Which of these would get me closer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by opuspocus83, Mar 17, 2008.

1. opuspocus83

opuspocus83 Member

A plexi 1987 50W lead/bass circuit with the channels cascaded (this would be switchable), a PPIMV, and a pentode/triode switch (half power mod) installed,
    or a JCM 800 2204 circuit with the same treatment?
    I'm looking for an early Van Halen type of tone/feel.

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Plexi 1987 with all the extra stuff turned off. (1987 is lead, 1986 is bass, so I'm not sure exactly what a 1987 lead/bass is, but I am assuming it is a lead).

Turn the volumes on ten and shake the neighbors roof off. That is the best way to get that tone/feel. Turning down, using any master volume, or a triode switch (which isn't really a triode nor is it half powered) all will only suck tone. None of it will help get early Van Halen tone.

3. opuspocus83

opuspocus83 Member

Thanks for your input.
    The cascade mod would just be to add gain so that it would be there if I wanted to use it, and the pentode/triode switch would help me lower the volume when I can't crank it.
    Have you seen this PPIMV http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?p=172422&highlight=larry+ppimv#172422 Some of those guys nail Eddie's old tone.
    How does the pentode/triode switch effect the tone and what is it actually doing?

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The cascaded gain stage and PPIMV will help if you can't crank the amp with no master. Forget about the pentode/triode switch.

Also consider cranking the amp into a load box and reamplifiying as Eddie is rumored to have done. You get the tone at any volume this way.

5. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Blue Strat has sage advice - quest forth!

6. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I had a load box custom made to do exactly that if you are interested..

7. opuspocus83

opuspocus83 Member

I'm going to go with the 1987 circuit.
    Appreciate everyone's insight, and the offer on the load box, but I'll probably buy a Weber if I get one.
    Are there different ways of cascading? or is it a fairly generic type of mod? If there are variations, which one sounds better?
    I ask because Nik at ceriatone is going to cascade the channels before he ships it out.

8. opuspocus83

opuspocus83 Member

This is what I'm going for, but to be able to switch it into or out of the 1987 circuit (The cascade mod that is)
    Check out this thread: http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=11926&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
    Rockstah quote: "so if you take a stock 12 series and cascade the first two stages u end up with a 2203. adding a 10k on the second stage instead of the 330u/820 that was there when it was a two channel amp.
    now there is gain thats always missing from a 1959 circuit..."