Which pedal for unwanted feedback or noise?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JJK, Jan 2, 2008.

1. JJK

JJK Member

When I play through my amp, many times I get unwanted noise, especially when using my fuzz and Fulldrive at the same time. What pedal would be good to get rid of this noise? Would a Boss Noise Suppressor do the trick? What about a Compressor or EQ by Boss?

2. JJK

JJK Member

Also, I usually play right next to my desktop, would this have something to do with the feedback?

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If the problem is noise when you're not playing, yes a noise gate (Boss, ISP Decimator, Rocktron Hush etc) will work.

If the problem is noise while you're playing, it won't really. The only things you can do are to move further away from the source of the interference, add shielding to the guitar (only marginally effective, usually), or fit hum-canceling/noiseless pickups.

A compressor will make things worse. A full compression/expansion noise reduction system (with the pedals in the loop) might help, but only at the expense of changing the feel and response of your drive pedals. The Boss does have a loop but it's to allow the gate to be controlled by the input signal instead of the output, not a comp/ander.

4. JJK

JJK Member

What about the Analogman GE-7 Pro Mod? It says on the site description that it will help with noise when using distortion pedals.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Let's start at the beginning. What causes noise in your signal chain while playing guitar?
    1. Pickups: single coil pickups can amplify magnetic fields from monitors, flourescent lights, motors or dirty power. Moving to humbucker pickups often helps this a lot but you have to think a little about WHICH humbuckers to use-unpotted ones (like PAFs, Seth Lovers) can still have some noise due to things moving slightly inside the pickup. Suhr? makes a plate that you can install on the back of strat type instruments that largely cancels out single coil hum.
    2. Wires, solder, cables: your pickups send the signal to the pots and output jacks internally thru wires soldered onto the components and then externally thru the cables. If these are cheap, badly soldered or poorly shielded, they'll cause noise.
    3. Pedals: here's where it gets messy. All guitar/cable combinations will have some built in noise, so will all pedals. When you send the signal into a distortion/compressor/boost pedal, it makes the noise louder, When you send it into a second pedal, it makes it even louder. I have the luxury of a lot of overdrive pedals, so I had a chance to try a bunch of combinations to see what worked. Having two overdrives in the same box is the best solution (like the Route66 stuff, the Zim etc) because there're minimal connections to increase noise in the circuit. If you don't have that option, then you have to try things out to find out what plays well together. For my money, the FDII is a great pedal, but it IS very noisy combined with other ODs. The Fuzz Face is another classic circuit, but not known for low noise. I'd suggest you take your amp and guitar to a decent store and try out a bunch of things till you find a combination you like the sound of that works for your needs. Or just buy a Zim with a HS9 (like the FDII) and a fuzz card.

BTW, I've got Fralin pickups in my Fleischman. They sound absolutely GREAT, easily as good as my original 57 pickups, BUT they are noisy as heck! Still, if you're thinking of replacing them, you're not going to find a humbucking pickup that sounds as good. For that application the Suhr backplate would be perfect!

As for using a pedal to eliminate the hum, I'm not really impressed with the options. Pretty sure the GE7 mod helps only a little. Noise gate pedals like the Decimator and the Hush only work between notes, so they didn't hellp my problems at all...

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Does your computer have a big CRT monitor or an LCD monitor? CRT's give out a lot more interference and could be causing some of your noise problems. Electronics in general can cause noise - try putting your cell phone up to your pickups on your guitar and you'll get the picture.

7. freaksho

freaksho Member

i have an Arion distortion pedal that i got when i was 15 that i'll give you for free. it provides all the unwanted noise and feedback you would ever need.

wait . . . maybe i misunderstood the question.