Which one and why? USA-built PCB amp poll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BigSB, May 2, 2016.

Even money - which one would you choose?

1. Fender Pro Junior

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ampeg J-12T

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. BigSB

BigSB Member

Used Fender Pro Junior locally*
    or
    Used Ampeg J-12T?

If I were to go with the PJ, I have a nice tremolo pedal, so it's not like I'd lose that feature.

I used to own the Jet. Liked it a lot with, of all things, a stock Epi LP Special II.

*I also have a line on a tweed Pro Jr with an upgraded Weber AlNiCo speaker. That one is a bit more money plus shipping.

I know Ampeg amps are famous for not really doing the amp OD thing unless you're talking about wall-shaking volume. I don't like absolutely saturated OD, but I don't like pristine cleans either.

Let's say it's even money, and you're buying an amp for small to medium-sized rooms, miking, of course. Blues and R&B-type stuff, Stax sort of thing. Hard to pin down, but cleaner than not, if that makes sense.

Opinions?

2. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

The one that sounded better to me :dunno

jpage and MrLahey like this.
  3. BigSB

BigSB Member

Just wondering, because TGP knows these things, if there are any empirical differences (build quality, history of trouble/issues, etc) between the two.

4. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I did a live radio thing and they had one of those Jets as backline, I was a little nervous but I actually liked it fine, a little more midrange push than the blackface Fenders I'm used to playing but not too much. But I'd be really worried about running out of headroom, I know what you mean about liking un-pristine cleans, but then again there's nothing worse than having an SRV type sound on a gig like that.

Same with a Pro Jr though, I'd think you'd be looking at something with more ummph, maybe 2x6L6s. Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Classic 50 or 30, Carvin Bel Aire, etc.

5. BigSB

BigSB Member

Unfortunately, size/weight are an issue. I am in the minority that actually really liked my HRDx; both channels, honestly! Too bad the HRDx is too heavy for me these days with back problems and hernias.

I've only ever played through one Peavey Classic 30 that I liked. The others I have tried were harsh, trebly and overly bright. I don't know if the one I liked had been modded; I wasn't in the market for an amp at the time because I owned an Alessandro Working Dog back then. Now THAT was a light combo with tone for years, not days.