Which one of your guitars means the most to you and why? Just a fun question :)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lespaullover, Dec 25, 2012.

1. lespaullover

lespaullover Member

Mine is a 2005 Les Paul Standard that I worked 3 jobs in one summer when I was 17 in order to pay for it. It was my dream to own a Gibson and it was one of my greatest accomplishments at the time to save up and become a proud owner. To this day, I still believe it has one of the best flame tops I've ever seen on a standard in addition to it being heavy and rich like a Gibson should be. It also is one of the best playing Les Pauls I've ever played, hands down. I was a lucky man to get a Gibson of that quality. That Gibson has so much sentimental value for that reason and I hope to pass it on to my kids some day. What about you guys? and extra credit for pictures ;)

2. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

This was my dad's. a 1946 Silvertone that I rescued in pieces from mom's attic. Spent months putting it back together.

[​IMG]

And my tele because I made it.
    [​IMG]

3. wagdog

wagdog Member

My '81 les paul custom, which I worked all summer to buy in 1981... for $599:

[​IMG]

4. mfitz804

mfitz804 Member

Toss up between my 1978 Strat, the deposit which secured same having been the first gift my wife gave me when we were dating, and my 2007 Fender Robert Cray Strat that was delivered on the day my daughter was born.

5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Bought it from my good friend in the mid 80s, played it at my wedding on stage with that friend, who was my best man. He passed away a few years later. There's a funny pawn shop story that goes with it involving how my friend came by it and which illustrates his off the wall personality--you'd have to know him.

So by far the most sentimental value, and my wife has even said I can never sell it.

[​IMG]

6. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

Probably my '74 Fender Strat, purchased brand new.

It took me a year to repay my parents.
    Foolishly traded it once, but it found it's way back to me.

7. erplander

erplander Member

Like wagadog above, I worked all summer of 1981 to buy a guitar, in my case a 1979 ES-335, new off the rack, also for $600! It's still my No. 1.

The other guitar that means the most to me is a Martin SPD16 that my wife gave me as an anniversary present.

8. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

This was the first one my g/f made for me 8 years ago.
    It goes to almost every gig I play, her face lights up when I play it. Best feeling/sounding guitar I have ever played. She waited a long time for the right body.
    (I have a 2nd Esquire that she calls her "masterpiece, we have a 3rd on the drawing board).

[​IMG]

9. wagdog

wagdog Member

Got a pic of that?

Here's mine (been modded a bit, actually had a humbucker in the neck position at one point, it's a player):

[​IMG]

10. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Probably my early 70's SG , just cause it's one of the first brand name guitars I worked for , earned and eventually bought myself. Still have it in the original chip board case.

P90s , Bigsby trem. Pretty classic and great player even though it was not a great period of time in Gibson guitar history.

11. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

MEANS something to me? Hmm.

It would have to be a Guild Acoustic electric my (then) girlfriend bought me @ 1998. I slavered over it, and never asked for permission to buy; just said 'someday'. At that time we had VERY little money as we were trying to buy a house, and when she walked it in on my birthday, very nearly cried. (I won't go over the extreme measures she went through to hide the money away, but suffice it to say, she skipped more than a few lunches to get it for me.)

Still my wife...obviously.

12. Dale

Dale Member

Hum ... Means the most for sentimental reasons? Probably my Carvin Hardtail Bolt Kit.. I have had it over 15 years and it has a zillion hours of effort into it. It has been through many configurations over the years. I have worn out one neck and re-necked it the last year. One piece mahogany body with 12+ coats of Tung Oil finish sanded into it from 400 grit to 2000. One day I will swap the pickups out (I do not really the BB Pro's) for DZ 36's or Antiquities and move the switch to a more right hand friendly location.

[​IMG]

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

My '76 SG. I started out playing bass when I was 8 ( 1976). Around 1979 I decided I wanted to play guitar so my old man let's me play his SG. On my 13th birthday he gives it to me outright. I learned how to play on that guitar and did a lot of stupid crap to it along the way including removing the neck pickup so I could lower the action ( I know, I know, but at least I was smart enough to keep the pickup). I also broke some of the tuners and generally beat the poor thing to crap. In the same incident that broke the tuners the poor thing also suffered the infamous headstock crack. Fast forward 25 years and I manage to track down a set of the original tuners, fix the cracked neck and reinstall the pickup. It's still beat to hell, but it's all original and is a hell of a player. My old man bought this guitar brand new in 1974 along with a used 1962 Fender Brown Deluxe. I have both of them and will never sell them.

Headstock crack. Fixed, but not refinished.

[​IMG]

Sporting the right tuners along with the '62 Brownie ( Kiwi'ed black by my old man in the early 70s lol).

[​IMG]

14. lespaullover

lespaullover Member

It's great to hear from everyone. I love hearing stories from fellow musicians. It's funny how a few chunks of wood and some metal can bring back some favorite memories or remind us of a special time or person. Some people might think we're crazy, but my love and passion for music is one I'll have 'til the day I die. :) rock on people!

15. slpayne

slpayne Member

'08 Gibson LP Studio Faded. It was my 17th birthday present in the Fall of '09, and my mom went halfsies with me for it. She couldn't really afford her half and had to sacrifice a TON to get it. I had saved up my half all from gigging, which around this little town for a kid who had only been playing two years and gigging for one was a pretty decent accomplishment, and it has been my number one since. Played it so much I've worn through much of the finish on the edges of the neck, and there is a sizable place on the top near the top left hand corner of the neck pup where my pick has worn down to the raw wood. That guitar and I have been through alot in a really short amount of time, and I will never sell it.

16. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

All three of my Les Pauls are special, but this one has to be the most special of them---because it was a Valentine's Day present from my lady:

[​IMG]

17. Jonny D

Jonny D Member

Acoustic: my Taylor 514c that I saved and scraped for in 1999. It has been everywhere with me.
    Electric: actually, my Epiphone Emperor Regent that my wife bought for me just after our wedding (she really sacrificed to get that guitar).

18. thesooze

thesooze Member

My 90's Taylor acoustic. Purchased for me by my late Grandmother, with whom I was very close. She bought me the guitar when she was near the end of her life, and wanted me to always remember her when I play it. That guitar will always be in my collection.

19. donthasslethehoff

donthasslethehoff Supporting Member

my 1990 es-347, bought new, when I was 19..saved the money by working at pizza hut, and working at a Lawn and Garden shop( cleaning bird cages, selling fertilizer, checking pool ph, and painting garden gnomes)

20. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

'69 Contreras classical. My mom brought it here from the Old Country.