Which one? BJF Honey Bee or EGDM

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dczay, Jan 15, 2006.

1. dczay

dczay Gold Supporting Member

I am trying to decide which BJF pedal, Honey Bee or EGDM is the best for my application. The 10 sec clips on Musictoys don't give me a real good understanding of the capabilities of each. The pedal would be used with older marshall and Vox amps, Les Pauls or V's playing blues to rock. Any insights are appreciated. Thanks.

2. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Order both, send one back,, youll always wonder - they both can be good for that application:BluesBros

3. dczay

dczay Gold Supporting Member

That is what I am afraid of! LOL. I have heard nothing but great things about all of his stuff. I ordered a Sea Blue which should be here in a couple of days. The key thing is that it blend in organically with the amps.

Dean from S.O.S. suggested the same as you both, buy each............. Maybe that does make the most sense.

4. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

The EGDM is great with Vox style amps, it is voiced to mate with them. I have tried it with an EL34 amp and didn't care for the combo. It does sound great with my TopHat EL84 based amp! Haven't tried the HB....

Joe

5. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

That's amazing, I didn't like it at all with 34's, and everything that I have read on it says that it is more voxey.........

I don't care how it got here, I love it with my TH!

Joe

6. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

Same thing here. I tried it with my Fargen MiniPlex and really dislike it.
    But it's another story with my Hayseed 30 which is a Vox clone, it SHINES!!!

Here's what Bjorn has to say about it:
    Now the EGDM was particurlarly designed to work with specific amplifiers and generally I'd only recommend use of this pedal with Vox amplifiers for those that need a heavy sound that will hold together.
    In an amplifier like this the harder it is driven the less predistortion it can take without havocing sound and if denser distortion is desired volume boost is only option, hence the volume boost on tap. This also means that pedal can be used as a booster aswell as distortion machine therefore EGDM works under all the conditions mentioned with certain amps.

7. drolling

drolling Member

OK, in an ideal world where money was no object, I'd have a board full of BJFelectronics - and one of his amps, too!

But as it stands, I'm slowly acquiring them one at a time. The two I have completely blow me away. They merge into my sound in a most *un*pedal-like way - and extremely versatile, too.

The SBEQ works great w/just about everything..amps, pedals, guitars...even acoustic guitars blossom when massaged w/a bit of SeaBlue.

The HoneyBee, too, is way more than a one trick pony- my favorite trick is how it makes a big clean fender sound like sound like a well broken-in tweed champ - but much, much louder!

An old-school tone that I use w/an archtop for jump blues, swing & jazz.

In fact, the HB & SBEQ are the only pedals I use in my *Electric Django* trio - every time I plug in the old Selmer, it feels like 1949.

But I'm getting the impression that EGDM's a little more specific in its application. Anybody using it w/an AC-15? Mine's the 2 10 model, and I'm having a helluva time find pedals that work w/it..

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I've had both pedals, and both are great.

Honey Bee - better suited for low to medium gain.

EGDM - better suited for medium to higher gain.

Tonally, they both sound excellent, so I'd just pick according to what level gain you want.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Ricky, you & I've been *fine-tuning* our rigs quite extensively this past year, and have gone thru' a lot of the same gear.

What's on your board right now?

What's :) "coming in?"...

10. fast ricky love

Howdy drolling, I've narrowed it down to this:

Strobostomp ---> Timmy ---> Diamond Compressor ---> amp.

I've got a Diamond Memory Lane coming in the next couple of days, VERY excited to try that. I'm kind of a purist in that I'm not really a bit effect guy, but I think a tasteful delay on a couple of songs we do could be a nice touch... I'm also on 'the list' for a Zendrive 2, but based on recent threads, I think I may as well forget about that one and be pleasantly surprised when I get the call... that's it! Don't think I'll be wanting much after that...

I just can't do better to my ears than the Timmy, I've gone thru OD's like mad and still that one is king. The Diamond is just soooo great at adding that final tonal tweek and sparkle.

Where are you at? :)

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I have both the EGDM and the HB agree with the above statements. The EGDM has more gain on tap and can be used to boost or add gain from the pedal. It is voiced specifically like a Vox. Vox amps are not known for huge bass but for mids and highs and the pedal is voiced appropriately although it does not attenuate the bass like some pedals. It is crunchier in some ways than the HB and can be set as a Boost, OD or Distortion. It has more sustain as a result. I find it more versatile and thicker than the Timmy.

The HB is more of an OD only. It is low to medium gain and can have more bass response depending on how it's set. It is smoother and rounder overall. Where the EGDM adds crunch, the HB sort of rounds out the tone and warms it up a bit. The Honey Bee is the perfect name for it.

With my Tele, I prefer the EGDM for the bridge pickup and the HB for the middle and neck positions.

To me, the EGDM is the perfect mate for Vox style amps because these amps respond better to boost type pedals then to OD's. The EGDM can do BOTH!

12. Don Rusk

Remember the EGDM also has an internal treble trimmer if your trying it with an amp with detailed highend --- also it stacks really well into the Honey Bee or SBEQ which both will refocus the high treble....

13. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i'm at the same point as you :) ... i have a hellbilly and blue boy as well, but i'm pretty sure they're leaving. then we have twin pedal boards! WOOOHOOO

14. drolling

drolling Member

Yes I have all those listed and, uh.. a few more - Including the Diamond delay. Like the compressor, it's an elegant & sophisicated design - the tone control does more very interesting thing to the delay as it decays, as does the modulation circuitry. I'm on the waiting list for an Echoczar, but it's hard for me to imagine analog delay done better than the Memory Lane. Please post your impressions after you've had a chance to work w/it..

15. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

You mention that you're playing "blues to rock." If the blues part of that calls for some Claptonian forays similar to "Badge" and the other things where he used a small amp, then you'd probably want to at least start with the Honey Bee. I have one. Sounds incredible with the Les Paul and Tele. Sort of like pouring some Log Cabin over the power tubes.

16. fast ricky love

Hey curehandy, that is wild! Isn't it a great, simple rig? I find depending on which guitar I'm playing all I need to do is tweek the EQ on the Diamond and I'm pretty much there... well maybe the bass on the amp a touch higher for my P-90 guitars LP's than my humbucking LP's...

drolling, I will post a report for sure. Where should I place the ML in that chain? Last after the compressor?

17. Don Rusk

Yes the Honey Bee is wonderful for that vintage pick sensitive 'grunt....