Which OD/Dist pedal for tight, focused, piano-like lows?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JimEff, Jan 17, 2015.

1. JimEff

JimEff Member

I've been through quite a few OD/Dist pedals but I'm no pedal expert. A lot of pedals give me woofy fuzzy unfocused bass notes which I hate. What pedal would give me tight, focused, piano-like low notes? The big box Plexitone gets me there, sort of, but it's real finicky about which amp I use because it's so scooped. I tried putting a TS in-line with it but didn't like the results. I'm not necessarily trying to emulate a Marshall. Thanks.

2. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

What amp are you using? The problem might be your amp or speakers and no pedal will help that.

3. JimEff

JimEff Member

I rotate between a few, usually a Tone King Imperial or a Quilter Aviator, both 1x12 combos. I don't think it's the amp. The TK can get what I'm after but you have to crank it to volumes that don't work for my situation. Pretty much the same with the Aviator. It gets fat but not until a certain volume. Maybe my goal is not attainable for volumes less than really-loud?

4. el34junior

el34junior Supporting Member

Try an older Barber Direct Drive.. Not a huge mid hump.. Easy to dial in & a great low gain pedal too. Not just medium/high gain.
    You can find one for about $70.

5. JimEff

JimEff Member

Is that the same as the Barber Compact Direct Drive or different?

6. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

Or the Gain Changer. It seems to be the response offered to a lot of "which OD for..." threads. I have a few pedals with a pre-drive bass control and some with post-drive. The GC is tighter than them all, in terms of providing a thumpy but focused attack on low strings. Any of his pedals with the bass trim pot will give you good tight attack with ability to crank up the fullness without flub.

7. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

One of the Amptweaker pedals that come with the tight control.
    That's what it does.

8. JimEff

JimEff Member

Thnx. As I understand it, the GC is the "American" version of the DD. Is the GC better for tight lows than the DD?

9. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

I think they're in the same ballpark. I've had the compact DD and the bigbox with all the trim pots. I had more fun doing low string palm mute 5ths with the GC because it can get a bit more low end and then top end sizzle, where the DD pedals have more mids generally speaking.

10. JimEff

JimEff Member

Thnx. Looks interesting. I didn't know about these.

11. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Trying to get my head around "piano-like low notes" in real world terms, ie: in relation to guitar tone - how do you mean? The closest I've heard a guitar sound to a piano is something like a semi-hollow baritone on the neck position with Filtertrons.

What is a "piano-like low"? Pianos are not exactly "tight" sounding instruments - they carry a tonne of low frequency resonance in the lower octave.

12. JimEff

JimEff Member

Tight. Focused. Maybe my description was off. Tough to describe sound with words, sometimes.

13. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

You can make an Okko Diablo do that, no problem.

14. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I'm an OD freak (probably spent $5,000 in ODs since I joined TGP to get that sound). It's only ever happened for me if the amp/guitar could already do that.

For me, it'd be a Honey Bee (BJF) but again, the amp/guitar would already want to make that tone.

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Tone Tubby 40/40 speaker, you would be surprised how much of this is in the speaker cone. Most celestion need not apply except for Gold 12", CRex will work. EV12L or clone.

You never did answer as to what speakers your running? Those tones are fine in most amps/pedals, it's the speaker that makes or breaks it. If your ignoring speaker/cab your ignoring 70% of the equation for good tone.

16. JimEff

JimEff Member

Lead 80, I believe, in the Quilter Aviator. Tone King uses their own speaker, not sure what it's equivalent to.

17. el34junior

el34junior Supporting Member

Not the Compact. The older ones have the larger enclosure.
    There's one on Ebay right now for $74 free shipping.

18. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

The only pedal I've found that has the same type of ballsy amplike tone the Plexitone has, which I used for a long time and LOVED but eventually moved on from because I wanted more EQ control to match certain amps, is the Bogner Red. It's plenty tight and might work great for you as it does for me. Give it a test drive if you can.

19. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

I'll play. Ethos can sound like almost anything you want and that clean channel is focused, clear and articulate.

20. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

As a rockabilly player I really need a tight, clear low end. I have tried many, many overdrives! This is the best I have found so far - tight, clear bass strings but fat squawky trebles. Incredibly touch responsive. I usually play a Gretsch and it loves Filter'trons. But I also use a Strat from time to time and a P90 335 (Luther Dickinson) and yes, I can indeed get the "piano-like" low E string. Lovely. :) Not cheap but absolutely brilliant.

http://www.klangfarg.com/products.html