Which Orange drop caps for Fender Blackface?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by RobBozic, Feb 20, 2008.

1. RobBozic

RobBozic Member

Which series of Orange Drop is recommended for a Fender Blackface type amp?

Thanks
    Rob

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I recommend the Mallory 150s over orange drops.

3. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Mike,

Why do you like the Mallory 150 better? Are they closer to what was originally in the amp or do you prefer to tone?

4. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

I like Mallory PVC's in a BF. They sound pretty close to the blue ones used in the mid 60's amps to me, if not a little more detailed. 150's always sound one dimensional in any amps I've used them in. But everyone has their own opinions and there's no right one.

5. AL30

AL30 Member

I prefer the 150 over the Orange Drops too. They seem to be a little smoother to my ears.

Does Mouser carry these? I'm not familiar with them but I'll be making an order in the next few weeks so I may as well pick some up.

AL

6. moj067

moj067 Member

I'll agree w/ Alan on the PVC's -getting harder to find. If not the 6PS Orange Drops series are similar.
    Replaced my blue ones for PVC's and sounds fine to me.
    Good luck.

7. LowellH

LowellH Member

I also like the PVC Orange Drops in BF Fenders. Allied Electronics has them in stock.

8. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

6PS orange drops are nice...Xicon MPP's are too...

9. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Amp guys talking Caps is like Car guys Talking Oil. Everyone has their love/hate stories.

IMHO, non-audiophile caps aren't too expensive. try some out yourself and see how *you* feel about them. Take notes, and make sure you give them time to break in (a whole 'nother argument I'm sure).

I build up a BF Champ using original '63 Transformers I scored from eBay. I used this amp to try out different caps to get a feel for them (and different 12AX7 tubes!). IMHO, I agree that the Mallory PVC gave me the closest to what all my BF amps sounded like stock. But again, try a bunch out for yourself!

10. Carol-AnnAmps

The PS series are exactly the same. I heard they were actually made in the same factory with the same materials. They are a polyester film cap.

I use them in the OD2's. I can't tell the difference between PVC and PS in that amp to be honest. I can tell the difference between the 600V and the 1600V versions though. In some positions I actually prefer the 1600V version.

11. Carol-AnnAmps

Watch out using the generic phrase 'orange drops'. There are several types and materials. Most people seem to assume the 751p or the 761p. I think they sound pretty hard, bright and lack dynamics in most situations and would definately prefer the 150s over those.
    However, the PVC series Mallory and the PS series Spragues are both polyester film . I just think they sound more detailed as I stated before.

12. Trout

Trout Member

Exactly,
    They do offer other versions of their polyesters which I really like a lot also, These are axial lead and are a bit easier to mount in some cases.

The 461M and 460M are excellent sounding polyester caps and IMO sound just like the 6PS series. I find them very articulate and defined.

Sprague orange drops are actually made by SBE but they are hardly the only good quality caps Sprague sells.

Trout

13. the-tone

the-tone Member

I like the Orange drop [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PS Series[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But I prefer Sozo's
    They are both polyester film
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    I find the 715P & 716P to be cold, stiff and harsh sounding
    I personally do not like the Mallory at all, to me it's dark and muffled sounding and I don't think it belongs in a BF style amp at all but that's only my opinion.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

14. AL30

AL30 Member

Thanks for the tip. I am aware of the differnt series of OD's but... I think you mean 715 and 716 series. ;)

But, I agree - the more I hear of the 715/16 series the less I seem to like them. The have a weird tone that I can't dial out - bass almost off and treble cranked and still can't get rid of it. The Mallory 150 series sound a lot smoother to me.

AL

15. jay42

jay42 Member

16. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

How do the Sozo's sound in a BF fender? I may replace some coupling caps soon and want to try these.

Rick

17. Carol-AnnAmps

Yeah I did. I never use them, so I didn't remember.
    I like 150's as cathode bypass caps and in some amps as the Presence cap. Not keen as tone stack or coupling though.

18. AL30

AL30 Member

What do you use for coupling caps and tone stack caps? I'm assuming the PVC Mallory's and the PS Spragues? And what tonal differences to you hear between them and the 150's in those positions?

Thanks

AL

19. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I usually mix my amps with ODs for coupling and 150s for tone. I find that ODs "temper" themselves a bit with age and mellow out to be about right in BF and SF Fenders.

Never tried anything but electrolytics for bypass caps, I'll have to try some 150s or ODs in that position!