Which of you guys (primarily) use a tele for jazz? What model?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by liquidswords, Feb 9, 2012.

1. liquidswords

liquidswords Member

I tried out an American Deluxe model a while ago and was very pleasantly surprised, particularly at the snap with which it responded and its even, "glassy" response, fantastic sound. Even the bridge PU was fun to play and not at all bright like I expected. Still though, I wonder if perhaps there are superior alternatives to it.

Let's hear it! :)

some bonus questions:
    -How do you use the bridge PU, if at all?
    - What setup are you playing it through

2. toddinjax@yahoo

toddinjax@yahoo Senior Member

3. liquidswords

liquidswords Member

Haha thanks man, I'm a member there as well, and yeah, quite a bit of info. :) I should specify that I'm not really looking for it to be an archtop replacement though, just a balanced, clear sound (think Jeff Buckley's sound on "Hallelujah").

4. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Pretty much any Tele will do the trick. Depending on whom I'm doing a bad attempt at faking I use the neck pickup and roll off the tone on the guitar around halfway (Kenny Burrell), or nearly all the way off (Jim Hall). I tend to use the bridge pickup wide open for rock, blues and country and seldom use it for jazz. If I do then just a little tone roll-off to smooth out the top end does the trick.
    I like my amp set so there's just a hair of gain and reverb in the signal for jazzy stuff. Of my three Telecasters the Baja has the brightest tone and is my favourite for all styles.

Teles are great for jazz-true you won't get the woody, breathy response of an archtop but they are capable of some great tones-with the right amp.

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I used to be a big Burrell fan. I mostly use a strat on the neck pickup with flats.

As for teles, I'm not a tele guy, but a local guy uses one with a Princeton for jazz gigs, including a weekly gig at a restaurant that features bigger live jazz three or four days a week. Standard 70 something tele and a 65-ish Princeton. Knowing him, both are stock.

I keep trying to be a tele guy... or at least more of a tele guy. I built up a project in December with a nice Warmoth neck and a Lollar Charlie Christian. Love the unique sound but the tele still feels pretty foreign compared to my strats.

6. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Willy James Shay sounds pretty good on his Thinline.

7. vanguard

vanguard Member

nocaster wiring with a .001 paper/wax cap from the 50's in the forward "dark" position. rolls the "crang" and shimmer off the neck pup and boosts the low-mids a bit. instant vintage jazz sound.

8. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

I like the Ted Greene's style of jazz playing. I'm not up to his chops, but I sure do appreciate his inflection and tone.

9. Elvis Nixon

Elvis Nixon Member

10. L_Totti

L_Totti Member

I don't play teles but I do use the bridge pickup when I (try to...) play jazz. Turn down the volume , pick close to the bridge and you'll have a nice treble-y kinda western swing tone.
    And just roll down the tone for the neck pup for that classic jazz tone.But I kinda prefer the Les Paul kinda jazz tone , fat clean tone but not that bassy - think How High the Moon.
    I think it's more about the amp than the guitar.

11. msr13

msr13 Supporting Member

It's not my primary guitar for jazz, but I love my K-Line. It's 1 11/16 and has a Lollar Imperial at the neck. Sounds great with round wounds or with flats. An all around great guitar, especially for jazz.

[​IMG]

12. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

If you're into Jazz on a Tele you should check out anything by Ed Bickert the great Canadian. Kind of like Jim Hall on a Tele.