1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which of these would record piano best?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Tubes and Strings, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

Which of the following would you use (or combination of them) to record a baby grand piano:

Audio-Technica AMT410 Vocal Microphone
    Audio-Technica Pro41 Vocal Microphone
    Audio-Technica Pro61 Vocal Microphone
    Nady RSM-5 Studio Ribbon Microphone
    MXL 991 Instrument Microphone
    MXL 990 Vocal Microphone

I can borrow any/all of these and I have another couple of MXL (large and small condenser) as well. I wasn't real happy with the sound I got from mine last time I experimented... this after several hours trying differetn locations and different pianos.

2. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

I think the best large diaphragm mic would be the choice. The further away the piano is mic'd the higher you want the mic(s) raised.

3. elambo

elambo Member

Borrow them all. Try them all.

4. Tubes and Strings

Anyone here who can speak from experience with these? I'm hoping to hear some opinions based on good / bad experiences... Clips are even better.

Anyone?

5. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I would use a vocal condenser type of microphone. Maybe a Rode NT-1. If you don't have access to that kind of mic, any decent vocal condenser should do the trick.

If it's a grand piano I would place the mic about 6 to 8 feet away from the piano and about 8 feet in the air. I would also suggest using a room mic (another condenser) as a room mic, just to see what it captures.

If you're using a keyboard, you could either do a direct line in (not something I'd suggest unless you have to) or if you use a keyboard amp, I would mic the keyboard amp pretty much like you mic a guitar amp.

just my 2 cents.

6. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I would NOT use a ribbon mic on a piano. Not unless you want your piano to have a slight distortion sound to it.

7. rah3

rah3 Gold Supporting Member

Too many questions to ask before making recommendations -

Is the piano in a studio? (Acoustically correct space)
    Is this a solo piano piece?
    What genre of music?
    Is this piano track going to be used on a track with other instruments?
    Are you tracking with other instruments in the same room?
    Do you want a good stereo image of the piano?
    Does the piece use the entire range of the piano or is it a R&R track?

Can you narrow down the variables?

-RAH3

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I would first try whichever has the flattest response curve or widest frequency range, hopefully it will be one and the same mic.

9. nor

nor Member

Two powered condensers (no battery power).

One on the open end, about halfway up the opening, flush with the lid (when the piano top is opened/closed it should just clear the mic). Point it at the midpoint of the soundboard.

Place the other on the back (away from the pianist) - position depends on the piano. Have the pianist play while you move your head around to find the sweet spot - put mic #2 there.

These are just starting points, YMMV. Don't care for any of those choices for piano...

10. Tubes and Strings

answers below...