Which of these EL84 based amps would you prefer? (merged)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbratch, Nov 7, 2005.

Which of these EL84 based amps would you prefer?

1. Valvetech Hayseed 30

2. Dr. Z Maz Jr.

3. Top Hat Club Royale

4. Dr. Z Carman Ghia

5. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mbratch

mbratch Member

Criteria:

$1300 or less
    New or used
    30 watts or less
    1x12 configuration

Choices:

Valvetech Hayseed 30
    Dr. Z Maz Jr
    Dr. Z Carman Ghia
    Top Hat Club Royal
    Other?

2. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

I'd vote my my John Nau single channel combo, but I haven't tried all of the others up there.

3. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Already have it. Early 70`s Traynor Guitarmate. Upgrade the speaker to a Heritage G12H30, and tube to taste, and you`ve got one of the best sleeper amps available today.

CT.

4. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

The Top Hat Club Royale is a killer amp......but I would say you have to try the Sommatone Roaring 20.....it is really versatile and able to get fender-vox-and marshall tones ....

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

You have a Nau with EL84s? I've seen one in a store once but handn't the chance to try one. Do you have any further comments on it compared to other EL84 amps?

6. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

I'm still loving my Zinky Blue Velvet.

7. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Find a used 2x12 tube rectified Club Roayel, it you can. Absolutely smokin' amp - and built like a brick s#!t#ouse.......

8. Gary

Gary Member

I'm running a Reinhardt head thru a 2 x 12 cab, 36 watts, only had it a couple weeks, my bandmates are still in a state of shock at how good this one sounds, lotsa good el 84 amps out there, you won't have a problem finding something that kicks YOUR ass. If it does that, you don't have to worry about anybody else's!! Good luck, Gary

9. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Why is this in the emporium (he asked, knowing that the answer is likely to be noninformative)?

Maybe the amps page would be more appropriate and leave the emporium for sales (he asked, knowing the suggestion is likely to be too obvious to be informative)?

BUT! Haul thyself over to the proper section and I 'spect a Spirited Discourse on things EL84oid will erupt.

Om and out.

[​IMG]

10. John II

John II Member

Big +1 for the Sommatone Roaring 20.

~John II

11. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I chose the top hat club royale, but only because it gets so many good recomendations. I had a maz jr with reverb for a few years and recently sold it even though I loved that amp. If I was to buy another 2xel84 amp I would have to go for the top hat even though I owned an old club deluxe that totally did nothing for me. The Ghia would be my second choice at this point, but only because I've already had the Maz Jr.

12. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Mesa Boogie Blue Angel :BEER

Oh yeah, for under $1300, you also get the option of 6V6s or combine to 2 tube types :dude

13. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    Top Hat Club Royale -- especially if you can get a newer one with the tube rectifier and the deeper cab. Slap a Weber Blue Dog or G1265 in there and you'll never look back.

Aside: John Nau builds some incredible amps. I've got a couple that I sorta spec'd out and he designed and built for me. Great guy to work with too.

14. mbratch

mbratch Member

Sorry. I thought since it was about buying an amp, it was an appropriate place. I consider my wrist slapped. ;)

15. mbratch

mbratch Member

I posted this poll on the emporium, and someone suggested I post it here, so I apologize for the redundant post.

CRITERIA:

* $1300 or less
    * New or used
    * 30 watts or less
    * 1x12 configuration

16. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Fitting your criteria, I don't think you could go wrong with a Z...depending on what you're looking for toneally. I love the Z's!

17. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Hola, Mark! That's more like it.

High thee ho over to Trinity Amps and talk to Stephen. He rolls a couple mean 2xEL84 amps. I have his version of an amp similar to a Matchless Lightning. It is very well made, sounds great, and is sized perfectly for the rooms we typically play. Its basically a top boost channel of an AC30, mated to a 2XEL84 high-biased back end with decent filtering. The layout is great.

Highly recommended!

Thanks for coming by, Rico

18. Neil

Neil Member

I do not know much about el84 amps but I have one of these and it kicks the proverbial.

And this thread is in the wrong place.

And we are OK with that.

19. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The new tube recto'd TopHat Club Royale is an outstanding amp, esp if you like Voxy/Marshally tones.

The other amps in your list are real nice, too.

20. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

It is a single clean channel amp, but it is the thickest, richest clean sound i've ever owned. If you dime the tone knob, you can get fender bright, but once you back it off just a little, there is a world of different warmer clean tones coming through. Only 15 watts, sounds amazing cranked. I've got a Weber blue dog in it.

I'm a bit obsessed with pedal drive units, so i go through quite a few. I can tell in about 10 seconds whether im going to keep a pedal or not just by turning it on and comparing it to thickness of the clean on this amp. If the clean sounds better(90% of the time), the pedal is going.