1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Which pedal to get present Smashing Pumpkins distortion? (Diezel/Bogner dist.)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Zillie, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Zillie

Zillie Member

Hi,
    I know there was a poll about SD tone and I can get that tone but what should I use to get dist. tones from newer albums? I use vintage strat with low output pickups and none of my hi-gain pedals can get me there...
    Z.Vex Box Of Metal or Toneczar Openhaus might be the right ones but I don't own neither of those. Would you suggest one of those or anything else?

Thanks

2. Zillie

Zillie Member

bump...no one really knows?:(

3. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

I remember a pedal called the "Creamy Dreamer" that was used by Billy Corgan a few years ago, not sure if that helps or not. Good luck in your search.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i'm very interested too... his new sound is very different from his big muff siamese dream days.... still hear a little bit of fender blender though.

bump for an answer

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Billy Corgan has a massive rack of outboard gear. If youre talking about the Machina type sound that he gets now that hes using high gain heads, you just aren't going to get it with a pedal or an amp. I had a Diezel and it didn't sound anything like that. Im convinced that it would take everything he has and a miracle to get that sound.

6. Zillie

Zillie Member

oh, i've always thought it was only distortion from his hi-gain amps and if it doesn't sound like he, it has to be processed through his rack tools and who knows how it works... anyway, thanks for your answer. i wanted a pedal that can do "hi-gain-diezel-bogner-whatever thing" but if it can't help me to get close to his tone, it isn't worth it then

7. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

there is this boss mt-2 diezel mod by someone i forgot the name of at ebay quite often. haven't played it but got goot references....

zvex box of metal should get you there maybe too...?

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

that's the humphrey slo-diezel mod.

9. Zillie

Zillie Member

yeah, i heard about that mod too but the problem is that only Diezel can't get their tone (as it was said here) so... i don't really know:confused: but at least that modded mt-2 is not as expensive as Box of Metal...i'll probably try to get one

10. RDM

RDM Senior Member

An MT-2 will not get you close, even with the best of the best mods done to it. Don't waste your money. Try a box of metal. That will get you closest.

11. Zillie

Zillie Member

i saw the video on zvex website and i really liked it...only the price tag is an issue, but if i don't like it, i can always re-sell it. i've seen box of metal as the no.1 choice since i opened this thread, but i wanted to know other opinions