Which OD to spank my Marshall with?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rex Nomad, May 24, 2006.

1. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

I"ve got a 1981 100 Watt Marshall JMP Master Volume amp that needs a little extra kick. I really love the way it sounds but I want more growl and sustain out of it. I don't want to add more buzzy/fizzy distortion. I want more growl and sustain. I would also like to retain as much of it's natural tone, punch and depth as possible. My rig is simple. I play a Gibson Les Paul into the Marshall into two Marshall 4x12 cabs. I play classic/modern hard rock ala Velvet Revolver, STP, Buck Cherry etc. I would appreciate any advice on which OD pedal would suit my needs. Thanks. By the way, I have a Tube Screamer, a Boss SD-1, and all the obvious Guitar Center pedals. Some come close (Maxon 808) but in general they add too much buzzy/fizz or squash the signal too much and I loose all the massive punch the amp has without. What do you think?

2. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I just got a lovepedal eternity and I would have to say that pedal would put you over the top! No fizz just smooth sustaining overdrive and lots of boost ,Unity gain on the one I got was about 11:00 .You might have to wait abit though.

3. el34power

el34power Member

Super Chili Picoso. It adds balls, it has a special frequency range that goes really well with my JCM800.

4. Rex Nomad

Rex Nomad Member

Where did you find yours? I have no idea how to get one.

5. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

I think stacking two pedals together can really help in this situation. Try something like a good boost that doesn't alter your tone much, like the Xotic RC Boost, then add an OD in front of that. You get lots of possibilities and variety and actually many different OD out there would be fine, stacked this way. My favorite ODs now to use with the RC are the Landgraff, the Keeley TS-808, Zendrive, or the Timmy.

6. rastaman

rastaman Member

Call Keeley and tell him to send you a Time Machine Boost to try for 3-4 days. I went w/ the standard and on my 2061X and 18Watt it's unfreakingbelievable!!! :AOK

Nothing fizzy fuzzy at all about the TMB, it's PHAT! It just takes the amp where you want it, there's no other way to describe it.

I would like to try the Lynch version just to see what a little extra would/could do.

7. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

I had the exact amp when I was a teenager and didn't know how to set it and so I was never happy with it. I put it in the paper to sell it.....a kid came over and put a Rat in front of it...............AWESOME!!!! I saw go for a RAT. Simple, classic and probably just what you're looking for.

8. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Rex, I was on the waiting list and then earlier this month I emailed Sean about when the eternity might be available and he emailed me back and said he just put some up on his website and I ordered one up and about in a week and a halve it showed up at my door!

9. Tprince

Tprince Member

The Klon won't color your tone, it'll just add a nice boost with some growl to it. Damn expensive though.

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Xotic RC Booster for a little push, BB Preamp for a little more push.

11. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

There are a lot to try.
    Since you want growl with no compression and maximum depth I would recommend a Hotcake (at lower settings), a COT Blue, Boostier, Cold Fusion....

+1 on the RC, Klon, and Time Machine Boost.....

I don't mean to sound like an old fart but protect your hearing....thats an awesome rig you have there but it will fry your ears if you are in too small a space for it. Those full stacks sound better if they have room to breathe anyway.

Bob:dude

12. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

If you don't like buzz or fizz then try a transistor based pedal. If you like simple get a good Rangemaster clone. It is almost like a slightly cocked wah but with big hairy balls. Velvet Revolver, Judas Priest and early Black Sabbath it can do.

13. bullet69

bullet69 Member

lovepedal.com sean will hook you up

14. samtheman

samtheman Member

- Timmy
    - Menatone Red Snapper (3 knob)

- secret weapon: old grey DOD FetPreamp

...works great with my ยด71 JMP

/sam

15. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

My COT50 makes my JCM900 sing! Probably get an Eternity down the road too & should have my Timmy very soon. (I hope).

16. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Crowther Audio Hotcake or Hotcake "Bluesberry"...

17. jgyn

jgyn Member

With my Marshall I'm juggling:
    Jacques Mercer Box 2 (Stratocaster)
    Crowther Hot Cake (Les Paul or SG)
    ZVex Super Duper 2 in 1
    Prescription Electronics Overdriver (Colorsound clone)
    Frantone Brooklyn

18. VanStone

VanStone Member

- Well if you don't mind a bit of compression, I think the MI Audio Blues Pro does a much better job goosing than a DS-1 or TS-9.

- For an uncompressed goose, I'd go with a Skreddy Screwdriver or a Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso.

V