Which pair of OD's?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Feb 17, 2009.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey,

I've had a lot of fun swapping combo's of drives lately, but having a hard time settling on the final pair for my board.

I play funk/rock/jammy/spacey stuff and prefer low to mid-gain drives. I currently have:

MI Audio BBD
    White '06 Eternity
    Timmy
    HBOD

I am looking for one low-gain, body with a bit of grit (slightly dirty boost) and a gritty mid-gain that when combined (with a comp) can get singing, fat, sustain...

I play through a '68 Princeton, '78 Vibrolux Reverb or Mesa DC-3 (to fill my higher gain needs).

Can it be had with these pedals? If so, which 2 would you use and for which purpose? I've only got room for 2 on my board otherwise I'd have 'em all on there!

Brian

2. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

Timmy + any of the 3 would probably work for me. Honestly haven't tried the Honey Bee but have heard tons of clips. I'd put the Timmy last and stack one of those before it keeping the gain low. It's a great formula.

3. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I would go with Timmy for low gain and Eternity for mid gain. The added advantage of these two pedals is that they sound phenomenal when stacked for great lead tone (even better with a comp).

4. erksin

erksin Member

I can cover most everything I care to play with a Timmy and the HBOD. I have a Screw Driver for fuzzier stuff, but I bet if you crank the HBOD's Drive control and mess with the Nature knob it could get there too.

5. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I love my HBOD, but with single coils, even with the drive knob cranked, it still only barely breaks up a clean amp. With HB's it sings, for sure, but I tend to play mostly single coils lately! As such, the HBOD falls into the lower gain category for me...

Brian

6. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah - it likes to see a higher output pickup, I play fairly hot singles (Z-90s) and it has no problem breaking up.

So go with the E or the BBD. They're fairly similar, right? I always thought the BBD could be tweaked to sound a lot like an E...

7. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Timmy + Eternity!

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Zendrive+Hermida Distortion

9. Telecaster069

Telecaster069 Member

liquid sunshine into a hyper pak!

10. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

neither of those are on the list.....
    i'd go timmy and eternity (never played the HB)

11. richpjr

richpjr Member

I went the Barber route: LTD for low gain and DD for med+ gain.

12. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

i have the timmy & a bb preamp, ocdv1, and catalinbread silverkiss mk1.... i cant decide what stays... right now i've got a red, white, & blue dirt section... but that could change tomorrow.

i will always have a sho>tim/my combo on my board though.... right now its a superduper>timmy. i keep the right side of the SD2i1 at noon and the master at 7pm and the 2nd channel at at least 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock. kinda like the dirt that comes out of it, but don't always need the volume boost.

either side of the superduper is a beautiful thing when paired up into the timmy.