Which OD for me?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markom89, Jun 29, 2006.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Right now Ive got a few on order: Eternity, Tim, Timmy, KOT, Klon, zendrive 2,but, I have to wait for all of those to be built as you all know. Im a pretty impatient guy when it comes to stuff like this and dont want to wait, so I decided to get an already made high end OD so that it makes the wait a little easier to handle. Theres two options, only two: Landgraff OD, or the Menatone Kar Krash. Im looking for the more versatile OD, one that can give me a nice fat & smooth sound, and also want it to be able to give me high gain. Which one is for me? Ive heard VERY good things about both, now you help me decide.

2. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

since you apparently have the money, why not buy them both, play them, listen critically, & decide what's best for you? you do realize that most of us here have to do this exact thing when we're looking for gear (boutique or not). if it means "buying blind", well, that's the chance you take.

i don't mean this as an insult to you, i know others have dumped on you because of the hc thing or whatever, i actually like some of the threads you started. but, c'mon...help you decide what amp, what od, whatever...

i'll tell ya what, buy all the things you're looking for, then send it all to me. i'll form an opinion, then i'll send it to my friend slowburn. he'll form an opinion. then we'll send it to another forumite, and so on and so on. this way, you'll have over 10000 informed opinions on which to base your own. oh, you gotta pay all the shipping tho, & any 'time spent' & 'consultation' fees we may charge, ok?

3. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

(snicker... snort...) heehee...

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Definitely the Landgraff....

unless your someone that likes the Kar Krash...

then, DEFINITELY the Kar Krash!:D

That IS a serious answer by the way. No one else knows what you're looking for or will like. I have had greatly differing opinions with many pedals people rave about. Turns out, they are a hard rock player and I'm a rootsy bluesy player. It all depends on what you want. You're going to have to buy, try, and resell the ones you don't like.

5. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

[​IMG]

I couldn't pass up an opportunity like this.

I also tried the TIM and Timmy, and almost everything else in the OD tribe, but the Lang. and KAr Krash ,and they sound like fun too. I wonder about the ZEN Drive, but I am hearing more a LOVE/HATE relationship from those who have played it. And that may be an unfair statement on my part, so I apologize to those who feel differently, but some OD need the right set of ears listening to them for acceptance, so try them all!!!

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Markom, No one can tell you anything you haven't already heard. You have to try them. It is that simple. It seems you already are going to; please share your thoughts on them after you have.

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I think theres a wait on the Landgraff too...maybe a tube screamer instead? :)

8. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Two words: Bad Monkey

No? Why not? Not expensive enough for you? Fine then - i'll sell you mine for $650 - i'll even swap out the LED for a cool blue one. There ya go - boutique and modded!

Deal?

Brian

9. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Buy A BOSS SD-1!!

People say life is what you make it. So is Tone. so go make tones which we will all want to have. Talk us throught it. Not all the best tones come from highly expensive tools.

Aj

10. MikeLivesley

MikeLivesley Member

Boss DS-1. Taiwanese.

RARE BOUTIQUE TONES.

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

yea...the problem about trying them both is...I dont have anywhere to do that. I live in Toronto, no one anywhere NEAR Toronto knows what those two ODs are, let alone stock them. At my local "boutique" store the only "boutique" pedals they carry are ZVex, and at a VERY overpriced cost. I bought my super duper 2 in 1 from there and it ended up costing me $445 after tax!!!!...But, they sell memory lanes there for about the same price, youd expect them to be cheaper since theyre made here...but, no. So back on topic, trying them both out is quite impossible. Unless I order both and return the one I dont like as much, which will result in me wanting to keep both which I dont want to do!!!

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

The Landy won't do high gain.

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

the kar krash will?...I also would like to use whichever one I choose to boost pedals like my ff or big muff.

14. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

see bobgoblin's post above - that's how the grownups do it.

Except you don't return either one. You post the one you need less right now in the Emporium. Then eventually you regret selling it, buy another one, and repeat the process.

There's no shortcut to wisdom.

15. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

ooooh man, you must have the ultimate OD rig !!!! although I have only the E, but i'm gassin for the Cot 50... and KOT!!!

16. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

ps : LCJC800, thanks to comment the KOT and Cot50 and their purposes in your rig !!!

17. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Markom, you're still not getting the process we have all been through many times. We don't mean go down to your local "boutique dealer" and try them both out. I live in the bay area, CA and there is nowhere I can do that, even if I drive a couple of hours. That is the nature of boutique. There aren't many places that stock ANY of the stuff you read about here.
    We are saying you need to BUY them both (or whatever you're interested in) to try them, or trust what people who own them have said in the GP archives and make an educated purchase.
    Also, in the boutique world, the option to return a pedal if your don't like it is pretty rare. Paul C is one of the very few that offer that option. That is why there is so much gear in the emporium, people are TRYING things out.
    Not like going down to GC and playing through all the stuff you want all afternoon and buying one thing. GAS is an illness and it costs, damnit! The only cure is more overdrives!!!:crazy

18. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Why don't you quit worrying so much about gear and enjoy your high school years. Hang out with friends, try to meet girls, play organized sports. You have only been playing guitar for a year or so and you are already so bored with playing that you are constatnly looking for new gear to excite you. I never gave a damn about pedals until I started to gig over a hundred times a year. Pedals are tools that working guitarist can use to get different sounds. However I will play any gig with just my guitar into an amp (channel switching or not). If you are only 16 who is giving you so much money to spend on guitar equipment. I sound the same no matter which guitar or amp or pedal I play through, like it or not you will too. No great guitar player obsessed about their gear choices until they had already developed their style. It takes years to develope your style. If you own a good guitar you are already way ahead of most of us when we were your age. Take your guitar and play it, practice practice practice and always leave time each day to just play and create. Write songs and learn to sing in the real world only 1 out of 10 people notice or care how good you are on guitar but they all notice how well you sing. If you really want to be good on guitar then don't waste your precious youth on the internet, every time you have a desire to get on the gear page instead practice for an hour. After a while your first thought will be to play instead of what gear should I get.

19. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I've been playing for ~10 years and I think I'm going in the other direction :crazy

20. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I keep the the CoT first to utilize it's crunch :horse and Plexi tones, and to control the volume jump when I need to. Feeding it :BEER into the E is very cool:YinYang , to be honest I've had the KoT for about a week and have been un-able/ willing to :rolleyes: try it with anything else YET:drool ! the Klon was fresh out of the box from the bay:BOUNCE ,as I traded mine for the KoT and couldn't get to my other one at the rehearsal place. As I stated in another KoT thread, I will, if able, post as many comparative clips of these pedals asap:RoCkIn , if I can come up with a way of recording them digitally:confused: , so I Hope that is possible. Thanks for asking, sorry to clog up the thread :MMM with these mutterings. I'm feeling smiley's today