Which OD are based on a TS circuit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blueprint, Feb 20, 2005.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

Hi everybody,

I order to clarify my mind, I need your help to know which overdrives are based on a TS circuit, and the ones which are not.

This will help me (and probably other forumites) to focus on some pedals, and not always the same thing with just different enclosures... :jo

;)

2. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

blueprint:

LOT's of different opinions on this one, as well as LOT's of different pedals that claim to do one or the other.

TS types:

Obvioulsy any of the "reissue" Tubescreamers (Maxon, etc.)
    Digitech Bad Monkey
    Fulltone Fulldrive II
    Addrock Old Yeller
    Banzai Cold Fusion (more or less?)
    Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
    PedalWorX Texas Two Step
    Jacques TubeBlower
    Menatone Red Snapper

:confused:

3. TTrahan

TTrahan Member

I wouldn't put the RC Boost in that list, just my opinion.

Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive (one of the positions)
    GGG Standard Overdrive (same as the Landgraff)
    Nobels ODS1 ?
    Big Tone Music Brewery Classic OD+

4. Headshot

Headshot Senior Member

The Blues Driver is not a TS circuit.

Head

5. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Some of those pedals shouldn't be in that grouping. The Menatone Red Snapper might use the JRC chip but I don't think the circuit is the same.

6. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I agree with ALL the previous posts. Sometimes it's hard to even figure out what the "TS" thing is anymore with all the variations. Just trying to throw a list out there and see where it goes.

:)

Chuck

7. b_rad

b_rad Member

Shannon Overdrive
    Junkyard Screamer
    Cusack Screamer

8. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

Reverend Drivetrain and Drivetrain II.

9. el34power

el34power Member

Are you trying to find one or avoid them?
    If you are looking for something like it. On a budget. I would recomend the Bad Monkey.
    But i would concider the Analogman SD-1/808 silver, clip switch or
    The keeley sd-1/808, burr brown, clip switch.

If you want to avoid. I only have a Keeley BD-2.

10. blueprint

blueprint Member

Thanks everybody for the replies!

Well, about finding one or avoid them: I already have some of them, much more than I expected actually ( both Analogman TS mods, G2D Cream tone, VL Sparkle Drive, Jacques tubeblower...). I'm going to sell a part of them to buy someting different, even if those pedals have their own characters.
    I'd like to focus on pedals with a different feeling, that's why I posted this thread.
    :cool:

11. el34power

el34power Member

OH NO! You are looking for an excuse to buy more pedals:D

Salut!

12. blueprint

blueprint Member

C'est a peut près ça, en effet....:D

13. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

PedalworX Texas Two Step, Tour Pro Toggle

Brett

14. Swarty

Swarty Member

The shorter list may be which ODs are not of the TS ilk.

15. gururyan

gururyan Member

What is the Tube Screamer circuit anyway? How can one tell if another is based on or a clone of the TS?

16. PaulC

PaulC Member

Great! I was waiting for somebody to ask just what makes a tube screamer! Now I can get all long winded...

To me there are 4 things that make a screamer what it is. change these things a little and you'll have something that sounds like a modded screamer. Change these things alot and you can have something that sounds totally different even though it has the same parts count, and on paper looks like the same circuit.

IMHO it's all about the pre/post eq'ing, the type of clipper circuit used, and the type of user tone control. The screamer has a low end roll off that shapes the signal before it gets clipped. This is set at about 722hz, and is somewhat effected by the gain control - the roll off isn't quite as steep at low gain settings as it is when the gain is increased. This has a big effect on how the distortion sounds. clip alot of low freqs and you can fuzz out and get really muddy tones. This is a touchy area because what's enough for your bridge pickup humbucker to sound nice a full might woof out your neck pickup. This is a big tweak spot with builders.
    Then you have the type of clipper circuit. The sceamer uses a non-inverting opamp gain stage with diodes within a feedback loop to limit the gain. There's several ways to set up an opamp/diode clipper distortion circuit. This is just one way used, and has it's own type of sound. The type of opamp and the type of diodes used will have a huge effect on the tone/compression & sustain/wave symmetry. This is the second big tweak spot that can make a huge change in the pedal.
    Next is a high freq roll off. When you clip a signal you can get some very bright/harsh distortion overtones along with a good bit of noise. Add to that you stripped out the low end already and you can get some ice pick distortion tones. So the screamer has a hi-freq roll off after the distotion circuit at about the same as the low end - 722hz. This is the 3rd area people tweak alot. You can make the pedal darker or brighter.

So the low end roll off keeps it tight, and the hi end roll off keeps it smooth, but what happens is you've now got a pedal with a big mid bump at 722hz. This is a big part of the screamer sound - it's a mid booster. When you change the pre/post eq'ing you will change this mid effect along with the feel of the pedal. Now it doesn't sound so much like a screamer...When you see things like flat mid mods and such they're messing with this area.

Last is the tone control. The screamer actually has an active treble control that's pretty much the same type of control you'd find in a graphic EQ. This let's you boost or cut the hi end of the pedal.

That's pretty much it. There's other things in there like buffer's and such, but it's these 4 areas that to me really make the screamer what it is. It's all about the pre/post voicing, clipping and tone control. You have dead on clones, slightly tweaked clones, and things that have been changed so much they sound nothing like it even though if you just changed the part values you'd have the same thing again.

I have no problems with guys building screamer type circuits. It's a great circuit that can be made to sound a million different ways. The only thing that get's me is when you have guys that change values around, and make you think they're some type of electronic genius. They're not. They just have good ears (or not half of the time). Take credit for tuning these things - that's 90% of it right there anyway. Just don't tell me you've created a new pedal!!

Later, PaulC

17. gururyan

gururyan Member

Wow, thanks for the in-depth answer...only I think I am even more confused now! :p

Oh well, I use a Banzai Cold Fusion and I love it...I guess that's all that matters right? ;)

18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Actually the Cold Fusion is a Klon Klone (and there are a few of these as well). Of course the Klon itself is based in part on the tweaked TS circuit elements that PaulC outlined. Resistance is futile. It's Tube Screamers all the way down....

19. theelectic

theelectic Guest

The AC and RC Booster are nothing like a Tubescreamer circuit.

20. utterhack

utterhack Member

Oh, look at THIS interesting old thread.