Which one is the best stand - Hercules GS415B or Ultimate GS100?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Macaroni, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

2. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I have two of the Hercules stands and really like them.

3. justonwo

justonwo Member

I'm really partial to the Hercules stands.

4. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Hercules hands down.

5. DavidE

DavidE Member

I have some Ultimate singles and a double. I just bought a Herc double. It's bulkier both collapsed and set up than the Ultimate, but the mechanism that puts arms in front of the fretboard gives me extra confidence with the Herc. Plus, the bulkiness may lead to better stability.

I never had a problem with the Ultimates, but the rubber bands you could lock across the front always fall off and I think I have 1 out of 4 left and it's not even on the stand.

6. DavidE

DavidE Member

7. David Collins

David Collins Member

I've never used their floor stands, but I have 10 of the GSP40WB's on my shop walls and think they're great.

8. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Hercules for me.

-jm

9. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

The autolock is the only way to go.......I have the 3 way and so far it's the only stand I trust with over 12k worth of guitars on it.:dude

10. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Every Ultimate I've had has broken. I haven't tried the Hercules and hopefully it's an improvement. But my favorite is the steel Hamilton hanging stand. These have been around for at least 30 years. I have one that old and a recent one and they're identical. All steel and no failures in all these years. The rubber did wear out in one spot on my old one, but it's otherwise good as new. They can be a little hard to find, but they're the most roadworthy I've seen, and no more money than the ones with all the plastic parts that break.

11. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

I have several of the Ultimate stands and I've yet to have a problem. They work perfectly. The Hercules look nice, but I'd be concerned that the locking mechanism might fail at some point...

Jamie

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I went to GC today and looked at both units. The Ultimate seemed a bit wobbly - not cheap, just not as solid feeling as I would like. The Hercules seemed to be a bit more robust in terms of materials and connections, and it does have the locking headstock bit, which is nice.

Hmmmm...?

13. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Interesting note on the Hercules. Has anyone read reviews on sellers sites? Some are complaining about it marking the necks where it rests.

Now I have one and like it, I don't see marks on either my LP or Strat but I have only owned it for a month too. Here are some comments. I myself think these people are sniffing glue but if others can convince me I may change my mind.

My bassist was going to get one until he read these. I told him that is sounds fishy but who knows.

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Thanks for the heads up on those reviews. I checked that site, and for a proper perspective, those negative reviews were the only bad ones out of a total of 22 reviews, which were, for the most part, very positive.

That seems like a normal ratio of bad units to good. IOW, you will always find a couple of bad reviews even for a highly regarded product. That being said, it's always smart to get all perspectives, so you don't miss any important issues.

15. ghoti

ghoti Member

16. rooster

rooster Member

Agreed. I've got 7 of them. Great stuff. I wouldn't want to use anything else.

rooster.

17. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I agree w/Bluegrif and Rooster...the Hamilton neck hangers are great. I dont know if they still sell them though. Their only real weakness are the rivets that hold the folding legs sometimes wear out but can be replaced if you have a rivet tool.

The Hercules stands are too heavy to carry around.

18. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I've never had a problem with the rivets on the Hamiltons. But I've sure had those plastic clamps on the Ultimates break. I'd never buy another stand with so many hard plastic parts. Except maybe for studio only use.

The Hamiltons are still available, and worth seeking out:
    http://www.hamiltonstands.com/guitar/kb38.htm

19. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the steel Hamilton hanging stands.

20. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Silver Supporting Member

I have both but the Hercules is new - the Ultimate old. Never had a problem with the Ultimate - still use the rubber band restraint but I prefer the Hercules because it's easier to grab a guitar and put it back without unstrapping the rubber band like on the Ultimate. One word of caution - wrap the rubber on any stand with cotton cloth if you have a Nitro finished guitar. I have a polishing cloth wrapped around the Hercules headstock holder in such a way as to allow the spring-hinged brackets to function.