1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Which pedal gets close to Joe Bonamassa tone when using a clean amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Burstbucker, May 23, 2011.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I have a Twin Reverb 100w 2x12 combo which of course is super clean(and super LOUD!) and I also have a 1970 Traynor YBA-1 BassMaster 50W head(which is basically a Bassman/JTM45 type of circuit).

They both take pedals quite well and the Traynor gets pretty crunchy when turned up past 12 o'clock on the volume dial but then that's too loud sometimes.

I love that old shool Marshall tone that Joe Bonamassa gets, I realize that he's usually playing through something like a Marshall Silver Jubilee when he gets those sounds.

Is there a pedal that would work great with either one of my amps in order to get close to that fat, midrangey semi-clean, semi-compressed, old school Marshall tone that Bonamassa gets?

Something that would allow this kind of tone at lower volumes too when needed?

I've already got a few good stompboxes but they aren't really getting me to where I want to be, here's what I've got:

Fulltone OCD, PlimSoul and Full-Drive 2, Maxon 0D808, Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, and various Fuzz pedals.

Maybe there's a pedal out there that would get me closer to that tone that I haven't tried yet. Maybe I should concentrate on getting a pedal to go with the Traynor BassMaster, since that's already in the old vintage Marshall ballpark?

Maybe I need to be shopping for an amp rather then a pedal? I'm not sure which way to go on this.

Any opinions would be appreciated here. Thanks in advance!

2. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

i just got a zvex box of rock and it sounds like total bonamassa through my deville...you could also get a fuzzface for his other tones...im not playing much of his style, but when I plugged in the zvex with my ibanez hollow it made me think of that Royal Albert sound, anyway i think the pedal is just a really convincing marshall sound through a clean amp, give it a try!

3. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

he also uses the pork loin

4. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I think a Catalinbread DLS would get you close. It is very 'Marshall-y' and powered at 18v, responds a lot like a cooking amp.

I know when I A/B the DLS with my attenuated Superbass, they are close.

5. PedalOnPedalOff

PedalOnPedalOff Member

i gotta say with the stuff you have you should be able to get close to it. especially with the plimsoul. try your fulltone stuff at 18 volts. i have the same 3 OD's as well and all of them are at 18v.

6. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

+1 These can get you right there, and sound great into a Twin.

7. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I used to own a USA Box Of Rock and when I sat it beside the OCD and did a side by side comparison, they were REALLY similar, the only difference that I noticed was that the OCD had a tighter low end and maybe cleaned up a bit better when rolling back the guitar's volume knob.

Both are good pedals but since they were so similar, to my ears anyway, one of them had to go, so I ditched the BOR.

I've heard about running the Fulltone dirt pedals at 18 volts, where did you guys find an 18 volt adaptor?