• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Which Patch Cables!

Sammy

I want to buy some good sounding new patch cables but don't want to spend a fortune on some of these so called top rated cables!

What do you think on these which are currently for sale at reasonable prices and would there be that much difference between them!

1) Terminator Patch Cables & Neutrick R/angled jacks

2) Planet Waves Patch Cables with their own moulded R/angled jacks

3) Custom made Van Damme Cables with Neutrick R/angled jacks

4) Custom Van Damme Unbalanced Patch Cables with VDO jack connections. ( Should patch cables be balanced!)

Plant Waves being the cheapest and Terminator most expensive out of this selection.

I also use mainly Planet Waves Guitar Leads, though sometimes use George L, but a friend recently advised George L were not that good!

Austinrocks

I want to buy some good sounding new patch cables but don't want to spend a fortune on some of these so called top rated cables!

What do you think on these which are currently for sale at reasonable prices and would there be that much difference between them!

1) Terminator Patch Cables & Neutrick R/angled jacks

2) Planet Waves Patch Cables with their own moulded R/angled jacks

3) Custom made Van Damme Cables with Neutrick R/angled jacks

4) Custom Van Damme Unbalanced Patch Cables with VDO jack connections. ( Should patch cables be balanced!)

Plant Waves being the cheapest and Terminator most expensive out of this selection.

I also use mainly Planet Waves Guitar Leads, though sometimes use George L, but a friend recently advised George L were not that good!

I have GeorgeLs, have a couple planetwave cables but they really kill the tone IMO, GeorgeLs sound so great, sounds like your friends gear must suck and he's hiding behind lousy cables, or he can not make the cables, an ohm meter definitely helps, and the cables are still so much cheaper you can buy a couple expensive multimeters, and your still way ahead.

:banana:banana

really love the georgeLs, I can make them

Sammy

I have GeorgeLs, have a couple planetwave cables but they really kill the tone IMO, GeorgeLs sound so great, sounds like your friends gear must suck and he's hiding behind lousy cables, or he can not make the cables, an ohm meter definitely helps, and the cables are still so much cheaper you can buy a couple expensive multimeters, and your still way ahead.

:banana:banana

really love the georgeLs, I can make them

Actually he uses really expensive cables, way above the price of George L's and what I would pay! He is always A/B gear for the ultimate tone, amps, cables effects you name it, he has more boutique effects pedals than most shops!

You never answered my actual question!:bong

Sammy

Hey what about someone answering my question re the four patch cables I asked about rather than turning it into George L cable appreciation society!:puh

Thanks

sixstring531

Silver Supporting Member
Currently have the planet waves on my board. Never heard the GLs, but I can't hear that big (if anything noticeable to anyone else but me) of different in running through my pedals and straight into the amp.

Not saying there is some tone loss, but it doesn't sound bad and for the price I got the planet waves kit, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
LAVA Cables makes a 'kit' for making pedalboard patch cords that sounds superior to my ears over the George L cables, but are similar to the George L concept in that you can 'build' them yourself and cut them to custom lengths.

Here's the website:

http://www.lavacable.com/

His name is Mark, and he's a TGP member. Oh, as to balanced or not, virtually all stomp boxes use regular old 1/4" jacks with two -conductor wire, not balanced.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

Sammy

LAVA Cables makes a 'kit' for making pedalboard patch cords that sounds superior to my ears over the George L cables, but are similar to the George L concept in that you can 'build' them yourself and cut them to custom lengths.

Here's the website:

http://www.lavacable.com/

His name is Mark, and he's a TGP member. Oh, as to balanced or not, virtually all stomp boxes use regular old 1/4" jacks with two -conductor wire, not balanced.

Hope this helps, Dana O.
Thanks Dana but a bit expensive for me!

Sammy

Anyone want to comment on my four choices! Only had one reply re the planet wave patch cables!

Austinrocks

sorry, so happy with my georgeLs, really had not needed to look at the more expensive options, and since they are 90 degree angles work well with the effects.

GtrWiz

I'd advise against GL's unless you like having to hunt down witch one has gone bad in the middle of a song...

Ive owned and used planet waves and george ls
they both sound great, but george l's have a history of reliability issues, not with everyone, but enough to weigh in on your decision...they are a giant pain in the arse for some to make the connections, and then eventually they crap out\

planet waves are easy to connect, Ive used em for 4 years roughly and have NEVER had one crap out ot have to re-cut and re-connect...

with the george l's I cut and re-connected them, they woulf work, and then crap out...I cut and reconnected a couple so many times I ran out of cable...screw them!!!

shawnshack

I recently bought some switch craft-like ends off ebay (new...but not the cheap hosa kind) and took an old monster guitar cable and made some like that. They are soldered, which took almost no time, but should hold up well. Anyone else ever do that? Cheaper than me buying a new kit :)

Cpt. Picard

I recently bought some switch craft-like ends off ebay (new...but not the cheap hosa kind) and took an old monster guitar cable and made some like that. They are soldered, which took almost no time, but should hold up well. Anyone else ever do that? Cheaper than me buying a new kit :)
Precisely what I did, couldn't be happier.

Buddy of mine had a pile of monster and a few mogamis that had busted up ends, cable was fine.

Apparently didn't care that you can just take them back for a free new one, more money than sense, I guess...

40' of free high quality cable should last me a while, methinks! :AOK

shawnshack

glad to know I'm not the only one. Surely more people have an extra cable lying around. The ends I bought were only $16.99 with free shipping on ebay for 12 ends. Takes about 5 minutes to make a cable to the exact length needed :AOK.

Precisely what I did, couldn't be happier.

Buddy of mine had a pile of monster and a few mogamis that had busted up ends, cable was fine.

Apparently didn't care that you can just take them back for a free new one, more money than sense, I guess...

40' of free high quality cable should last me a while, methinks! :AOK

Sammy

The entire Derek Trucks Band uses PW...so do Warren Haynes and Robben Ford. I plan on picking some up this weekend.

Thanks, second recommendation for the PW's I am going to go with them. Have been happy with their guitar leads and less happy with the George L's which are very stiff plus one came unsoldered!

normal ninja

Where would you get that vandamme cable? - it looks interesting. I only find it available outside the US - and in a spool of 100 metres.

*edit* OIC - u r in teh UK

Austinrocks

Ive owned and used planet waves and george ls
they both sound great, but george l's have a history of reliability issues, not with everyone, but enough to weigh in on your decision...they are a giant pain in the arse for some to make the connections, and then eventually they crap out\

planet waves are easy to connect, Ive used em for 4 years roughly and have NEVER had one crap out ot have to re-cut and re-connect...

with the george l's I cut and re-connected them, they woulf work, and then crap out...I cut and reconnected a couple so many times I ran out of cable...screw them!!!
:roll:thud

really sorry to hear that you have all those problems, stay at home and be safe dude.

Trending Topics