Which new guitar will appreciate most over next 25 years?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dark_rainbow, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

I think everyone is making a pretty strong assumption, ie that the number of guitar players will continue to increase or at least remain the same.

Appreciation is a function of demand, and I contend that the number of new guitar players who eventually become sufficiently interested in wanting to buy more than one valuable guitar is shrinking.

nagarjuna and jpastras like this.
  2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Unique identity? Super strats are far from unique. The formula has been on the scene well over 3 decades. No less a guitar... but not unique. Ronin, Koll, Forsage, and Teuffel are some examples of unique identities.

Regarding any guitars appreciating in value? I'm not confident in any major trends in appreciation. Maintaining value? Sure some will. But I don't believe there will ever be any sort 1950/60's vintage value treatment of any contemporary guitars.

monty likes this.
  3. Presc

Presc Member

A guitar needs to be iconic (in addition to scarce) to become valuable, and a famous player needs to become associated with that guitar for it to become iconic.

The problem is that guitars aren’t in the limelight anymore. So I have a hard time seeing any modern guitar seriously appreciating in value.

monty likes this.
  4. monty

monty Member

Agree with your first point, not so much the second. Still lots of popular music with guitars being made plus we've been in worst situations before (Disco, new wave ect). Always come back!

5. jpastras

jpastras Supporting Member

Fewer and fewer people will learn to play.

The generation in High School now will be the first generation to be less affluent than their parents. Subsequent generations will be less affluent than that. Entertainment is highly diversified, and music only makes up a tiny slice of the pie. That music is increasingly more electronic. There's also a glut of high quality instruments.

Stagnating economy, the influence of a communist nation as the most powerful economy, diminishing resources, under-employment, crushing student debt, the inability of people to differentiate themselves in a massive, globally-connected workforce, the necessity of embracing essentialism as more and more people move to multi-family dwellings...

In 15-20 years, most people on Earth will find the notion of expensive, appreciating "collectibles" to be revolting. I'd say within 5 years almost all guitars will stop appreciating, with many that were appreciating starting to significantly lose value.