Which OD pedal for blues?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by adamsapple, Mar 31, 2008.

1. adamsapple

adamsapple Member

which overdrive/boost pedal works best for blues soloing thru a strat/blackface fender combination? Im thinking SRV tones. I have a TS9 but am looking for more drive/gain at lower volume settings. Im considering the following: Fulldrive, OCD, Fat boost, BB preamp, RC boost, Zen drive etc. What sayeth you?

2. jpervin

jpervin Member

G2D Cream-Tone is good for this.
    [​IMG]

3. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Barber Direct Drive

4. giggedy

giggedy Member

KOT, you can get more gain if you stack the sides. I'm not sure I would put the zen up there.

5. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

TS-808 modd'd by either Analogman or Keeley.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Zendrive, for me hands down. Blues Devil is great too, but if I only could have one, it'd be Zendrive.

IT shines when played with a band, cuts through so nice (I won't go on, I've written this too much so just search on it, I bet you find me saying the same thing but in more detail).

But your thread got me to thinking...many folks as that question "what OD for blues?" and I realize, even if I were asking it I would be going on feeling, etc....but it is better to define WHAT are good qualities in an OD to play blues than which specific pedal. Your great OD for blues, might not be mine.

Because "blues" can be anything from BB or Freddie King (Zen) to Claptons (I guess it is a Soldano I am hearin) WAY saturated sound in like Sinners Prayer (for that I used a Distortion!, Jekyll & Hyde often nailed it on dist side) with Clapton. Could be Buddy Guy, etc, etc.

For me, if there is to only be one OD pedal, for blues, I want medium gain, and breakup, but good chord definition, need excellent "cut", need excellent "touch" so if I dig in it distorts more, if I play lightly almost sounds clean. Need it to be well controllable with guitar volume, but with little change in real volume (i.e. the guitar vol changes base gain...gain sound when I hit the strings lightly). The Zendrive does all that.

Also, things I definitely DON'T want, one would be the TS-9 saturation (I know...I can turn down gain on it and get less of it..), I don't want artificial sustain, I want to be able to generate sustain with my fingers, but have the pedal reflect it. I want notes to stop when I stop, and opposite of the preceding paragraph I don't want mushy chords.

For me the Zen is all that. BUT when I have two OD's, I often choose exactly what I said I didn't want, as the second one, and set it medium gainy...that is for over the top (like Sinners Prayer) and especiall for fingerstyle on electric, swamp blues kind of things.

7. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I agree with the post above, but for me the BB Preamp does it all and in front of a blackface amp can cover a lot of Blues tones and cleans up better then any pedal I've seen.