo, if the 59' doesnt work out(ive heard alot say its very bassy and boomy;muddy) i was thinking about WCRs. which neck hum bucker would get me closest to a neck single coil?

2. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Well, a humbucker is still a humbucker, but the WCR pickups are known for being clear and very articulate which can add a single coil like feel when playing. I have DarkBursts in a McCarty with coil taps and the WCR pickups sound excellent taped. In full humbucker mode, they are definitely not muddy. I can't speak for the other WCR models, but the DarkBursts are some fine, fine pickups!

3. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i was thinking about either the Darkbursts or Crossroads.

4. xroads

xroads Member

Agree what has been said about the Darkbursts - I have them in a TCM Taurus, and esp. the neck pickup has a clear sound that is stunning in clean operation - touch sensitive, only slight amount of humbucker compression, good high-end. Never tried the other WCR PUs, I see no need to do so...

Xroads

5. monstermike

monstermike Member

I wouldn't try getting a singlecoil tone out of a PAF style humbucker.

I'd be looking at the Fralin offerings that are designed to do what you're looking for - his "Split Singles" are based on the pickups he made for PRS in the 90's, which actually did a very cool Strat-like thing in a humbucking format. He also makes one designed to sound like a P-90. If you want something a little more PAF, his Unbuckers are very cool, and better than most at being split.

The other option that comes to mind is a TV Jones TVTron, which won't get you Strat sounds, but the shimmering, glassy Gretsch character has some of the same characteristics.

M

6. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

A WCR Crossroads, turned down to around 5 (presuming you have a 'volume kit' installed on the volume pot) sounds pretty thin and SC-like.

I've gone to mini-humbuckers for this. I have two Lollars in a Strat, and I'm very happy with the result. (I lose the 'in between' positions, but I've got another Strat if I want those.)

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

+1 on both the fralin split singles and the unbuckers :dude

8. erksin

erksin Member

I'd say the Crossroads, but if you want more authentic single coil tones - go with a Harmonic Design Z-90. You'll still have all the smoky fullness, just more articulation...

9. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

DiMarzio Bluesbuckers and I think they come close to that requirement than anything I've ever heard. The slug coil is used for hum cancellation only, so they really are a single coil just with none of the noise. They're extremely clear and responsive to picking dynamics. We still use a few other pickups for specific applications, but that's now our standard isuue PUP.

10. jordanL

jordanL Member

Dimarzio's very poorly named(IMHO) "Humbucker from Hell" is aimed at the same type of tone-single coil sound from a full size hummer.

11. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

Duncan stagmag,Rio Grande tallboy humbucker and the Dimarzio humbucker from hell.Also the Anderson H01. these are the best bets if you want a single coil tone from a bucker.

12. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell and ( as Jim said ) Dimarzio Bluesbucker are both excellent at single coil tones. I have yet to hear the Dimarzio Dric Johnson pickups, but others have stated it's very single coilish.

I have a set of Jon Moore's humbuckers ( unpotted, unbalanced coils, A-3 mags, 7.75 neck, 8.3 bridge ) that have the clarity and detail of fine single coils.

13. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

We tried a set of EJs. They were quite bright and low output, but I thought they lacked the character of the Bluesbuckers. On the other hand, some people may prefer that neutrality.

14. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

its between WCR Crossroads, Schaller Golden 50's, and Dimarzio Humbucker from hell.

15. johan

johan Member

I would recommend the Seth Lovers. Won't sound like a single coil but they are low output and very open and clear sounding compared to most HB's. I've heard many single-coil players love them. I'm one of them :)

16. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

While the Eric Johnson custom humbuckers sound very clear, they do not sound like a single coil at all! I agree they sound very clear, but saying they sound like a single coil is a huge strech.I have them in a dark guitar (mahogany/quilted maple, 1 piece rosewood neck) and the guitar sounds really great with them in.

I'm much MUCH more of a single coil guy, but these humbuckers are really quality pickup that I'd recommend to anyone in need to brighten up a dark sounding guitar.

17. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

If you are looking for the SRV neck pickup tone, you could try the Anderson M1. If you dig around on the Anderson forum (www.andersonforum.com), there are some samples there of what those sound like. I have 'em in a mahogany shortscale guitar, and they sound really really good for bluesy dirty stuff. I imagine they'll sound great in a strat-like guitar.

Gary