Which new guitar will appreciate most over next 25 years?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dark_rainbow, Jan 12, 2011.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I think we are missing a opportunity to make sure the deserving great smaller builders get recognized
    I see a lot if who is going to care attitudes here
    Prs was a small builder

2. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

I think many of the comments have already nailed it as far as I am concerned. It would have to be a small builder guitar closely associated with popular band with lasting appeal. At the moment, I am having a hard time of thinking of such an object. Languedoc' is a possibility. Maybe something from the builder who made Hetfield's custom explorer (was it Lawrence?). I think the trouble is that most popular guitarists now have endorsement deals and for that they generally want to work with a larger scale manufacturer.

3. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

The question is which new guitar will appreciate most. One has to appreciate more than the rest.

With guitars, there seems to be maximum appreciation when supply is extremely low (ideally limited to 1) and there is huge demand created by an association with a very popular and well-respected player. That's why someone was willing to pay almost $4 million for David Gilmour's black strat. The closer you can get to that with a new production guitar, the more appreciation you can expect. I think Languedoc is a decent bet.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  4. trap

trap Supporting Member

They have? I saw an 89’ Sig for sale here for 3,800 or so.

5. philiprst

The very early ones are collectible, the early "production" ones far less so probably because the current PRS production models are better guitars in many respects.

6. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Well, what's appreciated in value in the eight years since the thread was started?

rawkguitarist likes this.
  7. trap

trap Supporting Member

What’s very early? I’m curious how the newer production models are better?

8. mikeratan00

mikeratan00 Member

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Crap - I entered this thread literally to post this specific guitar and you beat me by one post! :p

If you're talking most overall $$ value appreciation, no, but highest percentage appreciation, look at what these are already going for today.

mikeratan00 likes this.
  10. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I'm still waiting for my Brian Moore guitars to appreciate...
    (and no, I'm not holding my breath)

lifeson1 likes this.
  11. gaseous

gaseous Member

12. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

If I were investing in new guitars, (I wouldn’t), it would be something like the Custom Shop Jimmy Page set.

I think those paying inflated prices for Danocasters better really love those guitars, or be prepared to take large losses. They have a a following here, but aren’t known much out in the guitar playing world, and you can easily think of 20 builders who can do basically the same thing.

Little Larry likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Member

You folks are all investing in top end builders and guitars.
    These are the guitar stories that became legendary value over time:

Late 50s Les Pauls: new sales were so poor that Gibson discontinued and replaced them with the SG. The Led Zeppelin boys and a few others found them for cheap in pawn shops and carried them to fame. LZ recorded a lot with a Tele...

Late 60s Stratocasters were fading out of the guitar scene until that Jimi Hendrix dude found them for cheap in the pawn shops. He played gigs with many Strats but recorded with a Tele...

Early 90s the offset guitars were cheap in pawn shops, nobody wanted them, except for this guy Cobain on the West Coast scrounged one out and modded it a bit, others picked them up too. There is now a cult of offset buyers pushing prices higher. Stapleton is playing an offset in a country band that I suspect he bought when they were cheap. I bet Cobain recorded with a Tele ...

The running theme is whatever is cheap and plentiful in pawn shops right now are getting bought by the kids that will make famous bands of the future. So hang onto those BC Rich Warlocks!

14. philiprst

By very early mean before before around 1985 when production ramped up and changes started. I suppose that better is subjective but having owned PRS guitars from back in 1988 through the present day what I see is better build precision and finishes (but both were stellar to start with), hardware improvements (such as the low mass tuners), replacement of the rotary pickup switch on the Customs, and most importantly the pickups. Just to balance that out I would say that some people prefer the older smaller neck heel, the material used for the "old" birds, the older quality brazilian rosewood, and its probably fair to say that the "average" 10 top is not quite a nicely figured as the older 10 tops (although there is huge variation in every era).

trap likes this.
  15. McGTR

McGTR Member

I dont think anything will change in that short timespan. Still top of the line Fender, Gretsch and Gibson, imho.

16. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Hahaha, that is a good one. Yeah, if it’s not an MC-1, I think we are out of luck. Guess I unloaded my C90-P at the right now. That Clint Black endorsement didn’t do too much for them, I guess

17. trap

trap Supporting Member

I have an 89’. Brazilian was standard then, as were abalone inlays, one piece Mann Made bridge, single action truss rod, Paul was probably directly involved in the making of it in some capacity.
    They may be better in some ways now but less personal.

18. Shane S

Shane S Member

This tread was started in 2011.... but my money would be a Sakashta Nonpaul if you could even find one. It has everything a collectible is instrument needs:

Famous musician played it: Robben Ford.

Limited supply: Taku (RIP) was sadly murdered in 2010. So there will never be anymore made.

freedom's door likes this.
  19. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Have Thorn guitars gone up in value since Ron started working for Fender?

20. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

If I was a betting man, I would have said Thorn. I still think that as his star rises with Fender that may be the case, especially in regards to the Artisan/Artisan Master series. There are other small builders that I think deserve it, but as the market gets more and more saturated with take after take on the classic models, more and more builders will stand on their shoulders and notoriety will take over.

I do think older PRS (80's) deserve a nod due to Paul's influence and direct involvement, along with laying the groundwork for what the boutique market is today. Beyond that, I really have no idea.

martyncrew likes this.