Which one do you prefer Timmy or Tim? (poll)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hippieboy, Aug 21, 2019.

Which one do you prefer?

1. Timmy

52 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Tim

56 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. fossilfuel

fossilfuel dismember

Originally I owned the Tim, but never utilized the pedal to its fullest so I moved it along.
    The loop was a cool idea but I didn't use it. The Timmy is all I really needed.

hippieboy likes this.
  2. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

i have both too
    Tim>Timmy

hippieboy likes this.
  3. Liquid_Mojo

Liquid_Mojo Supporting Member

I have a Tim and have gone through 3 different Timmy’s. Still have the Tim.

They basically sound the same, except the Tim has less gain on the normal channel compared to the Timmy. But, when the boost is engaged, it has double the gain the Timmy has. Plus, the effects loop is another nice feature.

songtalk and hippieboy like this.
  4. Abandoned

Abandoned Tweed Tube Tone Purist Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

My situation must have been unique.

I owned 2 Tim’s and 2 Timmy’s. The Tim’s always sound fuller, the timmy’s sounded more like a pedal.

These results were through same guitars and amps in the same setting and at the same time.

I never used all the Tim’s extra features though.

hippieboy likes this.
  5. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

The Tim is no more expensive than a Chase Bliss pedal on reverb. Pick one up and if you don't like it, just sell for what you paid. I've had both, I like the Tim more but I'd take either.

hippieboy and Peps like this.
  6. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

It's not about the money per se, although I don't have money at the moment lol, it's about getting one where I live, I live in El Salvador and it's a big problem getting something from reverb or any company like that, or through mail for that matter, let's just say I've had bad experiences in the past specially with used gear through mail or similar delivery options, it's either too expensive or too risky, so it's not worth it to me.

Abram4235 likes this.
  7. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

Ah got it. That really sucks, a lot of sellers wont ship out of the US either so I'm sure its tough. I wouldn't hesitate to get a timmy then. The v3 will have the boost option although not switchable.

hippieboy likes this.
  8. Peps

Peps Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

I recommend checking https://www.guitargear.com.mx. They are located in three different states in Mexico, and have all kinds of gear. Most of my collection came from him when I was living in Mexico. If he doesn't have something you're looking for, he will get it. I used to live in Chiapas, not that far away from El Salvador, so I'm almost positive that shipping won't be as bad as if you'd order from the USA.

hippieboy and zwiefldraader like this.
  9. chadmo1

chadmo1 Member

This.

10. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Based on this post from @PaulC it seems the newest version of the Timmy (V3) will have a channels similar to the normal and boost channel of the Tim.

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Had two Timmys. Excellent pedal.

Have two Tims (from before there was a Timmy.) A different pedal in a couple key ways. And for me, much better. The gain knob taper is the key difference. Wider sweep, much easier to make subtle adjustments (and to return to a favorite one) on a Tim. The other decider is that extra feature - the loop - on the Tim. Very useful. And it turns out that some OD sound rather different (better) in that loop than stacked after the Tim.

hippieboy and Enjoyer like this.
  12. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

The loop always sounded cool to me! not many people talk about it though.

13. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Hippie. The loop is invaluable for quickly trying out pedals without dismantling the board. Earns its keep just for that. I learned about the virtues of looping vs. stacking by experimenting with several ODs. Tim being so good and clean boost being usually all I use, it was simple curiosity. Found that the really good choices tended to sound different when looped vs. stacked. A very useful option to have. The only downside is, if you don't use it for years at a time you might get derailed by a little corrosion in one of the loop connections. (Happened once to one of my Tims.) Easily fixed. The tech told me to jumper the loop closed when not using, No way to go wrong then.

hippieboy and flyingmusicman like this.
  14. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I bought a Tim, and love it.

hippieboy likes this.
  15. Shnook

Shnook Member

I had a Tim on my board for nearly 15 years. I stupidly sold it last fall because I needed to pay off a vet bill and I’d changed my main guitar and amp setup and wasn’t really using pedals. Now that I’ve gone back to my old rig, the Tim is severely missed. I had two Timmy’s over the years. I much prefer the Tim.

hippieboy likes this.
  16. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

I own a TIM so I go with what I know and I love my TIM. I have never even heard clips of the Timmy.

hippieboy likes this.
  17. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Had and used both but kept the Timmy. While the Tim has a somewhat sweeter low gain sound, the boost added too much bass. The Timmy is just perfect for me and the right size!

hippieboy and aaronjcurtis like this.
  18. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Have Tim for years and recently bought a Timmy for minimal board. I got the green Starburst version with a different chip. Had to change the chip back to standard, then all has been well. Given the choice, I would take the Tim, but Timmy does its job just fine.

hippieboy likes this.
  19. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Nice, it seems that Tim is still very popular even with all the timmys out there.

20. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

As a long time perf board Timmy owner, always been curious about the Tim. At the time I was getting on the list with PaulC, I decided to go with the cheaper one and got the Timmy.

Fairly recently I decided to run the Timmy last in the dirt chain and just love it there. Still great for boosting my amps dirty channels, but also great with other dirt pedals pushing it.

hippieboy likes this.