Which ODs would you ditch, and why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fuzz_factor, Mar 18, 2008.

1. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I've bought way too many dirt pedals in the past year! For what I've spent on dirt pedals, I could have bought either a pretty nice tube amp or a short-scale, 000 Martin. Now there's tone!

I play all kinds of music around the house: anything from blues and jazz to new wave, post punk, alt-rock, etc. I figure if I ever got around to playing in a band again, it would probably be some type of rock band. The tones I seek range from Abbey Road era Beatles, Stones, Who on through Pearl Jam and Wilco; basically a couple of nice rock rhythm and lead tones.

I mostly play my '62 RI Strat and P90 SG. I also have a Les Paul Standard.

Out of the following list, what would you ditch, what would you keep and why? For bonus points, what are your favorite pickup/pedal pairings and settings.

1. Fulltone Fulldrive II MOSFET
    2. Barber LTD (Black, v1)
    3. Barber Direct Drive
    4. Blackstone MOSFET OD
    5. Fulltone OCD (v4)
    6. Fulltone '69
    7. Fuzz Factory
    8. Keeley Mod Rat
    9. Barber Tone Press

The only other pedals on my board are a Crybaby, a Phase 90 and an MXR analog delay, but I rarely use these. Amp-wise, I'm using a Champ 600 into a 12". I'll probably end up picking up something in the neighborhood of a DRRI in the future.

Ultimately, I'd like to pair down to two or three ODs, a higher gain box and a fuzz.

Thanks and have fun!
    - jeff -

2. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I'll take the '69 off your hands.:D

3. erksin

erksin Member

I'd keep the '69 (have one and love it for dirty boosting/gritty OD/fuzz duties), sell the rest and get myself a Timmy and that DRRI.

4. fuzz_factor

Interesting! Two immediate votes for keeping the '69. I almost didn't include it in the list because it is the one pedal that I'm definitely keeping.

Selling the whole lot is very tempting. Sometimes I feel like my deciding-which-overdrive-to-use to playing ratio is like 5:1.

Oh, and I'm on the list for the Timmy. If it's as good as everyone says, I figure it can easily take the place of the LTD, Blackstone and maybe OCD, for a lot less money.

Thanks.

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I'd keep the LTD for low and med gain. I'd want a Timmy instead though.
    I'd also keep the Keeley rat b/c I have one and love it (fuzzy and high gain/gilmourish in my apps)
    I would either keep the direct drive or the ocd for 'cleaner' high gain (cleaner than the rat, that is)
    I'd dump the rest, because it would be all I'd need. . . except a clean boost (you're keeping the fuzz too, i hope).

I'm going for bonus points, because I just discovered my love for this sound. . .

lead pickup on my strat. . . tone rolled down to 5 or 6.
    rat - distortion on 11oclock, filter at 3oclock, level at 1oclock
    timmy - gain at noon, level at 10pm, bass FULLY counter-clockwise, treble at around 1 or 2pm

. . . effortless sustain with tight evh chords. . . that's what it do. . .

6. erksin

erksin Member

The '69 is just a fantastic pedal - really well thought out, adapts to a variety of uses with a variety of guitars and amps. I'm really not a fan of fuzzes for the most part, but the '69 is just perfect IMO. The same could be said of the Timmy too - I've been through a TON of OD pedals in the past 3-4 years and the Timmy is still king of my board.

If pressed, I could easily just have a '69 and a Timmy for dirt and be quite satisfied.

[​IMG]

7. fuzz_factor

Cool, thanks I'll try that out when my Timmy arrives. Might be a while though!

And your choices above pretty much line up with what I'm thinking. The toughest choice is between the OCD and the DD. Of course, I might just keep both and tweak one to sound better with SCs and the other for humbuckers.

8. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Well, allow me to play devil's advocate here. Do you use all of them? I have a loose rule that if I haven't used something in a year, it's expendable. Mainly because a couple times a year I like to change up my OD situation and keeping about 8 or 9 OD's around keeps me from having seller's remorse/rebuying stuff.
    My vote is to keep everything, save up, get more!

9. fuzz_factor

HurricaneJesus playing the devil's advocate! You compel me to follow your advice!

Seriously though, since I've got back into playing guitar about two years ago, my pedal spending has exceeded my amp spending three to one. Seems like that ratio is backwards, but those damn pedals are so GAS inducing, and it's easier and less expensive (in the short term) to keep trying new ODs than to find a really good amp.

Put another way, I have a Champ 600 and a Blues Junior (that I don't like at all) and ton of pedals. I'm thinking a better balance would be Champ 600 and/or a really nice amp that I'm happy with, and just a couple of good, versatile pedals ('69, Rat, Timmy or LTD, OCD and/or DD maybe...).

Thanks!
    - jeff -

10. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Just save a little money, sell both amps, and get yourself something nice in the 10-20 watt range.

11. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

The Blackstone and the OCD would be the first to go for me because I didn't bond with either but that's just personal opinion.

What I think it'd be best for you to do is group the pedals together according to some common trait such as:

clear/transparent overdrive
    fuzz
    warm/fat OD

Firstly decide if you need all categories. Secondly do your shoot out between the similar pedals with your rig. Thirdly check that they play nicely together.

I'm with erksin though in suggesting that you need a Timmy!

12. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

Hmm, I might need to get reaquainted with my '69. I need to clean it up a bit, the pot was a bit scratchy last time I used it...it's pretty old from march of '96, I believe. Might be a good pair with the Tim and Timmy I'll be receiving?

I would take the advice of Erskin and Realfi:BEER.

13. erksin

erksin Member

I like to set mine as a low gain drive/dirty booster...

Vol: cranked
    Bias: fully CCW
    Contour: cranked
    Fuzz: 2:00

Into the HBOD or Timmy it sounds really sweet - like a cranked up tweed amp.

14. fuzz_factor

That's a really nice sound; instant Neil Young without the need for a Whizzer or whatever it's called! It also works well through my LTD and OCD (with the gain at around 9:00-10:00).

Here's another wrinkle to my dirt pedal situation: I just got an email saying that my Zendrive is ready. Hmmmm. Not really sure I even want it at this point...

Does a guy who likes hard rock, fuzz pedals, gritty rhythm guitar and a nice Martin even need a Zendrive? I have nothing against Robben Ford; I think he has a nice tone, but that's not really my thing.

15. erksin

erksin Member

I dunno - I had a Mosferatu which is similar in the overall voicing (but much higher gain), it was a cool pedal but I wound up flipping it. It has a very 'padded' playing response - soft attack that I got tired of fairly quickly.

You know - you may want to look at something like a Skreddy Screw Driver. It does killer rock distortion tones, gritty rhythm stuff, and cops a decent Fuzz Face simulation. It is easily one of the most versatile ODs I've ever owned/tried and definitely in the Top 5 best I've played (out of about 60 or so dirt pedals).

You're in PDX - I'm in PDX. We should hook up and you could try my Timmy and Screw Driver out for yourself sometime.

16. fuzz_factor

Cool. I'll have to check out a Screw Driver. The Skreddy pedals seem to be really well like around here.

And getting together sometime to check out some gear sounds good.
    - jeff -