which pedal to get plate reverb tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnny67, Nov 12, 2005.

1. johnny67

johnny67 Guest

Is there any pedals out there that can simulate the old plate reverb like used in recordings of early Rolling Stones songs like Tell Me,Not Fade Away-& early mono recordings of songs from the stones albums like:England's Newest Hitmakers,12 x 5 & the Rolling Stones Now-any advise would be great on what pedal to get to try to achieve the plate reverb sound-thanks!

2. Legend

Legend Member

The line6 verbzilla has a plate setting.

3. jgyn

jgyn Member

My Boss RV-2 hase a plate setting.

4. covert

covert Member

To me teh question is why would you want to? Few things sound less natural than a non spring reverb coming out of an amp. If you want that sound, get a good reverb unit out at the sound desk, and have your sound guy add it there.

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Well, he might want it because:
    1) he doesn't have a sound guy (I don't, anyway), and
    2) he likes the sound (as I do, too).

It may not sound natural, but it sounds cool. There are lots of unnatural cool sounds that people go for in their electric guitar music - ZVex and G.S. Wylie have made a decent living on that. I'd actually been asking around where to find a plate reverb pedal when this thread came up, so I'm glad he asked.

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

There is an H & K Replex reverb clip at the bottom of this page. Many say the reverb is poor on this unit, but it may have potential if dialed in correctly. I have one on the way, so I guess I'll find out.

7. Legend

Legend Member

What is "natural" sounding about spring reverb? Spring reverb hardly sounds like natural reverb by any stretch. Perhaps you've just grown accustomed to that unnatural reverb sound due to it being so common. It's no more natural then plate reverb, just a different flavor. Imagine if all those amps over the years used plate reverb instead of spring (I know, illogical from a design standpoint, but still).

8. johnny67

johnny67 Guest

Thanks for the info!:dude I just wanted to know how to get the sound & of course people will have different views which are welcome-when I hear spring reverb I think of surf music & now I know that plate reverb is what the stones & beatles used on their early recording! which does sound almost like an enhanced tone (like a rich reverb delayed like tone).

9. covert

covert Member

Okay, I grant it's a conditioned thing. With the exception of some metal types of things, I consider a touch of spring to be part of how an electric guitar sounds. Yeah, I'm opinionated. If all those amps had had plates in them, they'd have been too big and heavy to move.

As far as the Stones et al, many songs were recorded on twins, and probably had some spring, and many also may have had chamber added, during the mix.

10. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

the various boss verbs and the digitech all have a plate setting. i don't use a plate all that often for guitar, but when i do i roll down the hi-cut a good bit as it can get a quite spiky sounding. i tend to favor small, short room sounds on those things, because the tails (reverb decay) on longer settings are really bad sounding.

any digital reverb pedal will always sound far, far better in a loop if your amp has one (and preferrably a parallel loop). it's a big comprisise when you plug a verb pedal in the front of your amp, and it always will be. and yeah, it really bugs me because i use vintage amps and really wish i had a dang loop in one to utilize!