Which ONEand ONLY OD do I need for...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by newstrat60, Feb 9, 2006.

1. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

...being good at :

- low volumes use (bedroom), with a Strat and clean Blues Jr (el84) ;

- rythm / chords main work on the bridge Strat sc,

- classic 60-70s saturated tube amp sound ;

- melting with fuzz and wah.

Cos' i'm LOST !!!!

i'm hesitating beetween Eternity, Tim, BJFE Honey Bee and who nows what else ! (i'm in this price range)

I've been told FDII and Klon can suck at low volumes...

help !

2. erksin

erksin Member

I've only found a few ODs that I really liked that meet your criteria -

Timmy
    MI Audio Blue Boy
    Keeley TS-9/808 Plus Mod
    Hermida Mosferatu

I still have the Timmy and the Blue Boy, the Timmy melds great w/fuzzes. The BB is just so freakin' versatile it works with anything I plug into it.

Getting 'believeable' amp-like tones with boxes at low volume is incredibly tough - the Timmy and BB can do it the best to my ears so far. I sold the Keeley and Hermida in favor of the BB - they sounded more like pedals than the BB, IMO...

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Before you spent a ton of money, try the Tube Slammer by CMATMODS I was in search of your first three criteria (plus it had to work with our Church's PA system) and this was the only one that got it done with tone that I liked. Now melting with Wah and Fuzz .. I don't know I don't use a Wah or Fuzz.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Don't forget to try out the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde (a GREAT less expensive and very flexible mix with an OD and a Distortion unit).

Personally, I would buy the first version (the silver one) over the red, I just like it better.

The Dist side playing with the EQ knob you can get Marshally sounds, or just good distortion...the OD is much better and more versatile than the TS, but can sound pretty similar also if wanted.

They can be "stacked" turn each on seperately (the FS is really nicely set up so you can go in one "stomp" say if you have one or the other on, turn it off and the other one on at the same time, or both on, or one on at a time.)

It's one of those pedals that I find I play with, and play with, and it just keeps surprising me (had mine 2 years now) with what it can do...and at bedroom OR band levels. I play bedroom level at home a LOT, but in a band one night a week.

Plus, they are readily available, no wait. I see them often on ebay and in music stores. The Red one is probably better in some respects, but It didn't give me as much as the older one.

5. el34power

el34power Member

.....I'll say it again. The Digitech DF-7 was made for that.
    Go from TS9 to DOD250, DS-1 RAT,MT-2, MM, Big Muff. At low volumes, this is it.

6. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

thanks guys, i forgot an essential criteria : i want this OD to respect the sound of my beautifull Strat Custom '60... so i guess it has to be a bit "transparent"

7. blueprint

blueprint Member

Eric, you are going to get more confused with threads like that...:jo

Anyway, my suggestion:

You are GASsing for highly sought after pedals, all of them have a strong resale value. Do yourself a favor, buy one of them try it and get rid of it if does not the job.
    And so on!

By the way, did you tried some stock Boss, DOD, or Ibanez to get a better idea of what you like and dislike. Before purchasing boutique pedals, it could be something interesting.

In this area, I would recommend the Bad Monkey.

Just my 1 cent...;)

8. el34power

el34power Member

Well then a Keeley BD-2 would be a good choice... I still stand by the DF-7. I will often use the DF-7 and kick in the Keeley for solos.

Salut!

9. Craise

Craise Member

I'd say the BJF HB is the way to go....when you were describing what you were looking for, that's what came to mind... really do a search (if you haven't already) for HB threads. I think you will find that it's everything you are looking for. :)

10. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

I have a Jacques handmade Sleep Talker
    i've only tried a stock ts9 on a crapy strat into a clean Fender hot rod deluxe, i was not floored
    I felt the FDII was better than a stock TS9, more musical maybe

11. r9player

OD that is transparent? I don't think of Transparent when I think of OD. But the Tube Slammer has a very balanced tone with a decent Tone range (from the knob) so I guess it qualifies as transparent since it doesn't "omit" a frequency band from what the guitar throws in.
    My CMATMODS Tube Slammer works great with my Strat, Tele and LP

12. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

hey i'm pissed off, a lot of you guys dont want me to get boutique gems that you rave for all day and all night:mad: :BITCH :D

seriously, Blueprint is right when he says i should try stock peds like Ibanez, Boss, etc...

... but its already too late, i'm already boutique corrupted !!! i have Jacques and ZVex !!! i cant turn back :D :angel

13. blueprint

blueprint Member

Eric, Pm me your phone #...:)

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

Well "bunch of boxes", that's next on my list to try. Good to know. Based on the OD's I own I'd go with the Eternity. Very flexible and sounds good at low volumes.

15. r9player

LOL!
    Well I actually think its not too late.
    I have tried Mesa V-Twin, Barber LTD, Jersey Girl Plusdriver (My favorite except not good at low vol nor into church PA), Texas Two Step to name a few ...
    But in the end the very affordable and cheap CMATMODS Tube Slammer did the job (based on the TS btw I think) at 1/3rd the price :D

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Another few suggestions:
    Tech 21 original Sansamp (or the Classic, but it's not a smooth)
    Foxrox Zim (the very definition of transparent, great range of drive since you can stack the two sides)
    Klon (just sounds so good it has to be on any list, and stacks well with other pedals)
    Tim/Timmy (also very transparent, killer EQ, may not get you the distortion you want by itself but stacks well)

17. trucks

trucks Member

+1 on the Timmy.

18. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Done :BEER