• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which Phaser pedal can get closest to a Vibe?

GASaholic

I know they are different sounds but which phaser can get me closest?

For a player that doesn't seriously need one for authentic Trower-like performances but would like to sometimes get as near the sound as possible for home playing?

Is there such a pedal?

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
mxr phase 45!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even an old, cheap, block-logo one. . .

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I use the discontinued TC Electronics XII phaser, set at "12"filter setting w/ the bass tone plug. Definitely does the vibe thing. The XIIBK version even does vibe better. The filter is key to the vibe sound.

GASaholic

I use the discontinued TC Electronics XII phaser, set at "12"filter setting w/ the bass tone plug. Definitely does the vibe thing. The XIIBK version even does vibe better. The filter is key to the vibe sound.
So really the key is the more stages on a phaser, the closer to a vibe 'throb'?

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
orogeny said:

Agreed. Find a used Mojo Hand Nebula for a great take on this.

Martyk

Dano Chicken Salad is marvelous and cheap cheap cheap. Do the mod or not, but I'm liking mine a lot. Puts the lie to some higher priced toys.

5cent

i dig the cool cat vibe more than the chicken salad, as it gets way faster, and the "mix" control is external. such a useful modulation pedal.

TREV FLINT

So really the key is the more stages on a phaser, the closer to a vibe 'throb'?
I'm not sure if this is correct. I can get close to a vibe sound with my Empress Phaser on the 2 stage setting. The 3 and 4 stage settings sound more phasey then vibey to me, but I am no Vibe expert.

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member
A 2 stage phaser is your best bet, of which there is a big gaping hole in the market. There are only a few choices: MXR Phase 45, Mojo Hand Nebula, DOD 201, and that's about it. I think the VFE Phaser switches to a 2 stage mode, and I think the Red Witch has a 2 stage mode. The Red Witch is pricey though. I own a 45 and enjoy it.

wolfpack

Silver Supporting Member
I've tried that & prefer the opposite.
Lowering the intensity on my Mojovibe gives me all the phase :love: I need.

hclapp219

A 2 stage phaser is your best bet, of which there is a big gaping hole in the market. There are only a few choices: MXR Phase 45, Mojo Hand Nebula, DOD 201, and that's about it. I think the VFE Phaser switches to a 2 stage mode, and I think the Red Witch has a 2 stage mode. The Red Witch is pricey though. I own a 45 and enjoy it.
The Blackout Effectors Whetstone has a switch to do either 2 or 4 stage. It's also on the pricey however (mainly because it can do just about everything...).

dani

tonefactor/mojohand nebula.. had a cs phase 45 and the nebula knocked it off the board.

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
The CS Phase 45 and Nebula are very good vibe impersonators.

The 2 stage phaser in my Modfactor is pretty comparable when set up right too!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Doesn't a vibe also have an asymmetrical waveform? I know there's a switch on my Toneczar phaser to turn it into a vib...

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member

Of the Phase 45s....the old, vintage block logo models are the best.

Regarding MXR, I much prefer their block logo phasers because they are thicker, warmer and cut better than the script models.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Wombtone mkii in 2-stage mode gets really close. Triangle wave on front and sine on the back w the shape control at about 9:00 to mimic the vibe wave shape. It's close enough to fool someone.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom