Which OD pedal to use with mesa rectoverb 25

Stratsmyboy

Im after that strat blues break up sound (Scofield/Mayer/Earl/Ford/Fletcher). Its the first time I've used a mesa amp and having sold my previous pedals to fund the amp I'm starting a fresh in terms of pedals with my priority heing an overdrive and a tremolo. I used a providence sov 2 previously but I thought I better get some opinions before I started looking in case the amp makes a difference.

icedlatte

I like both the King of Tone and a tubescreamer through mine. You might have luck with the new Bondi Del Mar which is supposed to cop tones close to both of them in one pedal.

amoodymule

Silver Supporting Member
Timmy? I liked what mine did to the clean and push channels, but my switch went bad and I need to get it fixed. The Wampler Euphoria is covering and I am not digging the rasp I can't seem to dial out, so my Bad Monkey seems to dominate right now, lol

Mesa pedals, maybe...

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa's are so versatile. It is possible you can dial in what you want with amp gain and still have other channels to switch. That is what I understand as the double edged advantage of the typical Mesa platform- super versatility in exchange for an extended time fine tuning.

guitarman3001

I'm using a Mooer Hustle Drive with my RoV25. I have more dirt pedals lying around than I can count and the HD is by far the best one to use with it. I only use it on the clean channel.

If you like the ROV25's pushed mode with the gain cranked but you still want a clean sound, if you set the amp's gain in pushed mode to just before it starts to break up, with the Hustle Drive set to LP, if you set the gain and tone the right way you can get it to sound almost exactly like the amp with the gain cranked in pushed mode.

And if you use the amp in clean mode and the Hustle Drive in HP, you get a great very open sounding overdrive. Works great for strat blues type sounds and also low to medium gain sounds from Allman Brothers stuff to Summer of 69 type of sounds.

IMO, it's the perfect overdrive pedal for the Rectoverb 25.

Stratburst70

I agree that your Mesa should be able to give you what you need from the red channel - that's both Mesa's blessing and curse, they're so flexible that many players either get option anxiety or don't know how to use the thing.

I'm presuming that you want to keep the red channel for high gain (that's what I do with my TA30). Not sure about Scofield or the others, but for Ronnie Earl and John Mayer, a TS-flavoured OD would be a good choice.

I really like the Way Huge Electronics' Green Rhino. It can do the Tube Screamer thing, plus so much more.

guitarman3001

Mesa's are so versatile. It is possible you can dial in what you want with amp gain and still have other channels to switch. That is what I understand as the double edged advantage of the typical Mesa platform- super versatility in exchange for an extended time fine tuning.
Yep, but like I mentioned above, the Mesa is capable of so many great sounds but you have to pick and choose because you can't get them all at the same time. That's where the Hustle Drive is so useful.

You want to get the Mesa's sound when it's in pushed mode with the gain cranked but you also need a clean sound. Unfortunately, both of those sounds are found on the same channel. The solution for me was to set the pushed mode for a clean sound and use the Hustle Drive to give me a tone that sounds to my ears about 99% the same as the amp's pushed mode with the gain cranked. So now I have my clean sound and the amp's distorted pushed mode sound. Problem solved.

Trending Topics