Which pedals are known for a particularly good "shimmer reverb" effect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Barnzy, May 1, 2016.

1. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Hi guys,
    Long time TGP'er here, but I am really late to the reverb pedal party. I recently got an EQD Ghost Echo used, and really enjoyed it's sound. That led me to a second reverb, the Boss RV-6. I really like all the modes on the RV-6. But I have plenty of uses for that shimmer mode...really enjoy it. I am completely new to "shimmer" as an effect and now need some advice here to catch up. What pedals are known to have a particulary good "shimmer" algorithm?
    Thanks,
    Barnzy

2. papersun

papersun Member

can't compare it to the rv-6 as I haven't played one, but the neunaber seraphim has the best skimmer I've heard.

edit:shimmer, not skimmer, dang you straight to heck autocorrect.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. Onemileguy

Onemileguy Member

Bluesky strymon???? Anyone? ;)

Barnzy likes this.
  4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I used to own an EHX Holy Grail, which had a Flerb function that was shimmery, but i think that was more of a flanger and reverb combo. Hmm, i had a line 6 Verbzilla with an Octo setting that was closer. But I currently have a Boss RV-6 as well, and that's all i need as far as that effect is concerned.

Barnzy likes this.
  5. The Villano Dude

The Villano Dude Member

6. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Eventide Space/H9
    Neunaber Seraphim
    Strymon Blue Sky/Big Sky
    Line 6 Verbzilla
    Walrus Descent

Barnzy likes this.
  7. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

The best around, as far as I'm concerned, is the GFI Specular 2.

Please do yourself a favor and make sure you check it out before you make your choice!

drod2045 and Barnzy like this.
  8. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

Neunaber Seraphim, hands down.

And that's just the mono version.

9. minty901

minty901 Member

it really depends on the application.

for shimmers with a slow bloom that adds angel choirs to your reverb in a smooth and not-so-obvious way, where the shimmer kind of mixes in with the reverb and isnt shrill -- neunaber seraphim is great for this.

for a shimmer where you get this quick and clear shine that appears after your guitar signal like a sputter of light. its obvious and it sits a bit more separate from your reverb signal but works well as an "effect" (like youre doing sparkly, more percussive sounds)... most shimmers fall more in this category. i love the boss rv6 for this. set the tone really high and the decay short. its like this little orbs of light are following your guitar round and spurting out photons with every note you play.

the big sky is awesome for weirder and different shimmer sounds that are still usable and controllable (you can change the pitch interval and even do lower octave shimmers).

for something thats definitely in a different shimmer category to your rv6 i recommend the seraphim. before you do anything make sure you experiment with the tone knob on your rv6 in shimmer mode. it drastically effects the character of the shimmer, not just the reverb itself. put the tone at 9 and you barely hear any octaves anymore, but you still get the dark and heavenly vibe that they provide.

p.mo and Barnzy like this.
  10. guitar29

guitar29 Supporting Member

Neunaber is the best I've come across.

ChaseTMP and Barnzy like this.
  11. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Thanks for the RV-6 tips...suprisingly the manual is not particularly well written and I was wondering if there was more going on with the dials than just tone and time.....I need more practice with mine for sure....

12. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

As far as shimmer reverbs go, I've owned the Strymon Big Sky, Blue Sky, Line6 M9, DigiTech Supernatural and Eventide H9.
    The one I currently have is the Blue Sky. The shimmer is on the 'sparkly' side, but is one against which others are measured.

One thing that surprised me about the Eventide is that the Line6 appears to be modeled after it. It has that slight glide/portamento thing going, and 'blooms' a bit warmer rather than 'glistening'.
    That's what I thought, anyway.

13. sleewell

sleewell Member

14. blackba

blackba Member

I have the boss RV6 and totally agree on the manual. Its terrible. It doesn't mention key features like the tone knob's function in the shimmer mode or that the time knob adjusts the delay time in the Delay + Reverb mode. I also notice that that wetness level changes by preset, so a hall setting with the level at 12oclock is much wetter than a plate setting or spring setting with the level at 12oclock. The other reverb I had is a digitech RV7 and it doesn't have shimmer, but all presets are the same wetness.

Check out the sweetwater demo video, its much better than the manual. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RV6

As to your question, the Strymon BlueSky is the best shimmer I have heard, but I haven't auditioned that many. I got the RV6 on last month and so far it is meeting my needs. I am still learning to work shimmer into my playing and where to set the tone knob on the RV6.

One thing I like to bring up in reverb is whether you want stereo or not. For me it was an option I wanted to have as I run stereo from time to time. That eliminated a good deal of pedals like the lovepedal HSR-3, Keeley Caverns, Red Panda Context, etc.

Barnzy likes this.
  15. 68Injunhed

68Injunhed Supporting Member

IMO for that effect, Big Sky is the one. Not only does it do the effect from subtle to completely over the top, the variety of voices you can turn the shimmer into is where it really stands apart.

16. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

There's no such thing as a "good" shimmer, was hoping that effect was on the way out........choir of angels, give me a break.

17. Yarnhawk

Yarnhawk Member

Mr Black Eterna is another one worth looking into.

18. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

POG2 and a delay - but that's (2) pedals

Sunstone Recordings and amdowell like this.
  19. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

I believe shimmer has a place in certain styles and songs, just not very often in what I play. I look at it as a 'bonus' setting in my Supernatural, for which I use mainly for spring, plate, and plate mod.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  20. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

And the Eterna Gold. I have one coming in this week. I was using the count to five to get a shimmer sound, but sold it when I realized there's a pedal dedicated to that one job.