Which Phase Shifter to get?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by monte, Feb 13, 2008.

1. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

I want to toy around with the Van Halen-ish sound. Can I get that with a HBE phase shifter or do I need an MXR Phase 90

Thanks for any help
    Monte

2. monte

3. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I have the HBE and LOVE it...but I've never had an mxr nor have I tried to emulate the "Van Halen-ish" sound. I have heard people say that it can do the phase 90 thing plus much more, so I'm guessing you'll do quite well with the HBE.

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I have an EVH Phase 90 and it definitely nails the Van Halen sound, but that's ALL it does. It's a very thick, intense effect and since there's no mix or depth knob you can't make it more subtle. (The Script button dials things back a little but it's still a very intense effect). It sounds cool, but personally I probably would not buy one again...I'd prefer something a bit more versatile that could provide more varied flavors and subleties to the phase effect.

5. monte

Awesome help guys! HBE it is. I am not an EVH guy, just want to play around a little but would rather something that I can use for other styles.
    Thanks for the help.
    Monte

6. wbfree

wbfree Member

Moogerfogger MP 103 LFO/Phaser versatile but expensive, The EVH Pahse 90 is a puppy in comparison-not that it is bad-just doesn't hold a candle to the 103.

7. Doodles

Doodles Member

analogman's modded small stones are pretty decent for the price. You could probably pick one up even cheaper on ebay!!

8. monte

i actually picked up a mint HBE last night. I think I will be happy with it.
    Thanks again