Which Octavia?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EXP, Jan 10, 2006.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i know this topic has been beaten to death, but ive been GASing for a Octavia and had a few in mind. KR Doubler, J Everman Octave X, etc. which octavia goes really good with a fuzz? i just ordered a PPF and want a octavia to go with it. so im selling my Karl and thinking
    about an octavia.and fyi, i have used the search function. my question is which one is not harsh and gets along with fuzzes?

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

I've been using the RM Octavia for years but I'm GAS'n for a Chicago Iron!! I've been running my RM with one Fuzz or another for years...

3. drolling

drolling Member

I've got a few of the older ones, and they all have their own gnarly fuzz built right in- the octave up effect in these cases is produced by the extreme clipping/distortion of the fuzz.

But it is nice to run an octavefuzz into another straight fuzz- can really smooth things out, but can also get real noisy..

4. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

the chi-iron sounds harsh to me, i like the KR Doubler clips, VERY Jimi!:dude

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

Really?!?! I thought it sounded more like an Octavia than most I've come across. Hmmm.... Time to do some more homework I guess... :D

6. fatback

fatback Member

In person, the Chi-Iron is anything but harsh. It can get smooth and flutey if you crank it up or it can get edgier and more dynamic at lower settings. Much like a fuzz pedal an Octave effect tends to sound best used with an amp that is already breaking up. Set low and interacting with your amps gain is where this pedal truly shows it's magic. I've yet to try any other Octave that can match the Chi-Iron's tone and responsiness.

7. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i leaning towards the KR Doubler at $159 and sounds more Hendrixy.

8. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

maybe try the nick nitro, not a clone but you might prefer the tone more and they are quite cheap

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I like the KR Doubler's 1st sound sample and one somebody put up here a lot... plus, the price is right. That's the one I'm going for.

10. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

I've been searching for a good octavian for a while now and have owned the fulltone octafuzz and chicago iron. I've tried the way huge octavia, roger mayer, and a bunch of other boutique builders... I guess the problem with the "best" one... is the fact that even the original tycho octavia" or roger mayer octavian that most of the artist used when it became famous were all different.

I'm actually going back to the fulltone since i like more of the ring modulated tones w/ lower gain. I've found that i like the loose farty sound that it gives. The Chicago Iron sounds amazing, but at times it is too smooth and controlled. Kind of ironic, but i like the spitty ugliness of the fulltone.

If anybody has an older hammond box octafuzz, i'll be glad to take it from them.

Peace,

Eugene

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

that 1st clip sold me too!

i should clarify about the chi-iron i meant played clean it sounds harsh, the clean clip didnt thrill me.

12. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

The Nick Nitro is an alright pedal, and very reasonably priced. But neither the octave or the fuzz is spot on if you are trying to get Hendrix-style tones. It'll get you close, but not quite there.

Plus, for me there's a certain sound I was getting with the octave in my Captain Coconut 2 that I wasn't getting from the NN. It's sort of an envelope filter sound, which I need when my band plays this tune. The KR Doubler does it.

13. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

14. soupbone

soupbone Member

+1 on the MJM Roctavios.

it's true what Melodic Dreamer said about playing it in front/behind a dirt box, either way it really sounds great. Sounds great above the 10th fret as well not just below, as some others crap out on you on the lower register.

You can also get a nice clear octave sound or Ring modulation with just your pick attack. Great Pedal!!!

15. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

A-men to that!

I love this freaking pedal. I have only had it for a month, but it's more than just a new toy type of thing. This is exactly what I was looking for in an octavia type pedal.

16. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

michael what fuzz were you using to testify? :)

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I've used a CC2, Voodoo Lab Proctavia and a Nick Nitro. The Nick was pretty much unusable. The Proctavia and CC2 were both very good and both very similar sounding. Can't go too far wrong with the Proctavia.

18. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

That would be the Fuzz Foot in the Captain Coconut 2 driving the crap outta my Ram's Head Big Muff.... For the first few seconds I also have the octave in the CC2 on.

Honestly, I don't know where that solo came from, I never played it like that before or since. I'm glad we got it on tape... :eek:

19. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

OK... KR Doubler or an original 1972 RM Octavia?

20. drolling

drolling Member

Although the Proctavia's purported to be a clone of the legendary Tychobraye Octave fuzz, I thought it sounded very harsh & fizzy. I had an early one without an LED and did use it for a number of years before going to a couple of PE pedals that sounded warmer & smoother to me. Then again, couple guys I play with told me the Proctavia was more authentic sounding- just watch that boost control, you can seriously blow out your speakers & eardrums with that thing...