• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Which pickup for rhythm?

On 2 humbucker guitar which pickup do you use mostly for rhythm playing?

• Bridge

• Neck

• Both (middle position)

• Depends on situation (desired tone, effects used, clean or overdriven)

Results are only viewable after voting.

thetourist

When playing on 335 or Les Paul type guitar, which pickup do you use mostly for rhythm playing?

Please let me know the reasons!

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Gold Supporting Member
Whoops...sorry to mess up your poll (I chose the wrong one by accident)

Blingdogg

I like the bridge position for a brighter, crunchier rhythm tone. It's more articulate and I like that.

I like switching to the neck pickup for soloing. I like the warm, smooth tone it gives.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
For clean its Neck or middle

For dirty its bridge or middle

The bridge is WAY too strident for clean tones and neck is WAY too dark and muddy for dirty tones.

Come to think of it... for rhythm I would take a strat or Tele anyday over my HB guitars.

bassethound

Being an admittedly average player, I've always felt (to my ears at least) that the neck pickup is better for covering up my mistakes. I hardly ever use my bridge pickup unless I need some real bite on a lead.

Pat Healy

Bridge for:
-Chimey, lightly overdriven, picked rhythm parts a la the Beatles or The Byrds
-Aggressive, heavily distorted, metal rhythm parts

Neck for:
-Most clean rhythm tones
-Throaty, lightly distorted rhythm tones a la CCR

Both together for:
-Medium and hard rock tones
-Everything else

slyzspyz

got a 335 style guitar, tend to use the neck most, especially for clean or slightly dirty stuff. Having said that if there is not enough clarity I'll dial in some bridge. Can't stand the woolly tone that a lot of players get when you think of neck p/u (guilty myself too often)

thetourist

It might be an obvious question, but anyway - those of you who mostly plat on bridge, do you also deal in your amp eq while playing on bridge pickup?

Pat Healy

It might be an obvious question, but anyway - those of you who mostly plat on bridge, do you also deal in your amp eq while playing on bridge pickup?
No. I want the tonal differences between my various pickups to come through.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
For clean funk - middle
For crunchy Keef type and most rock - bridge
For Jazz comping - neck

Trending Topics