Jangle Box
Compressor

Keely 2 knob Comp

Seymour Duncan Pickup Boost

TC Electronic Ditto Loop Pedal

New Source Audio Programmable EQ Equalizer Pedal

Boss Tuner

EH Hum Debugger ( Could Eliminate)

I have no interest in Midi at this point, but realize most of these units have Midi on them.

From what I have read if you have one of these Pedal Switchers leaving any of the loops empty is a NO-NO.

Currently using Jackson Scarlet . SO I have an effects loop but as a general rule been running the Reverb and Delay through the front .

I've looked at the Vodoo lab PX8 . Seems like the most straight forward of the bunch. I guess I am wondering do I really need one at all? Most of the video's I see with guys using them . The pedals are complex - Many look digital .

I'm just using basic pedals DO you guys have any other suggestions Or do I even need one. I have a Patch box that I occasionally use to run the Verb and Delay thru the FX Loop on the AMP. But can't honestly hear a major difference if any at all.

The Jackson Amp doesn't really have what I would call a High gain channel

Any input for or against or different until is appreciated:

Glitch Magnet

I'm very happy with the basic 4-loop Pedal Switcher from VooDoo Lab. And no, there's no problem with leaving a loop unused ... at least not on this product. You can use one or more of these as straight-forward switchers, and if you want, add the Commander later. Or, you can buy the PX-8 and have essentially two Pedal Switcher and the Commander in one box.

These will absolutely clean up your signal and make it easier to switch everything. I highly recommend these.

Dunzie

There's some good deals to be had on some of the switchers right now at loop-master.com - some are on sale for fairly significant savings. I have two... a 5-loop master bypass and a 4-loop strip.

JSteed

Another vote for Loopmaster. Great product, great price.

Why do you feel you need a pedal switcher? If you're using good quality patch cables I doubt you're getting any massive 'tone suck' (this is a myth perpetuated by people who sell buffers ;)) with those few pedals. This is an honest question though, because it might decide a.) if you need one at all and b.) if you do, whether you need a basic one, or whether you should look into something with a tuner out/master bypass/presets etc.

I use one so I can turn on/off multiple pedals at once, or completely bypass them all with the switch of one button. Couldn't live without it.

Rick57

I have considered a loop master . They are saying 12 weeks to get one. Even what they have on sale is not in Stock. I really don't know that I do need one. Maybe I don't or if I do something more basic like the 4 loop from Vodoo . How long did you wait to get a loop master? I suppose it's based on what you order.

Loop-Master

All orders are built and shipped in about 6-8 weeks as currently stated in the FAQ section of the site. Not 12. :)

Rick57

Another vote for Loopmaster. Great product, great price.

Why do you feel you need a pedal switcher? If you're using good quality patch cables I doubt you're getting any massive 'tone suck' (this is a myth perpetuated by people who sell buffers ;)) with those few pedals. This is an honest question though, because it might decide a.) if you need one at all and b.) if you do, whether you need a basic one, or whether you should look into something with a tuner out/master bypass/presets etc.

I use one so I can turn on/off multiple pedals at once, or completely bypass them all with the switch of one button. Couldn't live without it.
All orders are built and shipped in about 6-8 weeks as currently stated in the FAQ section of the site. Not 12. :)
I notice you say none of the Buffer BS in the descriptions. Are they not needed . Or does it screw up something?

Loop-Master

That means I don't build them into the switchers. If a buffer is needed, it's best IMO to chose your own and place it where you want it and have the flexibility of moving it later on if needed.

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
Anyone able to comment on the Carl Martin Octa Switch? Worth owning?

Also, what's a good price point for a used model in excellent shape? $250?

The Jungles

Smuggler of Funk
I have been using the Decibel 11 Switch Doctor for about a month now and I highly recommend it.
It has 4 loops, 3 MIDI channels and can also switch channels on your amp as part of the programmed patches. The price is very reasonable in the marketplace and the quality seems great.

The only two 'downsides' (if you want to call them that) I could see are that it is a big large compared to some other switchers like Disaster Area, and it only has 4 loops which is small for some folks. For what you are talking about it should be fine.
View media item 1911

Alchemy Audio

Anyone able to comment on the Carl Martin Octa Switch? Worth owning?

Also, what's a good price point for a used model in excellent shape? $250?
I've owned them a few times and currently have one for sale on Reverb.com. Very solid construction but they take up such a huge footprint compared to similar options.

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
I have been using the Decibel 11 Switch Doctor for about a month now and I highly recommend it.
It has 4 loops, 3 MIDI channels and can also switch channels on your amp as part of the programmed patches. The price is very reasonable in the marketplace and the quality seems great.

The only two 'downsides' (if you want to call them that) I could see are that it is a big large compared to some other switchers like Disaster Area, and it only has 4 loops which is small for some folks. For what you are talking about it should be fine.
View media item 1911
Can't say THIS ^^^^^ enough.

metro6audio

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Disaster Area DPC-4EZ and I love it. If I had room, I'd move up to the DPC-5, but for now my board is packed too tightly to add another pedal anyway.

datriani

I have a DPC-5 and it's good unit but the learning curve is pretty steep, the instructions are a bit confusing but the videos helps tremendously. However, I'm using a lot of the midi functionality which is really the complex part so you might not have the learning issues that I had. But overall a good product and is very well built.

For your situation I would consider the DPC8 http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dpc-8ez. You could throw your compressor and boost pedals (I'm assuming your're running the SD PB in front of your amp) with the 1st 4 loops in the DPC8 and the run your delay, reverb, EQ and looper pedal in the 2nd group of 4 loops through your amp's effects loop. if you want to run all of it in front of your amp, you can disconnect the 4CBM and just run straight from the DPC8 outputs. If you decide you want this capability, I would suggest getting a patchbay for your pedalboard to simplify the connections. http://www.loop-master.com/pedalboard-patchbay-p-155.html?osCsid=qrhh1kbe4bj5h32qavhos8tot2

With the midi functionality on the DPC8, you could use the Source Audio EQ's midi capabilities and access all 4 presets.

I've had other switchers in the past and the one thing that I'm not a huge fan of with the Disaster area products is that although they're small and compact, the spacing of the switches are reflective of that and you have to be careful when switching. I think the voodoo lab, although bigger is a better option if you're concerned about being able to switch presets cleanly. Obviously, this is a user error problem but something you should consider. I haven't owned a PLX8 but have had the Ground Control Pro and remember the ergonomics being well thought out.

From my experience, running effects in front of the amp at lower volumes isn't usually an issue. It's when you crank it up in a live setting that the distorted echos and reverb becomes more noticeably less precise in sound. Are you playing out or do you plan on playing out? If so, I would recommend building your rig around having the effects in the effects loop of the amp unless you prefer the sound of effects in front of the amp, personal preference. I like having time based effects after the gain stage(s).

Trending Topics