Which one for Vox: Blue Note, Chicken Soup, Guthrie Trapp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by smv929, Mar 9, 2015.

1. smv929

smv929 Member

I tried a Nobles OD pedal once and thought it was good. Since then, I recently starting using a Vox clone (Jackson Britain 30) and think a Nobles type pedal would work well. I see several Rockett pedals are based on that circuit. The demos of all the pedals sound great, and they are all very similar. So it's hard to choose. Which of these should I get:

Chicken Soup
    Blue Note
    Guthrie Trapp

I've had only one gig with the new amp, and at louder gig volumes, I realized I really don't need that much gain, since the amp is 30 watts and I can push it pretty good. Adding too much gain from pedals loses the Vox sparkle. However at a lower volume, private gig, I might want more gain from the pedal.

2. cacibi

cacibi Member

Blue Note based on:

You're not looking for much additional gain
    Sounds like you're not wanting to change the overall character of the amp

I own both the Blue Note and Chicken Soup. While not a Tubescreamer exactly - the CS adds miss and compression. The Blue Note is much more transparent and really works well with any amp I have tried it with. Much like the Barber pedals, it feels more like an attenuator than an overdrive pedal.

3. ruger9

ruger9 Member

I've owned the BN and Guthrie. For various reasons, I think the BN kills the Guthrie. The only benefit the Guthrie has over the BN is alot more gain. But I really feel the BN is better in every other aspect. And with the "Hot" switch, I don't need any more gain than that anyway.

Neither one is particularly "Voxy", but I would recommend the BN.

Blue note or Chicken Soup. I've never owned the CS, just the Nobels, and I think the BN is also better than the Nobels.

4. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

Check out the Blue Note and if there isn't enough gain on tap for you, then flip it and get the Guthrie. I have only owned the Blue Note, not the GT, and can vouch that the BN is very transparent and will let you retain the chime from your amp. For me, the BN didn't have enough gain when playing with vintage single coils, so I settled on an XTS Imperial. I'd say the Imperial is probably very close to the GT.

5. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 Member

Just to throw another option in for consideration, the Visual Sound Open Road is also based on the Nobels ODR-1 from what I've heard.

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I think my BN has about as much gain as the Nobels ODR-1 that I had. I prefer the smoother sound of the BN.

7. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

I keep all three on my board - I like 'em all. They're all voiced very differently.

I'd go by what level of gain you're primarily after. If it's low or low-mid gain, go with the BN. It's the smoothest (and likely the darkest too) of the 3. If you want maybe a little more gain and a hair of country twang in the voicing, the CS is your pedal. If you want more gain and a little more harsh attack, the GT is the one.

All three are great. Because I like them all so much, I also now have the Led Boots and Archer, so I guess it could be said I'm becoming a Rockett fanboy. But they're incredibly well built, sound great, and are pretty versatile besides.

8. danman

danman Member

The blue note was one of those pedals I expected decent thing based on reviews, and was very surprised by how much I liked it. In fact, I keep trying to find reasons to knock it off the board but just miss it too much.

The chicken soup is pretty much the nobels tone, pretty cool but very different vibe. I had the ODR for a bit with my el84 amps but ultimately it didn't last. My BN has become a big part of my basic gain structure with my cub iii(sorta voxy?)

9. edwardz

edwardz Member

I had the CS and still have the BN (2 of them). I found the CS to be more compressed and a bit thicker and darker sounding. It definitely adds its own flavor. I dug it quite a bit for a while but eventually turned it.

The BN on the other hand is one that I've grown more attched to over time. It can be very transparent, or it can add its own thing which is sort of TS-sounding. I like it better than any TS-style pedal I've ever owned though. IMO, it's voiced better, not nasally and more open sounding. I get some nice woody blues tones with it and like it equally with humbuggies and singles. It's not going anywhere.

FWIW, John Scofield has been using the BN with his Vox AC 30s for a couple years. Saw him last week at the Sco-Mule show. HOLY SMOKES!