Which P90s?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jb1911, Jan 31, 2008.

1. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I have a LP Deluxe Goldtop and I want to go P90s. I'm a single coil lover and I like the Fender sound. I'm not much for HBs and I can't really bond with this guitar. I think the P90s will do it for me, but I know nothing about them other than I like the sound. What would you guys suggest? I'm thinking about Lollars.

[​IMG]

2. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with skipping straight to Lollar, though I'd try Gibson first :)

3. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    Gibson's are definitely worth a shot if you want to just try p-90's first. They'll be a lot less expensive than Lollar's or Fralins for sure.... you can typically find them used here or on ebay...

However, I've had hit or miss experiences with gibson stock p-90's. i had a les paul jr and the p90 in it just killed - just awesome. i have an SG with stock p-90's and they sound good, but not great.... i've been meaning to switch them out to lollar's but i'm spending too much money on pedals lately....

nice looking guitar, BTW. i have a buddy that has a goldtop just like yours and switched out the pickups to fralins and he really digs 'em....

4. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

Keep in mind P90s sound nothing like Strat or Tele pickups.

5. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I have no problem with S. Duncans. I have a set of Lollars a friend gave me but honestly afraid to muck with my 2 guitars with the Duncans because they sound so good to me.

Be a lot less expensive too...

6. Swirl

Swirl Member

I absolutely love the Suhr S-90.

7. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I checked out some prices and the Gibsons were just as much as the Lollars and in some places, more. Lollar also has a "vintage wind" that is supposed to be scatter wound with weaker magnets that sound closer to single coils. Man, it's so hard to make up my mind, I've been thinking of doing this for over a year.

8. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

Don't feel bad, I am in the same boat as you. I have a reissues gold top LP Deluxe that I am in the process of finding/ buying P-90's. I have decided on either Lollar or Fralin.

I like the mini HB's, but I like the sound of my other LP Standard with WCR Crossroads much better. So for variety I want to put P-90's in the Deluxe. I had a 1977 Les Paul Pro Deluxe for many years, so I know what I am getting into. I am mostly a single coil lover -Strats/Teles especially Suhr. However, your LP is still going to sound like a LP - but with P-90's. It will in no shape have a Fender single coil quality. In fact some say the mini HB's in the Deluxe get close to a Tele sound - I can see some resemblance. One thing the P-90's will do is make your LP fatter - something not usually equated with the classic Tele sound. Don't get me wrong the P-90 makes a glorious sound with a LP, just not a Fender quality.

BTW, if you are plugging into that Deluxe Reverb with the LP it may not be the best marriage in my opinion. I never cared for LP's with old Fender amps. Strats & Teles by all means, it doesn't get any better. However if you go with the P-90's it will definitely help the marriage. The LP Deluxe can sound a bit brittle and sterile in a Fender amp. Just my $.02.

9. thedroid

thedroid Member

I've got Lollars in an epi goldtop, and they're fantastic. P90s have a much fatter, warmer sound than a Fender, but I think you'll like them better than the HBs.

10. tommc

tommc Member

I have a '75 Les Paul Deluxe which I bought new. I have tried several types of pickups over the years but I am most happy with it now that I the P-90s I got from Pete Biltoff at http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com. I like them much better that the Fralins. Vintage Vibe pickups ship with both ceramic and alnico magnets which you can easily swap out yourself. They are very nicely engineered and will drop into the Deluxe. And, they are resonalbly priced. I recommend you check them out. I can't compare to Lollars as I have never owned Lollars.

11. tommc

tommc Member

One more thought, I have found that the height adjustment on P-90s can have a huge impact on the sound. So, whatever brand you decide to go with, be sure to experiment with the height adjustments of both pickups.

12. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Myself, I prefer the Gibson P90's, raw and aggressive, in my Les Paul. P90's are about as far away from the Fender sound as you can get in a single coil. IMHO your mini's will get you into the Fender camp much closer. If your not bonding with the Lester cause of wanting it to be more in the Fender camp then no pickup choice will help you to bond with it. Just cut your losses sell it and buy a Tele or Strat.
    I moved from the Les Paul camp into the Fender camp as far as sound goes at the beginning of last year. I still have one double cut, but have bought two Strats, and primarily use the Strats now. I still use the Lester some, but the Strat has become my #1.

13. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

I replaced the mini's in my Deluxe LP with Fralin P90's and am much happier:

[​IMG]

14. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I have Lollar P90's in my Collings 290, which is similar to a Les Paul Special (unbelievably better workmanship though). I'm primarily a tele / strat guy, and I was a little worried the P90's might be a little muddy, but the Lollars are full, but still retain great definition.

If I wanted to stay closer to the strat / tele, I'd probably look into the vintage wind lollar P90's others have mentioned, but for myself the stock lollar p-90's are great when I'm looking for something different than a strat or tele.

I also have lollar's tele and strat pickups in other guitars - I don't think you can go wrong with his stuff. Every guitar I've put them in has greatly improved.

15. greatbigz

greatbigz Member

I have a the Epi LP Goldtop and I am in the process of buying P-trons from TV Jones. They are their Magntrons house in a p-90 type enclosure. Love the sound of them, can't wait to get them in.

16. Design Guy

Design Guy Member

I had a set of custom wound P90s made by Arcane Pickups for my Les Paul Special, and couldn't be happier. Creamy, but articulate neck pickup, and the bridge has plenty of bite without sounding the least bit harsh.

http://www.arcane-inc.com/

Rob (Arcane) makes the pickups for James Trussart and helped develop the Tyler humbuckers as well. Top notch stuff and awesome, personalized service!!!

Just throwing it out there, since I personally feel these are as good or better than anything out there.

D - P90s RULE!!! :)

17. dirtyguitar

dirtyguitar Member

Another vote for Duncans and a thought.

I have a McCarty Korina (schwinnng!!) that came stock with Duncan soapbars. They are fat yet articuate and sound great clean or driven. Also have an older Tele copy (ash/maple) with a Duncan vintage P90 in the neck. Great blues sound.

Realistically though - There are a lot of great botique makers, and I think that Duncan and Gibson have pretty good QC too. I would suggest you look for a good deal on something used. That way if you take 2 or 3 sets to find "the sound" you don't lose out as much on the "buy new at retail then sell used at market" game.

Good luck!

DG

18. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

Just a follow up. I picked up a pair of Lollars from a fellow TGP and placed them in my LP Deluxe. There is no going back to the mini HB's for me. I am extremely pleased and the Lollars deliver the goods. They are more detailed and articulate than the mini's.
    :YinYang

19. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Great news! :AOK The P90 is my favorite pickup bar none.

I've lusted for a Gibson Firebird for years now...but I've been warned about those minibuckers way too many times to go for one. I guess it's an acquired taste?