which pickup to match the XTC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by theunregistered, Feb 19, 2008.

1. theunregistered

theunregistered Member

Hi folks,

I bought a bogner ecstasy about 2 weeks ago. I love the sounds it delivers. However, I noticed my EVO2 pickup in the bridge position, though it worked great with my road king, doesn't really balance the XTC sounds (this combo resulting in too much upper mids and high frequencies). I was thinking a fatter pickup would suit better, but I'd rather not turning the lows into mud. What do you XTC owners think ? Which bridge pickup would do recommand ? (I mostly play vai/petrucci, some 7dust,KSE, and sometimes a little fusion)

2. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

not to be funny but thats a personal quest..if i was u i would go through as many used pickups as possible until u found the one...
    FWIW(when i had my xtc) i played a lespaul w/ 57 classics and it sounded gr8 i also played my flying v w/ 500t's and that was also gr8.......try a duncan custom custom if u have an ebony board or a maple board,thats a smoking midrange pickup....
    or write to one of the boutique pickup builders w/ a more better to the point description than what u told us here.
    good luck

3. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

I have an XYC 101B running through a Custom 4x12 built by Clarity Custom Cabinets with 2 Greenbacks and 2 Vintage 30s 8 ohms. The amp really loves both single coils and humbuckers. Some of my favorites have been the Gibson P100's and Lollars also if you are a tele player my Crook sounds awesome with a Voodoo Broadcaster in the Bridge and Lollar mini-hum in the neck. I just recently purchased a PRS 245 and those sound very good through it as well. You have a great amp there so you should not have a hard time getting a good tone. Good Luck

4. se7en

se7en Senior Member

Check out WCR and BareKnuckle pickups. If you must go Duncan, I'd get a Duncan Custom or Custom Custom. The JB has too many high mids.

5. Lution

Lution Member

Every pickup I've played through my XTC has sounded great, except I played a fender special edition tele that had a pearly gates plus in it that I wasn't able to dial out it's high end and still get the juice I wanted, but that might have been more the whole guitar and pickup combo that didn't jive well.

I would suggest playing with your eq settings and excursion switches. Try dialing down the treble, mid, and presence settings, going to M on the excursion, and B1 on the pre-eq.