Which Pedals for my "new" JCM 800, 2204

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bosstone, Mar 25, 2008.

1. bosstone

bosstone Member

I started looking for a head version of the 83 JCM 800 50 twin with Rola Celestion G12-65s about the day after I sold it and got a bad case of seller's remorse. Last weekend I scored a 1982 2204 in fair cosmetic but very clean and bone stock original electrical condition. These amps aren't all that high gain and I won't do any major mods to it. I would like to push it into the next gear on occasion. What would you recommend? Clean boost? I would also like to have a real nice fuzz. What are some good fuzz choices? I am leaning toward the K R Gypsy Fuzz.

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

Come on now. Someone has to have some opinions on this one.

3. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Member

I use original ts808 on mine. It rocks. Depending on where you set the output and gain you can get several good tones. I also use a SD pickup booster for a different variety of tone. More of a straight up rock sound. No bass loss either.

BTW, I sent my vl502 to Trace at voodoo amps to work a little magic on it. Needed new caps and he's doing one of his mods on it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Schaf

4. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

My favorite pedals for lighting up the front ends of marshalls are tubescreamers or ts variants...level full up,tone and gain to taste..sooooo many to choose from too. They just sound "right" together..Even the bad monkey works AWESOME for this.

5. freaksho

freaksho Member

i used a Zvex BoR with my 2204 with great success. and being an OD and a clean boost all in one pedal, it offers a couple different flavors. it's mostly designed to push Marshalls.

one of the things i like best is that at milder gain settings it is quite difficult to tell the difference between the pedal and my my 2204 set to the same gain level (say 3-5 on preamp knob). very convincing simulation of natural tube OD, imo.

edit:
    i should also add that i use it only for lighter distortion settings (below half) to boost my already driven amp into oblivion or to give light OD to clean amp. above about the halfway point the low end starts to get muddy/flubby.

6. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Boss OD/SD-1 is my favorite on these Marshalls. I also use a FD2M with it and get pretty good tones out of it but the Boss just has a special clank that works with it.

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

I am going to have to get an 808 one of these days. I had an original Aramat Green Machine which some say is even better than the original 808's and uses the same diode. I have been kinking myself for selling it.

I was very impressed with what voodoo labs has to offer for the VL amps. I still have my VL 502 and still think it is a fantastic amp. I just sold a very nice Boogie MKIIC+ Simul Class and kept the VL if that gives you an indication.

Thanks for the suggestions.

8. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

MXR/CAE GT-OD and the Xotic BB are my 2 main boosts for my JCM800 and Plexi.

9. ~Naylor38~

~Naylor38~ Member

+1 on the Boss OD ... tightens up the bottom while still letting your fingers and attack do all the work.

10. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I use a bad monkey and BB as clean boosts. I stack them for fatter leads as the BB fattens and the monkey cuts. I play rythm mostly with the Bad Monkey on my plexi clone and JCM 800. I am waiting on a soldano hot mod though.. that will probably remove the need for pedals with the JCM.

11. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Mxr micro amp and an 0D-3 worked for me when I had that amp

12. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I have a 1982 2204 as well, out of all the pedals I own (botique and mass produced) nothing sounds better to my ears than a STOCK Boss SD-1 pushing the front end.

Cheers,

CJ

13. PCollen

PCollen Member

I like my Barber Direct Drive II, with the adjustable low-freq control inside, with all the amps I've used it with. Great tone, and very reasonably priced.

14. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

PCollen, does that direct drive compress at all? When i listen to the clips it sounds like it compresses a tad when you apply more gain. How is it as a clean boost? Personally i am not in love with my BB and looking to replace it on my plexi.

15. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Member

I'm using a Keeley SD-1 to push my JMP2203, been using it for 3 1/2 years, only got it modded last year though.

16. n.j.

n.j. Member

ProAnalog Dirt Royale w/ Cheeze - hands down the best pedal I've ever heard with an 800. Thick, rich, greasy. Two stages of boost, plenty of gain assuming the amp is already working. Awesome pedal.

Maxon OD820 or Homebrew Powerscreamer - great for leads, very smooth, less excellent for rhythm playing.

17. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

Hi, vintage jcm 800 owner here.
    DO NOT try BJFE pedals with your JCM, or your money will be gone because you will end up buying more than one. ;)

Hotcake is great, Zendrive is cool to, but th bjfe's are fine as wine.

18. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

For fun i busted out my stock SD-1 last night... its more cutting than the monkey and not as flat and natural EQ wise but it has its own thing going on. Good for cutting leads.. bottom line is that most overdrives probably kick ass with a JCM 800.

19. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

I did a fly in gig in Vegas and used a JCM800, I used 2 pedals for gain and set the amp clean, a hughes and kettner tube factor and a marshall jackhammer, the jackhammer is a great pedal and super cheap, it sounded very nice

20. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

Bst tone I get is from either my TS808 reissue or my original Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue.