Which one would you choose?

Which body would you choose?

• Body number 1 - 1 piece, 3 lb., 7 oz.

• Body number 2 - 2 piece, 3 lb., 13 oz.

• Body number 3 - 2 piece, 3 lb., 3oz.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member

Body number 1: 1 piece, 3 lb., 7 oz.
Body number 2: 2 piece, 3 lb., 13 oz.
Body number 3: 2 piece, 3 lb., 3oz.
It will be finished in a solid color so grain pattern isn't a concern with me.

PS - The bodies were chosen to be resonant.

Slowlicks

I like the tight grain on the number three... The two piece doesn't bother me in the least. It maybe a bit more stable but I think that's splitting hairs.
I also like the lighter weight.. Although they're all close.
Yea, its the 3 wood for me. I want to know which you decide on!!

Vintage Semi Transparent Nitro... whhooooo!!

Trebor Renkluaf

Gold Supporting Member
I like the tight grain on the number three... The two piece doesn't bother me in the least. It maybe a bit more stable but I think that's splitting hairs.
I also like the lighter weight.. Although they're all close.
Yea, its the 3 wood for me. I want to know which you decide on!!

Vintage Semi Transparent Nitro... whhooooo!!
Two pieces doesn't bother me at all. One piece bodies are overrated. Did Fender ever produce any one piece bodies back in the golden ages?

Trebor Renkluaf

Gold Supporting Member
No. 1, I love the looks of #2, but I like one-piece bodies even better.
The one piece isn't a deciding factor for me. To the best of my knowledge, Fender never did one piece bodies back in the day. It's a modern invention to satisfy internet curmudgeons! :D

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
I have a one piece swamp ash body on my LsL T-Bone and it is the nicest Tele I have played. It warms up like a good acoustic guitar and after 20 minutes the guitar resonates like you wouldn't believe!

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
Trebor Renkluaf said:
Two pieces doesn't bother me at all. One piece bodies are overrated. Did Fender ever produce any one piece bodies back in the golden ages?
Yes they did, but most are two piece as it is easier to find wood for that and two pieces would be stronger. But to me stiffer means less resonant.

TheFife

I wont vote, because I have no clue. But I do like hearing people's reasoning for choosing one over another. It also makes me wonder if the fancy makers like Suhr or Anderson have guidelines they use. Part of me thinks they probably use almost every body they make, in which case there is no point in worrying about which one is better since all of them will get sold.

Brad

Trebor Renkluaf

Gold Supporting Member
Can you tap them and feel/hear how the wood reacts? TONE!!
No I can't. I asked the builder to pick them for me for resonance and told him I would be finishing it in a solid color so pretty grain wasn't a concern. I have to assume he picked them for resonance, cause they sure aint pretty!

Husky

I wont vote, because I have no clue. But I do like hearing people's reasoning for choosing one over another. It also makes me wonder if the fancy makers like Suhr or Anderson have guidelines they use. Part of me thinks they probably use almost every body they make, in which case there is no point in worrying about which one is better since all of them will get sold.

Brad
We select all our wood before we cut the body.
We reject over 50% of the lumber, then we might have to reject 10~20% of the product after it is cut. We most certainly do not use all the bodies.I wish !

M

Member 37136

It will be finished in a solid color so grain pattern isn't a concern with me
The one piece isn't a deciding factor for me
If you aren't going to see the grain, and the number of pieces is irrelevant, pick the lightest one.

Trebor Renkluaf

Gold Supporting Member
We select all our wood before we cut the body.
We reject over 50% of the lumber, then we might have to reject 10~20% of the product after it is cut. We most certainly do not use all the bodies.I wish !
Hi John,
I value your opinion very highly. What do you look for in a body? Wight? Resonance? Tap Tone? All of the above? None of the above? I wanna have fun building up a parts-o-caster, but also want to stack the odds in my favor that it might be something I actually like and play.
Thanks
Bob

magicaxeman

Your gonna solid colour it so grain pattern etc doesnt matter, but a nice tight grain with few flaws in the wood is always preferable, so no 3 for me

Husky

Hi John,
I value your opinion very highly. What do you look for in a body? Wight? Resonance? Tap Tone? All of the above? None of the above? I wanna have fun building up a parts-o-caster, but also want to stack the odds in my favor that it might be something I actually like and play.
Thanks
Bob
Yes, Yes, Yes
Send me an email :noevil

Slowlicks

Fender most likely did build a few solid bodied guitars at some time or another.. But I'm not certain.
You say they're not pretty.. With the right semi transparent color on any of them they would look great. Especially number three.

I've had two built from scratch.. The Vintage Semi transparent Nitro Yellow Start had grain much like the number three. With a vintage white pearlized pick guard, cream pickup covers, black knobs and Brazilian fretboard over a figured maple neck.
The guitar was stunning.

Trending Topics