Which power amp for my modeler? Rocktron Velocity 100 vs ART SLA 1

Hi all.

I'm looking for experiences with either or (preferably) both power amps. I will be using my modeler into the power amp and into a guitar cab. Currently I'm using a HD500 but I'm contemplating replacing it with a Digitech GSP1101.

I have a line on both power amps locally, so that's why I'm asking about those two specifically.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I don't think either one has enough power. Modelers like serious wattage if you're going with a SS amp. I'd look for a good 50 WPC tube amp like a Randall RT2/50 or get at least 300 WPC solid state.

I had a 150 WPC SS amp and it really suffered tone wise when pushed. It was fine for practice but would not have cut it at concert volume.

Sorry, I should have stated that I'll only be using it at home for the moment.

I'm a guitarist at heart but in my current band I'm sadly relegated to bass duty. I mean, I like playing bass but I would take guitar any day.

Thanks for the input :)

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I had an old Velocity, watch out for the pots if you're buying used, they crackle ... I had to change them all. The tube simulation next to a real tube power amp was not accurate IMHO.

For your application I'd recommend just getting an old '80s SS amp, like a Hafler. They weigh a ton, but mine was $75 and built like a tank. Also, stay away from anything with a fan ... very annoying for home use.

You can also pick up old '70 (big knob tuner) receivers for under $50. Again, built like a tank but super heavy.

The sound on these older amps are killer, the industry eventually changed to integrated circuits and smaller capacitors and the quality went down hill.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
People have reported good results with power amps from Carvin. I'd see if I could score as high powered one as I could afford off eBay.

Even at home you'll need some decent wattage to get any thump (or fullness) out of a SS amp.

Again, I'd make 300 watts a minimum.

ballhawk

Silver Supporting Member
I used a Velocity 120 for years on stage in exactly the same way as you intend to and was very happy 99% of the time. The other 1% was when we did gigs that required a lot of stage volume and I'd have some issues hearing myself, however, that was rare.

I used it with a lot of different gear including modelers (tonelab, zoom) and rack stuff. I bought that unit used and I still have it.

I tried the sla-1 once and was not impressed but that's my only experience with that amp. Good Luck.

zaboomafoo

If you don't need stereo, you can run SLA1 in bridged mode (260w 8ohm).

Fan tends to be noisy though which is annoying at lower volume.

There is also SLA2 which is 2x SLA1 and still 1U rack (very deep though).

zbf

chrisjnyc

Lots of decent amps out there, if you want something cheap, go with the EHX Magnum

Other options
Carvin
ART SLA2
Crate power brake
Matrix
ISP stealth

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm buying used and locally only - as shipping generally cost a fortune in Denmark. I have a line on used versions of both amps at decent prices as well. That's why I'm looking for info on these particular two.

Someone mentioned fans. Does the SLA1 have a fan?

I have an SLA1 that works fine for home playing. I have to agree that it is not particularly powerful but it is more than enough for my needs.
The SLA1 does have a fan but it doesn't bother me. I do have the amp mounted in a rack so the sound may be muted somewhat by the enclosure. I expect the fan would bother some so you might make sure it can be returned after a home test.
Well worth the $$.

Mark

drwiddly

I've not used the ART amps but own and have owned a few Rocktron amps and always found them reliable and good sounding ss amps. IMO the Velocity 300 is the best of the bunch but I had a Velocity 100 for a while and it was fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

briandshelby

I have a Velocity 100. It was loud enough for band practice powering a 2x12, but when I got a 4x12 it wasn't enough to keep up. The fan can be annoying if you want to play quietly, and it's always on if the unit's on.

For my POD HD Pro and 4x12 I ended up with a Velocity 300 - much preferred, with some sound adjustability ("Reactance" and "Presence") on the front panel and more guts for more speakers. No fan noise at low volumes. Actually, I've never heard the fan kick on - it may be switched so it's only on if you get really hot. If possible I'd save up for one of these over the 100, same rack space and more power and features. No experience with the SLA.

chrisjnyc

funny.

"solid state you need serious wattage... like 300 watts"
"get an EHX magnum" (44watts)
and some play thru PowerEngines (60w)
You would need a lot of solid state wattage to hang with a loud band but... the OP posted:

"Sorry, I should have stated that I'll only be using it at home for the moment. "

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
There is a velocity 300 for a steal in the classifieds here. I wish you would buy it so that I don't have to :)

23 Fretz

I'm using a CARVIN DCM200L power amp, running into a 2x12. I haven't needed to put the volume dials past 12 oclock on it onstage yet. love this unit.

100x2 stereo , 200 bridged, no fan, less than 5 lbs, reliable, extremely quiet for home use.

I tried an ART SLA1 and hated it. noisy as hell with that crap fan they put in them, and many of them are known for a buzz that's hard to get rid of.

MSLBend

I'd seriously consider a good keyboard amp for a modeler. Fuller response, plenty of power and punch and takes advantage of the modelers wider tone range.

MoPho

Formerly tripp2k
Silver Supporting Member
Don't underestimate the weight of the amp...word. I have the Velocity 300 and love it, but it is one heavy mofo. Add this to one of those better than average power massagers from Furman and you'll begin to elongate one of your arms carrying that crap around. I also have one of those new class d amps from Crown that I have in a bass rig with 1000w per channel. That amp is super light. I still preferred the Velocity.

forum_crawler

I tried an ART SLA1 and hated it. noisy as hell with that crap fan they put in them, and many of them are known for a buzz that's hard to get rid of.
This isn't my experience. I run an ART SLA-1 with my GSP1101 and while it does have a fan, I never hear it. Maybe I got the "golden" unit but I never hear the fan.

I run mine bridged for full power and it sounds great. Not as good as my EVH 5150 III 50W or my Mesa Roadster but I like the sounds the rig produces. The JC-120 cleans are very, very good.

CheeseGrater

I had the Velocity 100 for awhile. Should be good for playing at home and even some gigs. The key with it to run it at the minimum ohm ratings and in stereo to get all the power out of it. I you just plug one 16 cab into one side of it you'll be running at like 17 watts or something. I used the Velocity 100 for the clean/effects side of an A/B setup in a loud rock band and it never lacked for volume - but i ran in stereo @ 4ohms per side. I actually thought the velocity 100 sounded damn good - had some warmth to it.

I also had the 300 after that - better for sure, but didn't have it long before going tube.